Just an observation...

Started by daglob, August 18, 2018, 08:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

... it might just be me, but one of the local stations is running old episodes of Miami Vice, and a lot of those clothes are just plain ugly.

HarryTrotter

Eh,it was the 80's...  ^_^
Btw,considering the 80's nostalgia right now(or have we fully gone into 90's nostalgia by now?),Im surprised they havent rebooted Miami Vice by now.Again.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Ohh yeah, the 80s is one of the most hideous decades in history.  The cars, the clothes, the architecture, the hair....pretty much everything, amazingly ugly.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

On one hand you have Lamborghini Countach and Ferrari Testarossa,on the other you have  Audi 5000 and pretty much everything Toyota did.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: BentonGrey on August 20, 2018, 02:20:22 AM
Ohh yeah, the 80s is one of the most hideous decades in history.  The cars, the clothes, the architecture, the hair....pretty much everything, amazingly ugly.

I have this reaction whenever I rewatch the first Terminator. Particularly the first half-hour or so with Sarah Connor, and her roommate, and the nightclub and all that.

On the plus side of the 80's, quite a bit of the music is still rad.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Wait,Don Johnson is in HBO's Watchman,so thats the next best thing.
Which is apparently a "remix" set in modern times,but thats another story...
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

A remake of the Watchmen as a TV series?  Really?  That's wildly unnecessary. 

Also, yes, much 80s music is still awesome.  Lady Grey and I love what we call "good bad 80s music".  It's in a class by itself. :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Leaving well enough alone was never a concept DC got.

Speaking of 80's - Cobra Cai is awesome and you should all go watch that right now. :)
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Tbf to DC, in the case of watchmen I've never understood the fan bases outspoken hatred of all stories and adaptations involving Watchmen in particular. Yes, Alan Moore created the original story, and he dislikes Hollywood on a spiritual level... But he's the last man on Earth qualified to make ANY statements about the reuse of characters outside the source material. Literally his entire career has been built on the backs of other people's characters, from his time at DC to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen to Lost Girls. Watchmen ITSELF contains thinly veiled reskins of the Charleton heroes(since that's what they were supposed to be), with characters like Rorschach and Nite Owl clearly intended to be the Question and Blue Beetle.

That said, I also have zero attachment to watchmen so DC can run it into the ground and I wouldn't care.

HarryTrotter

Yes,not like DC promised Moore the ownership of the characters and then invented a whole reprint system to avoid that.
Oh wait,they did.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

QuoteA remake of the Watchmen as a TV series?  Really?  That's wildly unnecessary. 

Not just a remake, an expansion of the story that takes it in wild new directions. To give the most immediately eyebrow-raising example:

Spoiler
Apparently it's going to START with Ozymandias dead. I have to assume so they can reveal at least a season in that he faked his death as part of his master plan...???

Quote from: Tomato on August 20, 2018, 08:07:50 PM
Tbf to DC, in the case of watchmen I've never understood the fan bases outspoken hatred of all stories and adaptations involving Watchmen in particular. Yes, Alan Moore created the original story, and he dislikes Hollywood on a spiritual level... But he's the last man on Earth qualified to make ANY statements about the reuse of characters outside the source material. Literally his entire career has been built on the backs of other people's characters, from his time at DC to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen to Lost Girls. Watchmen ITSELF contains thinly veiled reskins of the Charleton heroes(since that's what they were supposed to be), with characters like Rorschach and Nite Owl clearly intended to be the Question and Blue Beetle.

That said, I also have zero attachment to watchmen so DC can run it into the ground and I wouldn't care.

I've heard that argument many times and yes, all of that is true, but here's my response to that

1. Watchmen is a complete story, as complete as you can get. It's dense, it's long (12 issues plus elaborate text pages!) it's got a very rich backstory, and you basically know everything you need to do about these characters. It's corset tight. Making prequels was unnecessarily because the "prequels" already existed in the form of the backstory in Watchmen itself.

2. While Moore gets backlash specifically for his rants about DC mining his work and changing his mind about his most celebrated DC work, calling too dark and mean-spirited and what have you, the reason why I and a lot of fans still respect his work and are resistant to DC mining the franchise (not that was it originally WAS a franchise) is that Watchmen is really, REALLY good. Moore possessed (possesses?) a skill as a writer that, honestly, I don't think most writers possess or are otherwise capable of bringing to play on a project like Before Watchmen. This is why you hear things like "There will never be another Watchmen."

Now mind you, I changed my tune once Doomsday Clock started coming out because IMO Doomsday Clock is also really, really good. It's very legit and feels like Johns and Gary Frank tried as hard as possible to make it "feel" like the missing Watchmen followup we never got until now (something I didn't find the BW creative teams did)

In any case, this is, to my eyes, less DC milking Watchmen again and more HBO doing what they've been doing for a while now, which is desperately trying to line up a replacement for Game of Thrones as the next big thing on their network since it's only got one season left (though Better Call Saul over at AMC turned out pretty well)

QuoteSpeaking of 80's - Cobra Cai is awesome and you should all go watch that right now.

I've heard really good things!  ^_^ But  I was never into the Karate Kid so I imagine I'll get way less out of it. I'd imagine Barney Stintson from How I Met Your Mother would love it though!
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Thats what I thought at first (and its been a decade since I watched Karate Kid),but the series can stand on its own.Anyway,first 2 episodes are free on Youtube,so give it a watch and see if it clicks with you.
Jon Farmer

President Raygun

Watchmen is a "modern"  day classic, as much as Dicken's A Christmas Carol, Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, or Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, in other words: perfect, self-contained stories, and any attempt to add, dilute or change would only lessen the importance and influence of those works and their respective writers. Sure, it's in graphic form, but that by no means should lessen its value, and as far as Alan Moore is concerned Lord knows Moore isn't the end all be all of comics writers;  Watchmen is his greatest work though, and that alone deserves some respect. At least from the people who hired him to write it, besides if DC had really believed in it they would have allowed him to use the Charlton heroes (the rights to whom they had recently acquired at the time) like he'd originally envisioned it, now it just reeks of a cash grab.

Deaths Jester

Wait, you mean there are things that DC and their owners over at Warner Brothers have done that don't reek of cash grabs?!? *gasp*
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.