Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy Holidays!

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Mandalorian  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
Star Wars: The Mandalorian
« on: October 04, 2018, 10:54:01 PM »
Because... more Star Wars is never a bad thing:

ICYMI

Jon Favreau(Iron Man) has been developing the first live action Star Wars television series. Initial speculation started with the series setting, which was post Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. It was then revealed the series will center around Mandalorians and/or their culture.  The latest news has now said that while Favreau is writing and producing the series, episodes will be directed by Alan Taylor(Game of Thrones) and Dave Filoni(The Clone Wars/Rebels). Also, set to star in the series as possibly the lead and "lone gunman" as described is Game of Thrones' and Narcos' Pedro Pascal.

No trailer as of yet.  They haven't started filming, but it is said to be released on Disney Play, Disney's streaming service in late 2019.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
Re: Star Wars: The Mandalorian
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 11:29:13 PM »
Sounds pretty cool. I would watch that.
"May you live in interesting times."
~Alleged Chinese Proverb

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 03:15:08 AM »
Actually scratch that.  Lucasfilm and Favreau have released this pic:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 05:04:09 AM »
I did see that, and that looks pretty sweet.  :)
~Alleged Chinese Proverb

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 03:26:35 AM »
So update on The Mandalorian: supposedly Taika Waititi is doing the voice of IG88. Can't say I'm thrilled about that. If Korg from Thor Ragnarok (or Ragnarok in general, really) is any indication, he's about to butcher IG88 like he butchered Korg.

Now in fairness, pretty much everything fleshing out IG88 is no longer canon, but that was also true for Thrawn, and Filoni and crew still made a concentrated effort to get Thrawn as accurate as possible (the Ysalimiri didn't make it in, but they got a visual cameo in the very first scene Thrawn's show in). IG88 was pretty much the Star Wars equivalent of Brainiac - indeed, Corey Burton did the voice of an IG88-style droid in the pilot of Clone Wars with largely the same voice - is he now going to be a laid back, jokey character? To be honest I thought Simon Pegg as Dengar in Clone Wars was a departure too - but this would be more of a departure.

But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I've been before.
~Alleged Chinese Proverb

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 06:40:02 AM »
Yes, that would be unfortunate.

I gotta say I wasn't the biggest fan of T:R. It seemed so much of a departure from Thor story, IMO. So I don't know what supposed to be so special with Taika Waititi a single bit. And you're right. A Brainiac/Hal sort of characterization would be how I'd like to see IG-88. Waititi's kind of a weird choice. But I'm sure Celebration in a few weeks is going to bring us more information and gotta imagine a trailer as well.

I stay hopeful.

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 12:59:06 AM »
So Disney+ actually went live, not at 6:00am, but I actually booted it up, prepped my subscription package and see the UI. To my surprise, the first episode was loaded up and I clicked it to see if it was a preview or something, but it was the whole thing and I watched it.

It was amazing!

For the non-Star Wars fans, first of all, NO, that was NOT who you think it is!"  As I said, the show takes place in the aftermath of Return of the Jedi and it had a real old west, Sergio Leone vibe to it from the start. Entering a bar, turning heads, wind whipping and the bartender wiping down a counter. Overall, the show had it's comical parts, fitting with some of the cameos from famous comedians. Some obvious standouts were Werner Herzog, his voice and presence was nigh unsettling but just pulled you in more. Beyond that was Taika Waititi! Star Wars seriously has a strong debate in fan circles of who's your favorite droid and his was a strong entry to that match up! And of course what many cannot stop talking about is the ending! It was quite the surprise and just makes you want to see more. Not just see where the story goes, but to see more about this character!

Overall though, it's a great beginning to the series. A lot of action and intrigue and surprises. Carl Weathers, Nick Nolte's characters were good and quite memorable. Of course with new episodes scheduled to release on Friday, the next episode will come out in just a few days. Likely midnight EST instead of Netflix that waits for Midnight Pacific. Really eager to see where it takes us next!

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 09:03:53 PM »
Quite enjoyed it. Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by Taika Watitti's IG-11. He was a lot better than I thought he'd be. I found him more HK-47 than Korg, the voice totally worked, and yes, the running gag with him was pretty funny.

Not surprised that there's some deep lore references here, considering Filoni's involvement.

Looking forward to more.
~Alleged Chinese Proverb

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 07:27:09 AM »
Just finished the second episode and I'm still digging this show.  I mean, I knew I would, but to see the level of detail in the show STILL amazes me. I suppose that's part of my biggest disappointment so far is that we pretty much have two episodes, one of 40 minutes and this one with 30 minutes. The episodes are not just short, but far shorter than I expected. But what counteracts it all is, even though it's 30 minutes, there's no fluff. There's no commercials. No long and unnecessary opening sequence. It's just all show and it makes that 30 minutes seem so much more! And what they do with those 30 minutes makes not just fans happy but casual folks that don't watch the movies and pay attention to the books and games like I do.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 07:50:03 AM »
Yeah, still pretty good. Didn't even notice the second episode was shorter. That's probably a point in the show's favor.

