News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Orville

Started by HarryTrotter, November 02, 2018, 11:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Making my way thru season 1 now.And funny thing is this is Star Trek.Intro,visuals,music,storylines,its Star Trek with a sitcom layer.And im enjoying it so far.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

daglob

Quote from: HarryTrotter on November 02, 2018, 11:18:05 AM
Making my way thru season 1 now.And funny thing is this is Star Trek.Intro,visuals,music,storylines,its Star Trek with a sitcom layer.And im enjoying it so far.

You mean the original wasn't?   ;)

Silver Shocker

Heheh, nice. The original Star Trek was very goofy and episodic, and TNG and Voyager, if not the others, at least tried to replicate some of that.

As for the Orville, I'd heard it's not a bad alternative if you want a old-school Star Trek fix and Discovery's style doesn't scratch that itch. I have a friend who likes Star Trek who refuses to watch Discovery but said he wants to watch the Orville with me but he's usually busy with family and career so it didn't end up happening but it might in the future.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I mean I expected a sort of parody like Galaxy Quest,or fast paced humor of Family Guy,but this isnt either.Dialogue is very sitcom like,but other them that,this COULD really pass as ST,with serial numbers filed off.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Peter David said that with a few changes, the Orville could be Star Trek, and with a few changes, Discovery could be NOT Star Trek.

Have they gotten any Trek actors to appear on the show? It'd be great or say, Micheal Dorn, Jeffrey Combs or Dwight Schultz appeared.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Well,Penny Johnson (Kasidy Yates) is a regular.And there is a cameo by Liam Neeson.IDK if he was in Star Trek before,but its cool.
Wait,Robert Picardo.  :)
And possibly some more by the end of season.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Lady Grey and I watched several episodes of this, and it just didn't grab us.  It just seemed like the show didn't know what it really wanted to be.  Did it want to be a comedy or a drama.  It wasn't funny enough for the one or good enough for the latter.  In general, it was just pretty weak, we found.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

I understand that mostly.Thou it might be the other way around.It knows whats it wants to be,but its trying to be too much at once sometimes.

Oh yeah,Star Trek cameos,Steven Culp.Tom Parris is one of the writers,btw.So is Brannon Braga.Actually,there is a lot of ST veterans around.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: HarryTrotter on November 02, 2018, 10:34:06 PM
Well,Penny Johnson (Kasidy Yates) is a regular.And there is a cameo by Liam Neeson.IDK if he was in Star Trek before,but its cool.
Wait,Robert Picardo.  :)
And possibly some more by the end of season.

Yay! I always enjoy a good Robert Picardo appearance.  ^_^

Brannon Braga, eh? So one of the guys involved with the era of Star Trek that almost killed Star Trek is now working on an affectionate parody of Star Trek? Neat, not sure if I should be looking too far into that. At least Rick Berman's not involved. No wonder Mike Staklosa (Redlettermedia's "Mr. Plinket") likes the Orville.

Then again Ronald D. Moore followed up Deep Space Nine with DS9's darker, meaner, bleaker older brother aka the reboot of Battlestar Galactica.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Battlestar Galactica is a show I REALLY wanted to like,but I couldnt get into it.Inability to keep up with its own internal logic and Gaius drove me off.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Hey,TWO Star Trek doctors in one episode. 😀
And Patrick Warburton as that guy from the trailer,who goes a bit underused in his debut episode.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Hey,Tim Russ.  :)
And Im beginning to think there is a bit too much of romance episodes at this point.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Not every episode has to be serious sci-fi,but before Identity,we had Deflectors and Happy Refrain,two more romance/sexuality based episodes.It feels like there is a lot of that going on.
Also,this episode was a bit like "Be right back".The Black Mirror episode.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Ok so,what if Ed and Kelly never got married?As a two part season finale?
Feels like a bit of a letdown,and I just dont care for this "will they,wont they" drama...

Oh yeah,Marina Sirtris was the teacher at the beginning of "Sanctuary". ☺️
Jon Farmer

GhostMachine

WelL, the show is now going to be  :angry: a Hulu exclusive  :angry:, instead of airing on Fox. So....DEAD TO ME!  :thumbdown: