CW's Supergirl

Started by stumpy, March 08, 2019, 12:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

I am finally catching up with this show. Really, my wife and I had given up on Supergirl early in season 3. Because, basically,
  • The show suffers from one of the worst things plaguing other CW DC shows: The notion that it's somehow entertaining to watch supposed heroes spend so much time wallowing in guilt over things that they clearly are not responsible for. How is it even believable that anyone could be a superhero if they have such a poorly developed understanding of how <surprise!> it's the villains who are responsible for the acts of villainy that the villains commit?
  • Supergirl has the added burden of being a feelz show to an extent that would almost be unacceptable if it were a show about a high school counselor. On a show that has a superhero with actual Kryptonian powers, it's beyond ridiculous that there are three or four scenes in every episode where characters stop (often right before, after, or <facepalm!> during and urgent situation) and have a "how are you feeling about [emotional issue that popped up at some point]?" talk.

Anyway, despite its flaws, I have been a Legion of Superheroes fan since childhood. And, honestly, Supergirl is one of those characters I loved and thought was seldom done well in her own books. She was better in the LSH books. So, when it was clear that the Supergirl was going to be introducing Mon-El, Brainiac 5, Saturn Girl, and possibly other Legionnaires, I had to give it another chance.

Was it worth it? Probably not. Did they get the LSH characters right? Not even close. But, I must say that I have liked some of the LSH nostalgia. Included in that was the following bumper piece that ran before the most recent holiday season (basically where I have caught up to).
Which, if you don't know, is the CW show line-up (I am assuming; I have only seen 4 of their current shows) done in the Interlac style of the old Legion Mission Monitor Board (e.g. like these).

BTW, feel free to discuss any aspect of the show here. I realize there was a broader Arrowverse thread active at some point. But, I'd prefer to have each show, as much as possible, discussed in it's own thread. That way, people can talk about one show without being spoilered for other shows they haven't watched yet.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I can't really dismiss any of the stuff you said here. It's the kind of melodrama that's been associated with CW shows since at least Smallville. I still like the show, but yes, there is a lot of angst in these shows.

I've also enjoyed the Legion stuff. they changed up the casting a bit with Saturn Girl but honestly I liked the actress who they cast as the character. I find her charming. And Brainy! That guy cracks me up or puts a smile on my face every time he opens his mouth. He just has such a funny way of talking. I also quite like the new character who is in S4 (not sure if you know who I'm talking about so I'll keep it vague). I find that character likable and the person playing them does a good job.

I mentioned when the show was first coming out, that I was very much a casual Supergirl. My main exposure to her was in the Justice League cartoon, but I like her in this.

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

GhostMachine

This whole racist against aliens thing is basically X-Men with extraterrestrials, and I do not like that the current President on the show is one of the anti-alien contengent.

They got none of the Legion members right, and I am not too thrilled that they decided to make the Dream Girl equivalent character transgender, rather than introducing a brand new transgender character.

Silver Shocker

In any case, next week's promo:

Jon Cryer IS Lex Luthor.

Yeaaaaaah, this looks pretty awesome.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa