News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Help Update the DCUG!

Started by BentonGrey, May 15, 2018, 04:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy FR folks! I'm pretty busy these days, and I just can't seem to find the time/energy to finish the projects I've got sitting around (TMNT and PCT).  Nonetheless, I've been bitten by a bug that has me doing some tweaking of my two big mods, MA and yes, the original, venerable, big-enough-to-choke-an-elephant, DC Universe According to Grey.  Recent interest from a kind fan has motivated me to finally re-upload it.  I'm putting together a simpler, cleaner, slightly updated copy of the DCUG that has a self-install program instead of the super problematic mutli-part zip that has been the bane of my existence since I first released the sucker. 

I could just go ahead and pack it up, but I've decided to take the opportunity to do the same thing I've been doing with Marvel Adventures, sort of kick the tires, fix some problems, update a bit here and there, and maybe even add a very small amount of new content.  I've only been messing with it for a little while, and I've already fixed a bunch of little stuff and improved some balance, but I think I'll take this opportunity to do something I've been thinking about for a long while, update some characters by adding some new (to me) art assets.

There has been a ton of great content created since I released this project, but I haven't had much heart to mess with it since then.  Still, from time to time I would notice a new DC mesh, skope, or skin and think, 'man, I should put that in the DCUG!'  I've tried to kept a list of new and exciting art assets that I would add/switch out, or tweak, but the truth is, life was crazy busy, my memory wasn't up to the task, and I just couldn't keep track of everything.  My list is very incomplete, and also many of the options we once had of browsing content visually no longer exist.  I have a couple of things already slotted in, but I thought I would open it up to the community to help me and my bad memory with suggestions for neat artwork that the community created since the DCUG was released way back in 2010 and which might make nice additions/updates.

What skins/skopes/meshes would you like to see added to the DCUG? 

I'll use this thread to collect and catalog new materials and to get help locating those I choose. 

Things to check out (a list for me):
-Dean's Ocean Master
-Dean's Captain Cold
-AA's Mera
-LP; Batgirl, Huntress, Black Canary
-LP; Killer Frost, Houngan
-AA's; Aqualad, Cyborg, Donna Troy, Hawkgirl, Lex Luthor, Ms Martian, Red Robin, Raven, Robin, Starfire
-Murs; Sinestro
-LP; Fatal Five, Katana, Suicide Squad

Things I'm Looking For:
-Gren's Aquaman
-Keys compatible with Gren's Aquaman
-New 52 Ocean Master
-My old voicepacks
-A new Fisherman
-interesting skins for Mr. Mechanical mech men
-I need someone to make me some portraits for some of the anti-matter heroes that the community came up with for the CSA arc.
--Professor Radiant
--Quizmaster
--Ivodroid

-Can anyone put the JLA logo on the FF table for me?  Something like this:
https://static0.cbrimages.com/wp-content/uploads/social_post/jla-social_1.jpg

-phasing attack keys compatible with Ren's Martian Manhunter
-Has anyone done the New 52 CSA Sea King?

-VPMAX voice ID list
-Did someone make Apokaliptian dog cavalry a while back?
-I'm still trying to find the method M25 designed to make EZScript missions save-able.
-Sgt. Rock and notable elements of Easy Company
-G.I. Robot:

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Deaths Jester

If you need AA's Mera..I've got a copy of it, BG.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Cyber Burn

1.) I would love to see something done with the Crime Syndicate (Tomato has some great ones at HeroForce).

2.) I would also love to see something done with the various Lantern Corps on SickAlice's site.

3.) There's a bunch of Teen Titans/Young Justice stuff in AA's section of HeroForce.

4.) Laughing Paradox has the Masters of Disaster, and the Suicide Squad at the Force of Paradox.

5.) And Daglob and Detourne_Me both have too many awesome stuff to name.

BentonGrey

Thanks guys!

DJ, thanks, I've her.  That list is just for my use to keep track of what I remember.

CB:
1) Right!  I forgot about all of 'Mato's awesome CSA stuff!  I can definitely use most if not all of those.  All I remembered was his evil Aquaman, but I forgot he did the whole team.  Excellent! 
2) Ahh, I remember those now.  I probably won't be adding in any big teams, though I'm not averse to adding in a few simple-ish new characters.
3) Yes!  I see those and have added lots of them to my list to check out!
4) I don't see those.  They don't seem to be under LP's section anywhere I can find.  I'm interested, so can anyone point me in the right direction?
5) This is my problem!  :D  It's a good problem to have.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Cyber Burn

You'll find LP's Masters of Disaster here: http://forceofparadox.byethost31.com/laughingparadox_three.html (Look for Windfall)

And you'll find his Suicide Squad here: http://forceofparadox.byethost31.com/laughingparadox_four.html (Look for Count Vertigo)

Deaths Jester

...DJ has no current DC stuff.....

