Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Seasons Greetings!

Author Topic: DCUG Tuneup  (Read 161 times)

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
DCUG Tuneup
« on: May 20, 2018, 03:18:22 AM »
Howdy folks!  I'm working on reconditioning and re-releasing the DCUG, and as part of that, I'm revisiting and updating some HFs.  I'll be posting the things I'm working on here.

At the moment, I'm working on:

Hourman.  He's only got two powers, other than his custom Miraclo attribute.  He's got a solid punch with KB and a 3 hit combo.  This really illustrates how much my character design has changed over the years!  Anyway, I'm looking to expand his HF a bit.  Any suggestions?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey2

Offline detourne_me

• Manipulator of mental motion sickness
    • Force of Paradox!
Re: DCUG Tuneup
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 03:56:57 AM »
I'd give him a tumble or sprint as well.
When i think about melee attacks i ask myself a few questions...
If its a 1 hit - will it cause a lot of damage? Stun them to set up for another attack? Or knock them away to create some distance?
If its a multiple hit combo - will it be a 'killing blow' causing lots of damage? Will it be to hit multiple enemies, like if he is surrounded?
By asking those questions I think you can justify a lot of different melee attacks...
Otherwise I prefer to keep it simple like your previous HF for Hourman

Offline daglob

• Shape-Shifting Silly-Putty Android
  • Da Glob
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 04:11:18 AM »
Perhaps Heavy Lifter, so he can throw things?

Offline oktokels

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 10:10:40 AM »
since its a time related character, i put him some speed buff and debuff moves... and a special 300 percenter move called "miraclo pill",  in the attributes he have precognitive and danger sense, to emulate his "time vision".

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:31:51 AM by oktokels »

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 05:17:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys; they were helpful!

My current build has a custom attribute called Miraclo, which gives him super strength and speed when he uses a custom command, but it only lasts 30 minutes (I figured an hour of game time would effectively be the same as it being permanent.

DM, that's pretty much my approach, but you're pointing it out helped solidify ideas for me.

OK, this is Hourman I, but you still helped me, so thanks man!  :)

DG, if I had a different build, that would work.

So, I've added a few new powers, but I'm toying with some other ideas, and I'd like y'all's take on them.

I've given him a quick, two-contact melee attack that does low damage but high stun (a favorite of my new design philosophy), and a high damage, extreme KB attack for tough foes and to get some breathing room.

The ones I'm toying with are a Sprint (thanks to OK) and an area, ground-slam attack with some knockback and low damage.

Here's the hitch: These would both be powers predicated on miraclo, but the player would have access to them all the time, even before they used the miraclo command, which would somewhat break the concept.  What do y'all think?  Is it better to have the purity or the playability? 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 08:22:03 PM »
One way that I handled Hourman a couple years back is that I gave him Shapeshifter where the Temporary Form was his "Miraclo" form, but it would only last one minute. It would drain his energy, but it boosted his stats substantially. In his normal form, he had weak melee attacks, but ok stun so that he could keep foes off of him (but not overly so). His powered form had stronger punches, but not at much crowd-control. He was meant for laying the hurt as fast as he can. Very bursty.

Offline oktokels

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 10:39:08 PM »
Is it better to have the purity or the playability?

In my opinion, first i choose purity, to establish a base of the character that is canon to the comics or movies. Then if some of those attributes or powers doesnt work well with the game, then i tweak or delete them (or give new powers) to make the character more eficient in game.  In the case of hourman, i prefer to give him a 300 percenter special move to translate his miraclo pill move, because i think this move emulates better the low durability of the pill effect... but its really a matter of wheter you like it or not how a character is performing in game... this is what i really like about this game, the freedom to make this choises... freedom force !! lol  :P

Offline detourne_me

• Manipulator of mental motion sickness
    • Force of Paradox!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 11:20:05 PM »
Another option is to give him the Battery Powered, Metabolic Strength and Slow Starter attributes, so he starts with zero energy, but if you use a hero point he powers up. All of his high damage moves could cost energy, while the low damage moves are zero energy.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 10:06:57 PM »
Howdy guys, thanks for some great ideas!  I hadn't responded because I've been pondering my options, but I wanted to thank y'all for your thoughtful responses!  Stay tuned for some more tune-up posts!  I'm almost done writing missions, which means it will be time to work on HFs.
God Bless