Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, October 06, 2018, 09:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

Don't recall seeing this mentioned elsewhere, so here we are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg52up16eq0

Seriously, though, this looks like a lot of fun!  We're actually getting Spider-Ham into a big-screen film.  It's completely different form anything they are likely to do in live action and that just makes this better.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Shogunn2517

I heard they based Peter Parker on Raimi's Spider-Man but anyone know how close to Canon this is?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on October 06, 2018, 11:02:21 PM
I heard they based Peter Parker on Raimi's Spider-Man but anyone know how close to Canon this is?

Not certain, but most of the scenes they show of his past adventures are straight out copies of scenes from those movies.

BentonGrey

Haha, that looks absolutely delightful!  I'm definitely interested. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

UnkoMan

At first I wasn't sure about this art, but seeing this trailer brought me around to it.
I'm assuming the choppiness is a youtube problem.

Looks pretty fun though. I am digging an older, greying Peter.

Silver Shocker

He might be influenced on Raimi's Peter but he has mechanical web shooters which that version of Spider-Man did not. So unless that changed at some point in the timeline it's not literally that version of the character.

Movie looks fun enough. One part that sorta bugs me is they make Peter Parker pathetic in this. He's shlubby and out of shape looking, he tries to stick Miles with the check at the diner, he comes off as kind of a loser, which I think is a shame, because I like the idea of Peter as a mentor as Miles, but maybe a version of Pete that has his act together more (man, the non-ruined version of Spider-Girl feels like such a long time ago). I don't even remember the teenage versions of Spider-Man from the last two cartoon shows coming off this bad. It's especially disappointing considering the new (very good) Spider-Man video game that just came out, which featured a 20 + Peter (and teenage Miles) whose interactions with Miles never once came at Pete's expense.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Silver Shocker on October 07, 2018, 06:50:02 AM
Movie looks fun enough. One part that sorta bugs me is they make Peter Parker pathetic in this. He's shlubby and out of shape looking, he tries to stick Miles with the check at the diner,

Did you take a look at said check?  It was 30,000 dollars for that meal.  Miles has epic inflation in his universe, so of course Peter can't pay for that kind of bill.

And he doesn't look at all out of shape to me.  Older, but not out of shape.

Quote from: UnkoMan on October 07, 2018, 06:34:51 AM
I'm assuming the choppiness is a youtube problem.

Nope, chopiness is deliberate. They turned down the framerate, so it would look more like individual comic panels being animated.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 07, 2018, 03:09:47 PM

Did you take a look at said check?  It was 30,000 dollars for that meal.  Miles has epic inflation in his universe, so of course Peter can't pay for that kind of bill.

Assuming you're not being serious about that epic inflation thing, I like to think that the next thing that happens is Miles and Peter have to scrub toilets to make up for not being able to pay, like in The Mighty Ducks 3.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Silver Shocker on October 08, 2018, 11:31:29 AM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 07, 2018, 03:09:47 PM

Assuming you're not being serious about that epic inflation thing, I like to think that the next thing that happens is Miles and Peter have to scrub toilets to make up for not being able to pay, like in The Mighty Ducks 3.

I AM being serious.  Someone took a look at the screenshot of that bill.  It does indeed add up to 30,000 dollars for a couple of burger and fry meals.

UnkoMan

Screenshotted
Spoiler

That's a shame about that framerate. Well, I'll save criticism for final viewing.
The movie itself looks fun though.

Tomato

Saw this yesterday, movie was fantastic. The art style is fantastic overall, with the one kinda iffy element is the way they try to fake camera focus... the style doesn't mesh well with more typical blurring techniques, so instead they opt to do this sort of fake 3d thing where the things that are kind of double exposed? It's hard to describe but it's distracting in a few places, particularly in one shot when the focus slowly changes.

Otherwise, it's fantastic in action. The style allows for a lot of elements from comic books to work well in this film (thought caption boxes, sound effects, etc) and not be distracting the way they are in live action films that have tried to use those sorts of elements *cough*Hulk*cough*. Also, every Spider-man's origin/background is told via a comic book, which is brilliant and turns into a running gag.

Some spoilery thoughts (and seriously, do NOT read them before watching the film. It will spoil an early twist that is vital to the story.)

Spoiler
So I thought it was funny that, despite the "true tales of Spider-man" depicting him as the typical brunette, the Peter Parker of Miles' universe was actually Blonde. It's a cute nod and wink to Ben Reilly. It's funny, up until the funeral I actually thought he'd colored it in case he was unmasked during this fight.

That having been said, DAYUM did they not shy away from certain elements of Miles' comic origin. They actually made it more impactful by having Miles there, to where he COULD have helped save Peter. I also liked that the final blow was delivered by Kingpin instead of Osborn... While Gobby might have a decent number of stories focused on him in the Ultimate universe, I always felt like Kingpin was a more interesting antagonist in that series. And yes, I know I'm the guy who doesn't have a Kingpin figure on his shelf because "he's a DD villain" but I never promised consistency. There's also some wink wink nudge nudge between Kingpin's plan and what happened in the comics with the 616 Miles Morales (Spider-Men II).

And HO BOY the references in this film. Lots of stuff with Alchemax (I had to explain that to my non-comic friends, because I do feel as though the fact that it's not Oscorp is significant) and of course all the different Spider-Men. I also love how the "main" Spider-man is basically what would have happened had OMD not occurred. And oh yeah, look at that, a spider-man divorcee who has some baggage, sure, but is a likeable character IT'S ALMOST LIKE THAT'S STILL BETTER THAN HAVING YOUR HERO MAKING A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL.

