News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Deadpool 2!

Started by detourne_me, May 16, 2018, 01:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

detourne_me

I just gotta say that this movie was much better than the 1st in my opinion.  It might even be the best X related film. Logan is still up there, but the fanservice in Deadpool 2 is crazy.
If you go, stay for the mid-credits scenes, but there is nothing after the credits, unless you want to hear some of the original score again... which is pretty good. Holy run-on sentence batman.

A lot of deep cuts and references in this movie, including one of my faves (minor character spoiler)
Spoiler
Zeitgeist! from the Milligan/Allred X-Force! and he is quite true to character!

Shogunn2517

You forgot to mention one of the better related  character spoilers...

Spoiler
THE JUGGERNAUT BISH!

He was pretty much everything I was hoping for and hoped to see since... even before 2006.

Overall though, I wouldn't say it was much better than the first.  That's not the say anything bad about either entries.  I liked them both.  Though unfortunately at this point I personally felt the jokes and 4th wall breaking was less "fresh" this time around as before it was rather new to people unfamiliar with the the character.  But I liked it.  It was certainly "bigger" than the first.  There was much more going on.  Brolin did a better job than I anticipated with Cable.  Still not entirely too sure what his powers are. Lol.  I do have to say of all though, I was COMPLETELY digging and wanting to see waaaaaaaay much more of Domino.  Zazie Beetz did an awesome job.  I know some have made hay over her, but vitiligo made believable sense to me IMO.

One thing that did bother me though:
Spoiler
X-Force.  They really just treated the entire team as pretty much a gag.  Disappointed I didn't see more of characters like Bedlam and Shatterstar specifically.  Just thought it was a waste, tbh.

detourne_me

Shogunn, RE your 2nd spoiler:
Spoiler
I like how they did it, because it was also a great reference to the Milligan/Allred run by having nearly the whole team die on the first mission. It was both a gag and a reference to the comic, so I really respect it.

crimsonquill

Regarding the X-Force team in Deadpool 2..

Spoiler
I think most comic fans were upset with the quick end of Shatterstar AND Bedlam because of their potential (and Terry Crews kicking some arse as a superhero for a bit). Most die hard fans love Shatterstar from the initial X-Force comics and his future growth into a full character BUT he was mostly developed by Rob Liefield as an alternative for not being able to use Longshot and some comic readers felt he was just the extreme warrior for Cable to use as cannon fodder. I'm pretty sure most of the writers room felt that telling the Mojoverse story should only be told with Longshot and probably that would only happen in an X-Men film. Bedlam was pretty much going to be used just for this movie and probably killed by Juggernaut anyway but maybe plans changed for the final battle which was narrowed down to just a smaller team as a result thus making it easier to make their shortened appearance all the more shocking.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Silver Shocker

As Deadpool and Weasel said in the commercials: Lives up to the hype, A++, probably don't even need to make a 3rd one. (The first one's still probably better though). Funniest movie I've seen in years. Josh Brolin's Cable was kinda perfect, the fanservice and cameos is this were pretty great, and yes, Domino was actually a lot better than I was expecting. She had both a playfulness and straight man quality that fit in well with the rest of the cast. And luck is definitely a superpower and a very cool one. Just as I figured, it's the Iron Man 2/Avengers 2/Batman Returns of Deadpool movies in that it's strength (other than the humor and Ryan Reynolds) is also its weakness and can be summed up with the phrase "more ambitious". More characters, more deep cut references, more gags, more fanservice, more world-building and a post-credit gag so impossible to top that I can't imagine what they'd do for one in Deadpool 3.

Spoiler
Props to the filmmakers and marketing team for the masterful troll job that was X-Force. Not since the Mandarin in Iron Man 3  has a superhero movie played its audience so hard, and I imagine like the Mandarin, comic fans will be arguing about it for years to come. Introducing Shatterstar, complete with a reference to Mojoworld, only to kill him off was particularly ballsy. Personally I thought that whole gag was funny as hell.

Shiori Kutsuna is Yukio. What an odd choice, and no idea why the filmmakers opted not to tell anyone who she was playing. Her being a mostly-in-name-only version of a prominent character from the 2nd Wolverine film (who I really liked) had no bearing on the film other than her being Negasonic's girlfriend being a nod to the heavy lesbian subtext of Claremont's original X-Men run. She was delightful, but she had a very limited role. I would enjoy seeing her again.

Juggernaut was kinda fun. It's neat that they did a more comics-accurate version but I'm honestly shocked that amongst all the Wolverine and Green Lantern bashing DP doesn't take any shots at the X-Men 3 version of Juggernaut. I mean he was already fanboying out, it would have been the easiest thing in the world to have him go "Finally a comics-accurate version of Juggernaut on the big screen" but nah, it didn't come up at all, not that I can recall.

Vanessa being a stand in for Lady Death was pretty inspired. And for the record, the filmakers have said the mid-credits sequence is canon, so she should be back should they make a future film. I still kinda wanna see her become Copycat. This also means we could see Peter again (who, fun fact, according to viral marketing for the film, is apparently Pete Wisdom from Excalibur. Bizarre. And explains why they would name ANOTHER character "Peter".)

And yeah, that post credit scene. I just died. And hearing other fans in the theater just lose it was pretty awesome.

Also, at this point Mr Sinister is going to be the Thanos of X-Men villains in terms of how long they've been teasing his appearance.

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

We saw it, and it was utterly, utterly delightful.  This was one of the funniest things I've seen in ages, and we all loved it unapologetically.  I think we would all rate it higher than 1.

I don't have a lot specific to say other than:
Spoiler

Who would have ever guessed that we would finally get a fairly faithful Colossus vs. Juggernaut fight....in Deadpool 2?!?!?!  That was fun, but I do rather wish they had pulled back the humor enough for a minute to let us really enjoy the brawl.  Still, it was cool to see Juggs actually show up properly.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Shogunn2517

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 21, 2018, 02:38:32 PM

Spoiler

Who would have ever guessed that we would finally get a fairly faithful Colossus vs. Juggernaut fight....in Deadpool 2?!?!?!  That was fun, but I do rather wish they had pulled back the humor enough for a minute to let us really enjoy the brawl.  Still, it was cool to see Juggs actually show up properly.

Seconded.  Even though it's kinda sad it takes Deadpool to give it to us.  Ah well.  Still nice to see.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on May 21, 2018, 09:06:18 PM
Quote from: BentonGrey on May 21, 2018, 02:38:32 PM

Spoiler

Seconded.  Even though it's kinda sad it takes Deadpool to give it to us.  Ah well.  Still nice to see.

Yep, agreed on both points.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

detourne_me

It seems like the filmmakers agreed with you guys, name dropping the specific issue they had a bar fight to demonstrate the significance.

HarryTrotter

Bit late to the party,but it was good.X-Force gag was...well,Im not really mad,it was an obvious trolling.Considering how fast we are moving thru Marvel properties,I think a serious X-Force movie will happen sooner or later.
Now,EVERY single line Deadpool said was a reference to something.And it gets a bit annoying.Like Scream x1000.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer