News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Doom Patrol

Started by kkhohoho, March 16, 2019, 01:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkhohoho

Anyone seen Doom Patrol? It's pretty lit. Probably one of the best Superhero shows I've seen.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I know right? It's fantastic. It's gotta be the show I most look forward to every week right now.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Panther_Gunn

:blink:

wait.....what?  Where is this?  Regular broadcast TV, streaming, something else?

But a way more important set of questions, does daglob know about this, and what does he think about it?
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on March 17, 2019, 02:38:36 AM
:blink:

wait.....what?  Where is this?  Regular broadcast TV, streaming, something else?

But a way more important set of questions, does daglob know about this, and what does he think about it?

It's on DC's streaming service, DC Universe.

daglob

Da Glob thinks it looks like a variation on the Grant Morrison Doom Patrol and does not intend to watch it.

I can't help it, I'm old.

Silver Shocker

1. Space is airing it in Canada, just like Star Trek Discovery.

2. Yep, it's very much based on the Grant Morrison era forward (i.e. The Chief is a manipulative jerk, and the rest of the characters are a bunch of dysfunctional misfits)

If you didn't like that take from the comics, yeah, this show's probably not for you. It's basically Watchmen mixed with Legion mixed with Deadpool.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

kkhohoho

Amusingly, Arnold Drake himself reportedly praised the Morrison run as being truer to the spirit of his original tenure than any other run since. Which isn't that out there if you think about it.

kkhohoho

Saw the latest episode of Doom Patrol. On the one hand it's a very good ep. On the other hand diehard fans of the comics are gonna be ticked.

Silver Shocker

*chuckles* Oh I know. I was totally saying that after I watched it. Mind you, I barely knew who any of these people were, so it wasn't a problem to me, but I was thinking diehard fans...well yeah.

I mean, I was thinking the whole time, what's better, this, or when Geoff Johns had some of the more obscure Doom Patrol characters show up in Forever Evil just to get killed off? Pick your poison.

But on the other hand, hot dog, is the cast great in this. I don't think I'm ever going get sick of Brendan Fraiser being grumpy as Robot Man. He's like a big robot version of Hellboy.

A question for y'all:

Spoiler
The episode, by the end, gives a definitive answer as to why Mento and the other newly introduced characters hadn't aged at all....or rather didn't appear to. But I was wondering about the Chief. I was looking him up on DC wiki and in the comics he created a formula to slow his aging Nick Fury style. Did that make it into the show? I can't remember because either it did, and I already forgot, it did and I just missed that part, or they haven't established it yet. Either way, Timothy Dalton is showing up in like 1956 and he basically looks the same as he does now. And unless they've established the formula already, a lot of people are gonna be watching that and be like....um, what the hell?

Anyways, the promo for this episode made me think they were just going to make fun of the costumes and make fun of Mento's codename...but nope, they pretty much went full Watchmen on that business.

They've also turned Animal Vegtable Minerable Man into a walking punchline...I mean, I think it's amazing that a villain as bizarre as him made it into the show at all, but they could have at least tried to make him a credible threat. I mean, when the version in Batman: Brave and the Bold is played more straight, you know they've committed to making fun of him.

Also: THE BRAIN!!!
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Sweet merch there,Mr Nobody.
And btw,as much as some people like pointing out that Frankenstein is the scientist and not the monster...its not really true.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Apparently, looking it up online, the first source to use the name to refer to the monster was a play that came out while the book was out of print. As I understand it, it varies from iteration to iteration, but it's endured because of adaptations. It's apparently not in the original book.

In any case, as Linkara made sure to point out, The DC comics version of Frankenstein IS named Frankenstein -- makes you wonder if he exists in the word of the Doom Patrol tv show.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Dozens of movies used the name Frankenstein for the monster,so it stuck.
Btw,funny fact,Dr Frankenstein NEVER had an assistant named Igor,so how did that came about?
Jon Farmer

daglob

Some say The Bride of Frankenstein actually started it, but Frankenstein's bride is actually in it. The Prize Comics Frankenstein series stated in the first adventure (I think it was the first) that the creator's name had been linked to the monster for so long that they would just use it to refer to the monster. And to every kid who watched the re-release in the '50s or saw it on TV in the '60s that big, hulking, flat-headed old galoot IS Frankenstein.

