News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Help the Tortugas

Started by Tortuga, September 13, 2018, 01:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tortuga

Ooga booga, FRers!

As some of you know, nearly 12 years ago, I was diagnosed with a progressive genetic neuromuscular disease called Friedreich's Ataxia.  For the last 5 years, I've been confined to a wheelchair.  I still work as an elementary teacher part time, although I had to take last year off to get some much needed physical and psychological rest.  I've returned to work this fall and so far it's good, but in order to keep getting to and from work safely, we need to purchase a new van that is converted for accessibility.

Just today we received word that we're receiving $40k from our provincial government to cover most of the conversion costs. That leaves the other $45k cost of the van plus the remainder of the conversion.  In order to help pay off that $45k our neighbour started a gofundme campaign.  I'm asking you to share this on your social networks, etc so we can reach lots of folks.

And yes, Tortling 1.0 is now taller than Madame Tortuga.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-kleines-get-a-wheelchair-van

Thanks, friends!

stumpy

I am not on social media, but I chipped in.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Thunder

I know the struggle Tortuga.  I became an amputee last year and understand the challenges you face.  It's not a huge amount since I am in the midst of moving to a new state, but I could not ignore a call to arms for one of our own. 

Tortuga

Thanks stumpy and Thunder - and anyone else who shared it!  Your donations made our day!