BentonGrey

Ahh!  Now I see my mistake.  Thanks CB!

Ha, DJ, I was actually just looking back through your skin thread to see what I had missed, but all your pictures other than the most recent are gone.  Of course, considering your obscure Marvel kick... :)
God Bless

Deaths Jester

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 15, 2018, 09:21:06 PM

Ha, DJ, I was actually just looking back through your skin thread to see what I had missed, but all your pictures other than the most recent are gone.  Of course, considering your obscure Marvel kick... :)

That's cause up until the more recent stuff, the pictures were hosted on Photobucket which I ran away from in the middle of the night.  Besides, you'd have to go back to the FR Archive to find anything aside from originals and Marvel that I've done...or even before then....

spydermann93

I also have an amazo skope I made with a bunch of gren's animations added to it like Supes, Flash, and Green Lantern. As well as some telepathy stuff.

As for Murs Sinestro, I know that you have it, but I put the skin (both the original and his Sinestro Corps suit) on a mesh that uses Ren's GL keyframes.

EDIT: They're C6's Sinestro skins, not Murs. Whoops

detourne_me

I could put in some of the tedious work of converting to .dds, renaming texture files, and reassigning them in NifSkope if you have any groups in mind.

I'm not sure about the aesthetic of my imported meshes matching with the established Freedom Force look though. Maybe some of the Gorillas from DC Universe Online?

BentonGrey

Spyder, cool, send that Amazo my way, if you'd be so kind.

DM, hmm, I may very well take you up on that when I get a better sense of what I'm doing!

Who all did skins for Gren's new Aquaman?

Here's another one.  So, my current Aquaman, which I love dearly, has Ren's Superman keys.  Yet, Gren's mesh is fantastic and has Gren keys of some sort.  It looks like the two are not compatible, SO, what keys would have what I need from Ren's Superman kfs but be compatible with Gren's Aquaman?  Essentially, I just need something to provide me with some nice options for combos, maybe some kicks, and some mental attacks.  Variety may be the spice of life, but it is also the spice of my character designs.  ;)
God Bless

spydermann93

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 16, 2018, 02:07:03 AM
Spyder, cool, send that Amazo my way, if you'd be so kind.

DM, hmm, I may very well take you up on that when I get a better sense of what I'm doing!

Who all did skins for Gren's new Aquaman?

Here's another one.  So, my current Aquaman, which I love dearly, has Ren's Superman keys.  Yet, Gren's mesh is fantastic and has Gren keys of some sort.  It looks like the two are not compatible, SO, what keys would have what I need from Ren's Superman kfs but be compatible with Gren's Aquaman?  Essentially, I just need something to provide me with some nice options for combos, maybe some kicks, and some mental attacks.  Variety may be the spice of life, but it is also the spice of my character designs.  ;)

Consider him sent :)

daglob

I've done some stuff, but, as usual, most of it will be for obscure characters.

BentonGrey

Well, if you've ever played the DCUG, you should know that I'm not afraid of obscure!  :P

Did anyone make anything for classic Aquagirl (Tula) in the interim?

The headlights for my Batmobile seem to have suffered the alpha-related problem I've seen before from .dds conversion, and they have big squares around them instead of glowing properly.  Could anyone take a look at that for me?  I'm THINKING it should be a relatively easy fix.
God Bless

oktokels

Quote from: detourne_me on May 16, 2018, 01:28:11 AM
I could put in some of the tedious work of converting to .dds

you do this manually? I use a image converter called x2y. it has saved me a lot of problems lately, been able to convert several .tga images at the same time.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: oktokels on May 16, 2018, 11:21:45 PM
Quote from: detourne_me on May 16, 2018, 01:28:11 AM
I could put in some of the tedious work of converting to .dds

you do this manually? I use a image converter called x2y. it has saved me a lot of problems lately, been able to convert several .tga images at the same time.

I can't speak for Detourne_Me, but for what I've been doing, it's more than just converting the .tga Files to .dds format. I'm also re-naming each and every art texture so that it has a unique name, plus I'm going through every .nif File and changing the names of the textures referenced in those .nif Files to the newly named textures. After that, then I check each texture to make sure that dimensions are correct and that the alpha properties have not been messed up when the textures were converted from .tga to .dds format. If any of those issues have problems, then I fix them as well.

