News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Help me pick lol

Started by deano_ue, May 01, 2018, 11:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deano_ue

Spoiler

Need some opinion guys I have a gallery competition coming up at the end of the month and I can enter 4 colour prints, so I need to drop 2 of these. I picked thes 6 because they've been my most successful in other comps.

So which 2 do I drop. The 2 on the far right have been my most successful and are close to the judges tatstes so I'm pretty sure they will be going in.

The one that are dropped will still be entered but as projected images rather than prints.

So which's ones get the boot lol

Tomato

If the two on the right are the most appreciated, I would drop Harley and the lady in the purple jacket. The former is kinda boring... weak background, not as much contrast, leaving it a bit... plain. As for the Purple Jacket lady, the most dynamic portion might be the background, but it doesn't feel organic to the rest of the photo (I don't know if it's a photoshop with a background added or a backdrop, but in either case there's a wrongness to it).

By contrast, the smoking gentleman's simplicity works for the composition, bringing out details like the smoke from the cigar. And the digital touches to the lady in the fur cloak (I assume they're digital) seem much more organic to the photo.

daglob

Panther_Gunn

Gah!  I hate bandwagon-ing, but I must concur with the previous opinions.  In the end I probably would have come to the same conclusions, but the vegetable-that-is-a-fruit just used better (and more useful) words than I would have.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

BentonGrey

I'd mostly agree, though I'd keep Harley for the personality she has in comparison to the redhead. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

deano_ue

cheers for feedback guys, the strange thing is i just got my results from the Scottish international salon, and harley was my highest scorer with 13/15

the clown only scored 8/15, hell a black and white image i have that just won me a ribbon in sydney with 14/15 3 days ago only scored 9 in the scottish lol

there is no way to predict this stuff

daglob

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 01, 2018, 09:00:34 PM
I'd mostly agree, though I'd keep Harley for the personality she has in comparison to the redhead.

The redhead has oodles of personality.

BentonGrey

Well, ha, I guess we weren't too much help.  Still, congratulations, UE!

True, DG, but Harley has oodles more!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

deano_ue

Guys every shot bar the cigar and clown is the same person

daglob

Yeah, so, what's your point?

Deaths Jester

Quote from: deano_ue on May 01, 2018, 10:02:08 PM
cheers for feedback guys, the strange thing is i just got my results from the Scottish international salon, and harley was my highest scorer with 13/15

the clown only scored 8/15, hell a black and white image i have that just won me a ribbon in sydney with 14/15 3 days ago only scored 9 in the scottish lol

there is no way to predict this stuff

I think part of the reason you get such wide ranging results is due to what the judges are looking for - whether they want it natural looking or have a digital feel.  I have a feeling that the Clown scored an 8/15 because the judge looked at it and saw it as having more digital work to it than he liked while Harley looked more like a natural unblemished photo. That's just what I'm taking away those scores at least.  I'm not sure what the gallery competition that you are entering into is looking for, so I'm avoiding saying which you should enter.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

BentonGrey

Quote from: daglob on May 02, 2018, 06:35:50 PM
Yeah, so, what's your point?

Right, it's persona, not person, that matters.  ;)
God Bless

MikeB7

Hi UE!  Great work, super crisp and emotive all up in the atmosphere!  Good to see you!

MikeB7

Oh and the two that grabbed me the least were Purple Coat and Redhead