~Alleged Chinese Proverb

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 09:53:23 AM »
Wanted to say my thoughts on the last two episodes of the Mandalorian:

Chapter 4 reminded me a lot of The Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven, and I have to assume that was intentional. Feloni did a Seven Samurai homage in an episode of Clone Wars, so while it was a story I've seen before in Star Wars, it was pretty cool on its own merits.

Chapter 5...was different than Chapter 4...

~Alleged Chinese Proverb

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 05:00:49 PM »
Okay, I'm thinking a consensus is saying that Episode 5 was one of the weaker entries, but Episode 6.... phew! I really think I enjoyed every minute of it! Every second. I mean I typically have liked most of what I've seen and have been sold on it from the beginning, but in my opinion 6 was the best of the season!

Thoughts on Ep5

And on to Ep6

And as a side note...

Offline daglob

• Shape-Shifting Silly-Putty Android
  • Da Glob
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 09:32:06 PM »
I'm kind of thinking Lone Wolf and Cub here...

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 04:24:47 PM »
^ Very easy comparison to think of. I thought of it myself. It's a formula that's worked many times before and it works here.

Okay, I'm thinking a consensus is saying that Episode 5 was one of the weaker entries, but Episode 6.... phew! I really think I enjoyed every minute of it! Every second. I mean I typically have liked most of what I've seen and have been sold on it from the beginning, but in my opinion 6 was the best of the season!

Yeah, 5 was a bit of a let down for me, minus the fanservice. I got a kick of out of that, but I did hear someone somewhere there was too much of it. It reminds me of Rogue One, some people thought that film had too many cameos and winks and nods, and I've found the Mandalorian has tread similar territory the whole run. As I've said before, I'm a fan, so if they want to throw in some fanservice, I'm almost certain to enjoy it.

Thoroughly enjoyed 6. It reminded me a bit of the early spaceship raid levels of KOTOR mixed with Firefly mixed with some Clone Wars (then again, with Filoni involved, no big surprise there.)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 04:36:25 PM by Silver Shocker »
~Alleged Chinese Proverb

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 11:15:22 PM »
Heads up!

A report says Season 2 of The Mandalorian to feature Rosario Dawson as.......

ASHOKA TANO!!!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA........ :o
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:29:51 AM by Silver Shocker »
~Alleged Chinese Proverb

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 03:13:43 AM »
I suppose I'll finally get around to watching this over the lockdown, ha.

Personally, I'd prefer they avoid any connection to the Prequel stuff, but I don't have any particular feelings about that character.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey2

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 04:14:44 AM »
I suppose I'll finally get around to watching this over the lockdown, ha.

Personally, I'd prefer they avoid any connection to the Prequel stuff, but I don't have any particular feelings about that character.

Well, that's the thing, Not that Disney have seem to pretend the prequels didn't exist. It took up until last year for them to even acknowledge The Clone Wars  and how good it is. As I am currently rewatching(to catch up with Season 7) Ahsoka was largely annoying at the beginning, but in the latter seasons to Rebels and book, she's gotten MUCH more interesting. I, for one am TOO excited! Word around the campfire is...

But I'll believe it when I see it. Happy that she's on board though. Heard other rumors of other characters showing up as well. We'll see.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 09:29:35 AM »
Indeed. Part of the legacy of the Clone Wars and Ahsoka herself is seeing steady improvement over time until you just remember the thing as being very good.

I've already tried to remember that when TCW came out it got scrutinized by many (myself included) for a few different reasons.

I've been getting into the SW rumor mill in the last few months due to how curious a product EpIX turned out to be, and one thing I've heard come up repeatedly is a new animated series (that may or may not be to Rebels what Rebels was to TCW). It's pretty much confirmed since there was a job listing a few months ago for a Lucasfilm/Star Wars 3D animated project and Dee Bradely Baker (voice of the clones) recently tweeted about a super secret project he's working on (for the record, as the official sub for Temura Morrison, he also got to voice Boba Fett in a video game or two)

^^ Benton: If Ahsoka's character in Mandalorian S2 is anything like the series as a whole, whether you're a fan of the character or not (or even familiar with her stories firsthand) properly won't be an issue since the other characters in the Mandolorian will likely be meeting her for the first time as well. That kind thing happened quite a bit in Rebels (or to give another example, the MCU films) so I imagine it will be fine.

Well, that's the thing, Not that Disney have seem to pretend the prequels didn't exist. It took up until last year for them to even acknowledge The Clone Wars  and how good it is. As I am currently rewatching(to catch up with Season 7) Ahsoka was largely annoying at the beginning, but in the latter seasons to Rebels and book, she's gotten MUCH more interesting. I, for one am TOO excited! Word around the campfire is...

Honestly, I think Disney just valued TCW as a "killer app" for their Disney+ streaming service, and one that could be produced and release very quickly at that (the first few episodes are almost entirely composed of the "story reels" from about 4-6 years ago with finished animation and about 1 new scene each).

Anyway, lest I forget, one other thing, Micheal Biehn (Kyle Reese from Terminator, Corporal Dwayne Hicks from Aliens) will appear in S2 as well. I can get behind that. Him being in this feels appropriate for a series that features Carl Weathers and Nick Nolte. I don't know why The Mandalorian of all things is turning into a Star Wars version of The Expendibles, but I can't deny it's cool.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:31:28 AM by Silver Shocker »
~Alleged Chinese Proverb

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2020, 12:58:18 PM »
So I had some friends over last tonight to celebrate my birthday (one friend got me the recent Jedi Fallen Order video game, which I'm quite pleased to have now - I've heard it's really good) And among other things, we talked some Star Wars (as often happens) and now I've got SW on the brain again big time. So time for a Star Wars roundup. And since most of it's related to the Mandalorian, it'll be here.

So between official announcements and rumors, the Mandalorian S2 is shaping up to triple down on the Clone Wars/Rebels content, to the degree that it may just become the "now Filoni's just showing off" show. It's like Crisis on Infinite Star Wars.

So double checking, Wikipedia lists all the characters as "official" with the sources being news outlets with Phantom Sources. So I'm treating the ones I've heard as rumors.

Oh, double checking, looks like I've missed a LOT: (this is now the "general Star Wars thread" now apparently)

-A new Starfighter game called Star Wars Squadrons just got announced. I grew up on the Rogue Squadron games (loved em) and I'm thrilled at the prospect of jumping in a SW cockpit in a good game again (The modern BF 2 campaign was forgettable, but the starfighter segments were a definite highlight.) I've not watched the trailer yet, but I've been informed that 1) it's been in development for two years now 2) It will feature a full campaign alternating between Rebel and Imperial (Yay) and 3) will feature (including in the trailer) Hera from Rebels, Wedge Antilles and stuff from The New Jedi Order storyline from the pre-Disney EU Whaaa?

-Director Sam Hargrave is directing an episode of the Mandalorian S2. He directed the Netflix exclusive action movie Extraction, starring Chris Hemsworth as an armed forces guy who fights like John Wick. Pretty plotless movie with really good action, and because it came out in 2020 it supposedly got insanely good ratings and they're already talking sequels and spinoffs. I guess Hargrave is now a huge get now and I imagine he'll do a great Manalorian.

-Rogue One writer Garry Whitta wants Danny Trejo to be on the Mandalorian. I think he'd fit right in among the inspired cast of guest stars the show has.

I'm putting the unconfirmed ones under the cut. Proceed at your own discretion.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:14:28 PM by Silver Shocker »
~Alleged Chinese Proverb

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 04:56:59 AM »
 :lol:

I heard most of these and when I saw the headline of that last one I assumed it would be someone else so I never looked, but that gave me a good giggle.

BTW, hope you've gotten through Fallen Order it's pretty awesome.

Fun Fact, all the lightsabers you can build in the game are available for you to build at Galaxy's Edge. I made my lightsaber match the one I made in the game! It's an exact replica!(okay, not exact, exact still pretty cool though!)

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 11:01:57 PM »
Hmm, if they made a straight update of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, I'd buy the HECK out of that thing.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey2

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 03:50:13 PM »
So Bad Batch got confirmed since my last post.

BTW, hope you've gotten through Fallen Order it's pretty awesome.

Haven't started it yet, I'm afraid. My backlog is truly outrageous. I'm probably going to read the prequel comic first.

How Long to Beat says 16-30 hours depending on whether you try to do all the extras. I could probably power through that. If I could beat KOTOR 2 I should be able to beat that.

Hmm, if they made a straight update of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, I'd buy the HECK out of that thing.

Disney/EA/whoever have rereleased SOME classic Star Wars video games from the Lucasarts vault (most recently, Episode 1 Racer) so it's not outside the realm of possibility. They've been dragging their heels on a lot of them.

In any case, I can say the new game is actually more of space sim in the style of those games (I was never really ever able to get into those, sad to say. A little too complex for my style) and not the more arcadey, Star-Fox-esque style of Rogue Squadron. So you might actually like it.
In any case, you may be interested to know that after doing some quick research, I see that it is on Steam and Good Old Games and mods to upgrade the graphics exist if that's something you'd be interested in.

~Alleged Chinese Proverb