Erm... anyway

Fantastic film. Highly recommended, great movie to take kids to.

Silver Shocker

I didn't mention but I don't really like the art style to this movie. Yeah, I've heard a few people online say the animation makes it look more like a comic book in motion but 1) I never really felt comic book adaptations needed to look like comics in motion in that way. I thought the cartoons like Spider-Man and Batman TAS and Justice League were fine the way the way they were and 2) I still just don't find it visually appealing. I think it has to do with the way they fool around with the frame rate. It just looks janky and choppy.

QuoteAlso, every Spider-man's origin/background is told via a comic book, which is brilliant and turns into a running gag.

I've seen a lot of modern video games do that, particularly when they want to cheap out and show a flashback or some other segment in another location without having to make the assets needed to show that scene in engine (mind you, that's obviously not why this movie does it). Infamous, a superhero themed game, did it, and most appropriately, the Deadpool video game did it for every X-Men character who guest starred, going so far as to show real comic covers.

Spoiler
So I thought it was funny that, despite the "true tales of Spider-man" depicting him as the typical brunette, the Peter Parker of Miles' universe was actually Blonde. It's a cute nod and wink to Ben Reilly. It's funny, up until the funeral I actually thought he'd colored it in case he was unmasked during this fight.

Spoiler
I assume the reason why the Spider-Man of Miles' universe is blond is because he is voiced by Chris Pine.

Also:

QuoteAnd he doesn't look at all out of shape to me.  Older, but not out of shape.

Here's a tv spot I saw the other day that acknowledges in-universe that he's gotten fat.

I will say, I do like that in the tv spots (including the above one) you can see Spider-Man, in full costume, doing the dance from Spider-Man 3. That's kinda great.
~Rocky Balboa

detourne_me

I loved the movie. The art style was gorgeous in my opinion, the way how they used the Ben-Day dots as a sort of filter to 'flatten' the 3D models and make it look like a comic was ingenious. I especially love the text boxes and sound effects being represented visually. So many fantastic design choices and references. From the Sienkiewicz Kingpin to... well... jeeze so much. Referencing all kinds of memes, and so on. I loved it.

spydermann93

Quote from: detourne_me on December 17, 2018, 02:54:59 AM
I loved the movie. The art style was gorgeous in my opinion, the way how they used the Ben-Day dots as a sort of filter to 'flatten' the 3D models and make it look like a comic was ingenious. I especially love the text boxes and sound effects being represented visually. So many fantastic design choices and references. From the Sienkiewicz Kingpin to... well... jeeze so much. Referencing all kinds of memes, and so on. I loved it.

Pretty much exactly this.

I love this movie! The style, the comic book feel, the music, the various Spider-People, the supporting cast, all great. Miles was awesome and I really liked Kingpin, too.

Mato brought up the "out-of-focus" stylistic choices and yeah, I agree, it was odd that they chose to do that, but it didn't bother me, even after I noticed it. I was thinking it was a problem with the screen I was at, but I quickly found out I was wrong, lol

Definitely worth a watch for anybody even remotely interested in Spider-Man. And if you don't like Spider-Man, this movie just might change your mind with a focus on a different Spider-Man than everybody is so used to seeing by now. 9/10 for me!

Tomato

Into the Spider Verse teasers hitting the net, release date is scheduled for April 2022

SickAlice

I think it was the best Spider-man film made thus far. The people involved were all huge fans that can quote issues and such, was talking to one of the people involved actually while they were still in production, the husband of the musician Jessicka Addams and his heart was in this. It shows in the film really. I had a showing of the film for the neighborhood kids at the Youth Center in town a week ago, they all went gonzo for it.

Silver Shocker

Japanese Power Rangers/Super Sentai-esque iteration "Supaidaman" has been announced to be appearing in the sequel. For those unfamiliar, he's Japanese, gets his powers from outer space alien sources and has a giant robot. I would imagine a version of him in Spider-Verse would be something vaguely similar to Peni Parker, who was altered from the comic's version (which was more than a little inspired by mecha shows such as Neon Genesis Evangelion) to a broad pastiche/parody of anime in general.

Since we're talking about Spider-Verse, I might as well mention I watched it a few months ago. Didn't care for it.  It's a huge success and people loved it, and it's probably the main reason Sony has any claim to the Spider-Man property (that and Venom making a surprising amount of money) and apparently will lead to lots of cool stuff in the future (including DC considering an animated theatrical Batman Beyond movie) so I'm happy about that, but unable to get out of it what others did.

To give a few reasons, I thought the animation was too garish and choppy for my tastes, found Kingpin too "thug"-esque (I prefer Kingpin to be more sophisticated; probably because I grew up on the 90's Spider-Man cartoon and Kingpin in that was pretty suave), I found the humor and references pretty underwhelming (likely because I've followed the comics and animated projects that referenced all the same stuff this is) and quite frankly, what this movie did with Peter Parker is one of the most offensive things I've ever seen done to the character (his backstory in the film included). Spider-Man Noir struck me as a vague Lego Batman knock off with about 30 seconds worth of total material to run the joke. Honestly the only thing I particularly enjoyed about the film was John Mulaney's perfectly hammy performance as Spider-Ham.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade; I just thought now was the right time to say my peace.
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

Nothing wrong having your own preferences and tastes friend. A lot of the aesthetics that are unappealing to yourself are in turn appealing to others for different reasons all the same. For myself a lot of it comes from a background as a person who wanted and schooled to be an animator. Many of those tropes speak to me on that level.