Then I go through the .nif Files and look for anything else that may happen to need to be adjusted, after I make any necessary changes, I repackage everything up, and send it back to Benton. Sometimes it is a quick fix, and sometimes it's not.

bearded

There are some really great resources in the unfinished Flash. Cyber Burn made a great ChillBlain, for example, with many more great examples.

BentonGrey

Yeah, CB really came through for me (as he always does!), both by diagnosing that problem (the seemingly inexplicable pinking of .dds files) and helping me go so far to fixing it.  It is, sadly, not a quick fix.

Oddly, I've yet to see that happen with the DCUG.

Thanks Bearded!

For those of you who are interested, I've started a thread in the Sounds section looking for suggestions as I add music to the campaign missions. 
God Bless

Cyber Burn

Quote from: bearded on May 17, 2018, 01:53:40 AM
There are some really great resources in the unfinished Flash. Cyber Burn made a great ChillBlain, for example, with many more great examples.

Oh man! I completely forgot about that one. I think I had used that to experiment some new ideas with, more than anything else. And I know that it still needs a real skin, because mine was horrible.

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 17, 2018, 03:04:22 AM
Yeah, CB really came through for me (as he always does!), both by diagnosing that problem (the seemingly inexplicable pinking of .dds files) and helping me go so far to fixing it.  It is, sadly, not a quick fix.

Oddly, I've yet to see that happen with the DCUG.

Thanks Bearded!

For those of you who are interested, I've started a thread in the Sounds section looking for suggestions as I add music to the campaign missions. 

I can't take credit for that find Benton, I think it was AA who posted about it prior to me. All I did was just experiment with the concept a bit and try to push its limits.

As for editing the DCUG Files, perhaps over the summer could take some of this on for you.

BentonGrey

Well, nonetheless, you did the grunt work and helped me get the issue fixed!  It's much appreciated, CB!  I'll keep that in mind too.  Oddly, I've still yet to see any pinking at all.

So, here's a little progress report for those of y'all who are interested.  I've played through and updated the whole JLA campaign.  I've fixed some minor bugs and typos, added music to all of the missions, tweaked the balance, and even added a little custom music to the finale.  I forgot how much fun that campaign was.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and I had a blast going back to it.  Now I'm starting on the JSA campaign, and I remember there being some rough edges left on that one.

I'm also leaning heavily towards moving Aquaman to Gren's mesh.  It's a pretty fantastic piece.  If I can find something with compatible keys that I can steal a few combo keys from to add some variety, I'm definitely going to do it.
God Bless

BentonGrey

Here's a new one: Is it my imagination, or did someone do a New 52 Ocean Master a while back?
God Bless

daglob

Sick Alice did a bunch of New 52 stuff. Check the Litterbox.

BentonGrey

Hmm, SA has a ton of cool DC stuff, but no Ocean Master, it seems.
God Bless

Cyber Burn

Deanjo did the Ocean Master (I think). Check his thread.

BentonGrey

Hey CB, you're right, but he did a lovely skin/skope of the classic version (which I am considering, but given my version of the character, I'm toying with using the New 52 look, if I can find it).  On the bright side, I did find his AWESOME Black Manta skin/skope that I had forgotten about!
God Bless

Deaths Jester

...before I end up with a PM from BG asking me to do NU 52 Ocean Master...what ever the 'ell that is...sounds like a lame fruit-filled cocktail....I am not skinning it!!  Just ending that now...  :P

deanjo2000

I might take crack at it, if I can find some good pics of him.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

BentonGrey

Weird, my searches have turned up absolutely nothing on the new Ocean Master.  I swear I remember seeing it.  Maybe I imagined it?

Quote from: Deaths Jester on May 18, 2018, 09:54:43 PM
...before I end up with a PM from BG asking me to do NU 52 Ocean Master...what ever the 'ell that is...sounds like a lame fruit-filled cocktail....I am not skinning it!!  Just ending that now...  :P

Aww... :(  Haha, you think you're the only one I pester DJ?  :lol:  Ha, duly noted.  I'll make sure to bother you about something else.  :)

Dean, awesome!  I will take you up on that.  You can find some images here:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/ocean-master/4005-3758/forums/new-52-ocean-master-respect-thread-745616/
His new design is really quite solid, though the black patch on his breast and shoulders is an odd choice.  I'd say that might be a good opportunity to incorporate his classic insignia, maybe making that black section a stylized sting-ray instead of a random black patch.  As with the other thing, I leave the matter to your artistic judgement, if you're interested.  If you take it on, whatever keys you choose should have some good options for ranged attacks, as I'm still going with the classic magician version.
God Bless

deanjo2000

This is where im at, the logo is an easy add on.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

spydermann93