Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Video Skinning Tutorial

Started by murs47, May 23, 2010, 11:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murs47

Quote from: John Jr. on May 28, 2010, 10:50:12 PM
May I ask another question?
Murs, how you did the boots of your Red Son Superman? Most of skins (including all of mine) has the boots looking form fitting, like spandex. Your Red Son Supes has a great leather feel and no muscles showing in his boots. How you did that?

Answered.

There's a link in the first post too.

deano_ue

interesting technique, usually i would just tone the boots by hand but that really works for tight boots rather than solid boots

The Hitman

Hey Bob Ross, can you show me how to paint those "happy trees?"

Seriously, though... great videos. Gonna have to try some of this stuff sometime.

John Jr.

Thanks for the tut, Murs. very interesting technique. I'll try it in the first chance!

Podmark

Murs these tutorials are bloody brilliant. If we had had these like 5 years ago we'd have more and better skinners.

It also highlights that I really don't know Photoshop that well. Even my classes haven't taught me some of the cool tricks it can do.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on June 17, 2010, 04:06:22 AM
Murs these tutorials are bloody brilliant. If we had had these like 5 years ago we'd have more and better skinners.

It also highlights that I really don't know Photoshop that well. Even my classes haven't taught me some of the cool tricks it can do.

Perhaps I should become a Photoshop instructor. :lol:

A new tutorial is up. Not much to this one, really. Just my process of creating a logo for the skins that need 'em. Click. There's a link in the first post as well and I'll set up a post on FRP soon-ish.

Podmark

Seems like another solid tutorial. I hope it helps people.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

laughing paradox

Murs! What you're doing is a big contribution to all skinners, current and future.

Nice logo tut. I like the bit about the Bevel and Emboss for the seam.. I tend to just use the line tool, but I may use bevel/emboss more often.

billdamn22

Murs, loving these tutorials. I got a question for you about color. How do you come up with a brilliant yellow for your skins? The tutorial for getting the blue really doesn't work with yellows or oranges.

murs47

Quote from: billdamn22 on September 01, 2010, 02:44:34 AM
Murs, loving these tutorials. I got a question for you about color. How do you come up with a brilliant yellow for your skins? The tutorial for getting the blue really doesn't work with yellows or oranges.

I don't recall off the top of my head. But, I'll play around a little and I'll try and have an answer for you tonight or tomorrow morning.

EDIT: If someone else has the answer off the top of their feel free to answer for me. I'm probably not the right person to answer this question because yellow is always a hassle for me.

Tomato

See, I don't have a problem with yellow, but I also set up my bases with colors like that in mind... Basically the way I set my stuff up, I have a shadow layer, and then I use pre-set masks for all my highlight layers... meaning I can adjust the color or the opacity of my highlights relatively quickly.

Podmark

Yeah I find yellow a pain too. And red. Those ones are tough for me.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

Alrighty, try this:

QuoteDesaturate your base skin.

Create a new layer and fill with orange > Set the layer to Overlay > Merge down.

Create a new layer and fill with yellow > Set the layer to Hard Light > Set Opacity of layer to 75% > Merge down.

CTRL + L for Levels Adjustment > set the far left number to 50 > Press OK > Merge down > CTRL + U for Hue/Saturation dialogue box > Set Hue to +5.

Let me know if that works.

billdamn22

Man, you are quick! That worked extremely well. Thank you, sir.

murs47

No prob, Bill. Glad I could help

herowithoutacape

I've been out of the game for a looooong time and have recently been bitten by the bug again. As has already been said, these tuts are invaluable and would have been a huge asset years ago.

That being said, how about a rundown on cloth folds/wrinkles, facial hair (I'm assuming this would just be a variant on the hair tutorial), and your Falcon hair (I've got one or two characters in mind who could use this)?
Me, I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly...stupid. - Captain Jack Sparrow
[img]http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL126/1138166/214

murs47

Quote from: herowithoutacape on September 03, 2010, 06:45:06 AM
That being said, how about a rundown on cloth folds/wrinkles, facial hair (I'm assuming this would just be a variant on the hair tutorial), and your Falcon hair (I've got one or two characters in mind who could use this)?

Facial hair would be exactly like the hair. Just a different shape and area of the head. Falcon's hair is near identical to my hair method. Should be able to pull off something quick for that. As for cloth, that might have to be broken up into multiple videos. On top of that, it's tablet heavy so I can't see it being useful for very many people. But, I'll make one eventually.

Tomato

Took a page out of murs' book and made a quick skin tutorial... It's uploading as we speak, but I have to run some errands before it finishes. Keep checking my youtube page ad I'll edit this post whenever I get back.

murs47

Nice! I'm glad someone else is finally contributing to this thread.

I thank thee, Thomas of Ato. ^_^

Outcast

Yes.Thanks for taking the time to do this Tomato. These skin tutorials are always appreciated. I also think it's a good way to encourage others to skin. :cool:

Tomato

It's not much this time around, to be honest... basically I explain how my base is set up and how I manipulate it for more difficult colors like yellow.

Video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py6fDwcq-uQ but it doesn't want to process the last 2%. grrr.

Edit: Finally finished... after I posted. Imma stab youtube in teh face!

Outcast

Well, i can't say that i can follow everything in these video tutorials, but it's really cool to see how you guys do these things in just minutes. :)

Podmark

Interesting tutorial Tomato. Moved really fast so I'll have to watch it a few times to really catch what you were doing. I'm not really sure I can use much of it yet without developing a base like yours, but I'll trying playing with some of it.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

UnkoMan

I like that hair technique. I may have to try that out. I've never been confident with hair.

It's neat seeing how other people skin too, though I don't have the attention span to sit through any of the longer videos...

Cyber Burn

Hey guys, along with just about every other aspect of skinning, I really struggle with skinning the extras of a mesh (weapons, gloves/boots, etc). Does anyone have some suggestions on tackling these? Thanks.

murs47

Quote from: Cyber Burn on October 23, 2010, 06:39:03 AM
Hey guys, along with just about every other aspect of skinning, I really struggle with skinning the extras of a mesh (weapons, gloves/boots, etc). Does anyone have some suggestions on tackling these? Thanks.

A short and vague answer is to use gradients...a lot of them. But, I'm gonna try and create a video this week.

crosspotts1.0

is there a way we could get these videos back up i think they could be really helpful