Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

Incredible Bulk

Sith Prime

Panther_Gunn

'Nuff said.

(now it's time for the feels)

:cry:
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Incredible Bulk

Sith Prime

HarryTrotter

''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Our world is lessened by his loss.  I wrote my own little tribute on the Greylands....it's sort of hard to believe he's gone.  I had just gotten used to his always being around.
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/2018/11/12/excelsior-farewell-to-stan-lee/

This feels like the ending of an age.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

OrWolvie1

There are very few people in the world who had the kind of impact and influence that Stan had. A true pioneer in every sense of the word and a true legend. He will be forever missed and never be forgotten. :(

BentonGrey

Whoops!  Fixed.  Thanks DJ!

Indeed Or, indeed. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

OrWolvie1

A lot has already been said around the world about this wonderful man, and I'm sure there will more being said over the next several days. His legacy will live on in each and every once of the people that he touched in some small way. He inspired so many with his stories, his characters and his wonderful and insightful imagination. Words don't even do any semblance of justice to the man.

Silver Shocker

Profound sadness. Not much to say that hasn't already been said. It's already been confirmed that he filmed his cameo for Avengers 4. I would guess he's already filmed his cameo for the next Spider-Man film (since that's well under way and Stan's been filming his cameos well in advance for a few years now just in case) so including Captain Marvel, we can probably expect to see him on the big screen at least 3 more times, 4 if he did a voiceover cameo for the Into the Spider-Verse animated film. I would guess he recorded material for his character in the Big Hero 6 tv show in advance for season 2.

Excelsior True Believers!
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Nyte Dragon

Rest well true believer, you touched more lives then can be counted. You gave us stories, heroes,  and concepts that have helped create our modern mythology. You helped make comics feel more open to fans by doing the Marvel Bullpen and Stan's Soapbox. You treated your readers with the respect by never talking down to us, but instead you treated the fans and readers as equals. Once more you'll be with your beloved Joan, and I hope you and Jack Kirby are weaving new stories in the hereafter.

#RIPStanLee
Hate is always foolish and love is always wise.
 ⁓Doctor Who

cranlox

En mi lejana infancia, llegó a modo de herencia un pequeño muñeco del Capitán América, cuando yo tenía unos 6 años de edad.
En aquel entonces, recibido sin saber de quien era o de quien fue solo sabiendo que se estaba vaciando para vender la casa de mi abuela.
En ese momento tocó por primera vez en mi vida una creación de Stan Lee. Luego durante una etapa dura de bullying en mi adolescencia volvió a estar muy presente con sus ejemplos de personajes heroicos y factibles cercanos.
Es difícil de dimensionar lo que significó este hombre que falleció hoy.
Seguramente fue muchas cosas pero entre todas se destaca la de creador.
Comparto mi religión con DareDevil y se que está mejor ahora, en la gloria de Dios.
Espero que desde allí no deje de iluminar con inspiración directa o indirecta a futuros creadores.
Gracias por crear, gracias por hacerlo y por ser un inmortal en el corazón colectivo de la cultura mundial.

In my distant childhood, a little figure of Captain America arrived when I was about 6 years old.
At that time I received it without knowing who was or what happened in that house.that I was emptying to sell my grandmother's house.
At that moment I contact the first time in my life a creation of Stan Lee. Then, during a hard stage of bullying in my adolescence, he became very present again with his examples of heroic and feasible nearby characters.
It is difficult to determine what this man who died today means.
Surely it was many things but among all the creator stands out
I share my religion with DareDevil and I know that it is better now, in the glory of God.
I hope that from there it does not stop illuminating with direct or indirect inspiration future creators.
Thank you for creating, thank you for doit and for being an immortal in the collective heart of world culture.

BentonGrey

Wow, thank you for sharing that with us, Cranlox.  :)
God Bless

Tomato

I'm having a hard time processing my feelings on this.

On the one hand, the loss of Stan Lee, the creator/co-creator of most of the Marvel Universe, is a blow. Lee championed the Industry through his entire life, even filming movie cameos in his 90s. And even if you're among those who fall into the "Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko should be credited as the creators" camp, it was Lee's words that gave the characters life.

On the other... The man was 95, and his health hasn't been great this last year or so. I feel almost selfish being like "we got nearly a century of time with Lee, but danggit we needed MORE." The man lived a great life. I'm more grateful for the time we did get than sad at what we didn't.

BentonGrey

That's fair, 'Mato, but even if the man lived an exceptional life and, by accounts, was ready to go (may I have half so much fortune and composure), we are still saddened by his loss.  It may not be unfair, except in that death is always unfair, but it is still sad.
God Bless

HarryTrotter

Disgusting development,but it needs to be pointed out.Not that I ever had any fate in humanity,but NPC-comic-pros are basicly celebrating because Stan was thisphobic and thatphobic and...really?They couldnt wait a day.  :banghead:
Jon Farmer

daglob

Stan Lee was human. There , I said it.

Anyone singing "Ding, Dong, Stan Lee is Dead" should be webbed, clobbered, and smashed...

HarryTrotter

Even if there was any eveidence for any of that,its really not the time.Why now,why not last week?
Best "evidence" they came up with is that Stan said Marvel should create some new heroes instead of trying to remodel established ones.This would be ridicolous if it wasnt sad.
Jon Farmer

daglob

Quote from: HarryTrotter on November 13, 2018, 09:38:59 PM
Even if there was any evidence for any of that, its really not the time. Why now,why not last week?
Best "evidence" they came up with is that Stan said Marvel should create some new heroes instead of trying to remodel established ones. This would be ridiculous if it wasn't sad.

From what I understand a lot of people have said that.

HarryTrotter

My point exactly.
But its easier to label anyone who says that a racist,the to actually try writing comics.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Well that's something I wish I didn't need to know.

The guy was 95 years old. It was a very different time when he was in his prime. And lest we forget, he did a lot to move things in the right direction. Amazing Spider-Man featured anti-drug stories and Randy Robertson protesting at a college campus, and while an X-Men lineup made up of entirely white people would seem absurd outside of the 60s, it still ended up being a stand-in for intolerance that's lasted to this day. With Fantastic Four, he made a point to have the female character be a legit member of the team instead of a shrinking violet love interest (ditto the Wasp and Jean Grey).

About the other thing:

QuoteAnd even if you're among those who fall into the "Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko should be credited as the creators" camp, it was Lee's words that gave the characters life.

Yeah, you hear that a lot in recent years, but Peter David would like to shut that stuff down, no exceptions.

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

daglob

If the public doesn't like your masterpiece then blame the public. This includes the person who could be considered the reason you are writing anything, if it is a Marvel Comic.

I had a rant that I'm erasing. I'm older than Peter David, and I was there at the birth of the Age of Marvel Comics too.

Go in peace, Stan.

BentonGrey

There will always be back forth about 'Stan and Jack', as well as the other great names surrounding Stan in the old Marvel days, but there is no denying that, together, they created things that were truly special.  As others have said, they were always better together than they ever were apart.  I'll always be in Jack Kirby's corner in a lot of ways, but in terms of creative credit, and especially in terms of any nonsense about 20th century Stan not sharing some moron's 21st century views exactly enough for his taste, you've still got to give the man his due: He was an amazing guy, taken all in all, and intimately involved in the incredibly imaginative work of creating a universe.  Especially now as we honor his memory, this is the time to admire the good.
God Bless

Tomato

Since I opened this can of worms... we could go back and forth about Lee/Kirby and Lee/Ditko (the latter of which has had a bit more animosity, IMHO) but I have always compared Stan to Bob Kane. For most of my life, Kane has been credited as the sole creator of Batman... even though based on third party accounts, I think it's fair to say that Bill Finger is the one responsible for most of the ideas that made up the character's DNA (the costume, Robin, most of the early rogues galley, etc). But Kane wrote it into his contract with DC comics that Batman was HIS, that HE was the ONLY one involved in his creation, and got SOLE credit. There are multiple accounts of him taking credit for other's work, using ghost artists to compensate for his inability to do the job, etc.

Lee, by contrast, has ALWAYS given credit. He's been careful to call them his creations and keeps top billing... but I can think of no instance where he has ever claimed that Kirby and Ditko were not involved in the creative process, and their names have been in every bit of media to feature their creations. And even if you want to sit there and say 99% of the effort that went into making the comic was the artist (which I feel is disingenuous) he still wrote the words, and still came up with the ideas. Trying to separate who came up with what SPECIFICALLY is a tangled mess that glosses over the benefits of a collaborative process.

Was he perfect? Oh heck no. The man was a businessman, the comic equivalent of a car salesman. He was a party to many of the prejudices of his era. But you know what he also was? The man who created and/or pushed for several of the first black superheroes. Who called Bigotry and Intolerance one of the biggest issues in America. He was trying to break down social barriers at a time where it wasn't ok to do so. I may be further on the SJW scale than others here, but I honestly feel like expecting more out of the man, especially given the era he's from... at that point, you're just being a troll, and I don't feel like feeding into it more than I have.

HarryTrotter

The way some people flanderized Stan Lee...well,Bob Kane was exactly like that.Kanes tombstone credits God as the cocreator of Batman,if that doesnt tell you all you needed to know...
But this isnt anything new,sadly.When Steve Ditko passed away,you had people like Aubrey Sitterson bashing him for his objectivist views.Because thats the important part.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

God Bless

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

daglob

I've seen one where assorted stars of the Marvel movies have said hail and farewell...

GhostMachine

He apparently already filmed cameos for Captain Marvel and Avengers 4, plus possibly one other movie. Some website (Buzzfeed or Nerdist, maybe?) is talking about him showing up in further films as either CGI or a statue.

A statue I wouldn't mind. But CGI? No thanks.

daglob

Show him on a TV, a picture on a newspaper, a billboard ("Buy Honest Stan's Used Spider-Mobiles"), the cover of a book (or comic book)... even his voice coming  out of a radio... there are a lot of ways for him to continue his career as a movie star.