News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Mapping with Nifskope

Started by BentonGrey, January 05, 2019, 08:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy guys!  Does anyone happen to have any clue where I could look to find tutorials about what settings a map's terrain needs to have in Nifskope to be recognize as terrain.  Specifically, I want characters to be able to walk around on it and interact like regular ground.  I've imported different objects into terrain.nifs, and in the case of the Timemaster finale giant cog map, it worked reasonably well, and once I found the right way to import it, it was treated like regular ground.  However, I'm working on a big oil rig map, and the crane object I've pasted in and blown up to be the rig shows up nicely, but characters fall right through it.  I feel like if I could learn more about the settings of these things, I might be able to figure out how to get the game to read them correctly, but I don't even know where to begin to look.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

SickAlice

I know generally speaking Nifskope wasn't geared to terrain manipulation and other programs are what's suggested. Usually 3d modelling ones. If anyone has made strides with this it would probably be the Skyrim community. Else just guessing by what you typed but it sounds like when you did the first terrain you managed to set it so the object itself would also be used as it's own bounding box and that the same process was not repeated in the second. I don't know much about doing that since I make characters but I recall running into it with an object I made and would start searching there. Goes without saying searching the keyword "map" is difficult since it points to a texture quality in Nifskope.

detourne_me

I've had VERY limited success with importing terrain files through nifskope. There are a few maps i uploaded to my mediafire... maybe the Blue Area of the Moon map from Contest of Champions would be a good example.  I think I sent you my Star Wars mod, too. So there is the Endor Bunker map, with some success there.
Years ago, I also converted Ink's Galactus World mesh into a map for FFVTTR, it should be in one of my yahoo groups.

I think there are certain tags, like AREA_DIRT, AREA_PASSABLE, that you need to add in Nifskope to the terrain files.

The other option would be making them object templates, and populating a normal blank terrain .nif with the objects in FFEdit.  Then you would need to tag the object with stuff like flyover=1, etc.
I was going to attempt doing that, but honestly I'm pretty bad at using FFEdit, so I never got around to it.