News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Weight of Being

Started by BentonGrey, May 06, 2018, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, I'm messing around with the weights of characters in MA, and I'm noticing that knockback seems to become almost nonexistent, even for super strong characters, past, maybe, 150.  I feel like maybe something's not working right, but I'm wondering if there are any guides to weights and knockback floating around. 

Also, I'm noticing a lot of characters with very specific weights, like 228.5 or something.  I feel like that's something to do with FFX, but I'm not sure what.  I don't want to mess anything up.  Any ideas?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

spydermann93

Recently, I've been putting a lot of my characters between 140-170 lbs with most humans falling around 140. I even put people like Superman and Thor at 190 rather than 520. It's pretty low by the game's standards, but it allows for strength 3 characters to more easily knock people around. Characters that light also go flying if punched by strength 8 or higher characters.

It's sadly one of the things that got changed between FF and FFvtTR. No idea why Irrational changed it so much. The first game was great with how it handled weight. Characters could be thrown into other characters and they would both be knocked back. Cars would send people flying rather than just bouncing off of them.

As for the specific numbers, I'm guessing that you're referring to built-in characters like Minuteman? Some of them are just made that way for balancing reasons or to get a specific weight. There aren't really any other reasons for it, that I can think of.

BentonGrey

Hmm, then it very well may be that something is not working right in my build.  I thought I had noticed a degradation of effect.  I've tested with Thing and Abomination slapping each other, and they barely knock each other over, even with their weight at 120.

:EDIT: So, after more testing, characters like Hulk are behaving more normally, despite the fact that he's the same weight as Thing and Abomination.  I thought it might be a matter of material, but they're all stone.  I can't see any cause for it in their attributes either.

Also, yeah, one of my enduring frustrations with this game is the awesomeness lost by the worse physics implementation.  Thrown item knockback by itself is a humongous loss.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

spydermann93

So the Thing and Abomination weigh the same as the Hulk (and have the same resistances), but get knocked back less? That's super strange. I haven't seen or experienced that one before.

Have they changed at all since your last MA release? I'll poke around sometime tomorrow and see if I notice anything strange.

BentonGrey

Hey Spyder, thanks for the response!  That's correct.  I can't figure it out.  I haven't done extensive testing, but I'm guessing that some of the weirdness I'm seeing with weight is because I was, for whatever reason, using two characters that didn't conform to the normal patterns.

I'd definitely appreciate it if you'd take a look on your end.
God Bless