HarryTrotter

Or Frankenstein meets the Wolfman,which does call the monster Frankenstein and the scientist never appears.
Or- Frankenstein is a last name and the monster is Victors son .
Or things changed since the the original story.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

So I originally wrote a longer version of my post that mentioned, mostly the kind of stuff you guys mentioned (including the lack of Igor in the original story) but I wanted to at least try to keep the topic on Doom Patrol, and not go off on a tangent, but since we're all in now...

According to research I did last night, the name first appeared in a play that was put out while the book was out of print. Mary Shelly apparently did call the monster "Adam" in letters sent out to friends (presumably based on a line from the novel where them monster says to Victor that he is "The Adam of your labors". Other plays (and the original version of the Karloff movie) just credited the monster as "???" which Shelly apparently liked, as she liked the idea of keeping him "the unnamable".

Naturally, my mind went to the Castlevania video games, where he's referred to as "The Creature". Which is funny, because there's also the Creature from the Black Lagoon....
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

We did went off topic,but at least there is something happening so...
Even when you say Frankenstein, the first picture that comes to you is the Karloff version.
The Mary Sue (which is still a thing apparently) also has an article on it.Their take is that monsters full name would in fact be Adam Frankenstein. 😊

He was in Catlevania?Seems logical,actually.Thou I only played the Sorrow duology and Im not an expert on Castlevania.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yep, he was a boss in the very first Castlevania on the NES, and appeared in several other installments including Dawn of Sorrow (in which, according to the Castlevania wiki, he appears "ever so rarely").
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

So I know I'm just continuing in the utter derailment this topic has become for the moment, but this conversation led me to try and find the episode where Linkara was explaining his position on it (I found the clip, but not the episode it was from) but I did discover a conversation about it where, apparently, Mary Shelley apparently had the name "Adam" in mind for the monster(the idea being the first man of a new race named after the biblical first man), but without re-reading the book I don't know whether that made its way into the story or if that's just a "writer intent vs actual source" thing, aka a "JK Rowling".

That said, The monster makes a big deal about his daddy issues with Victor, so I feel like having the same surname is appropriate. Also, to quote one of my favorite specials "When the Legend becomes fact, print the legend" IE: Even if he's not named Frankenstein in the source material, so many think he is that its easier to just use the Frankenstein name.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Silver Shocker on May 14, 2019, 11:35:25 PM
Yep, he was a boss in the very first Castlevania on the NES, and appeared in several other installments including Dawn of Sorrow (in which, according to the Castlevania wiki, he appears "ever so rarely").

Was he the one who shows up in the background as a hidden enemy?I vaguely remember that.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

No, he's never called Adam in the book.  There are implicit parallels to Adam, and maybe some explicit ones as well, but he's never directly named that.  He's never named.  Of course, the justifications y'all list are reasonable. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Yes,but the later adaptations,like we said before...anyway,point is that Robotman wasnt wrong.
He knows his Universal monsters,he went up against the Mummy.
Somebody had to say it.
Jon Farmer

daglob

Quote from: HarryTrotter on May 15, 2019, 03:08:12 PM
Yes,but the later adaptations,like we said before...anyway,point is that Robotman wasnt wrong.
He knows his Universal monsters,he went up against the Mummy.
Somebody had to say it.

:D

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Tomato on May 15, 2019, 04:12:38 AM
So I know I'm just continuing in the utter derailment this topic has become for the moment, but this conversation led me to try and find the episode where Linkara was explaining his position on it (I found the clip, but not the episode it was from)

I can't quite remember if he brought it up in an episode of Atop the Fourth Wall. I'm tempted to say it was brought up in his review of Battle for Bludhaven, since the organization S.H.A.D.E. shows up in that story and Frankenstein was an Agent of that group in the New 52 comic "Frankenstein and the Agents of S.H.A.D.E.". In any case, when the New 52 launched, Linkara did a series of weekly reviews of the first issues of every newly launched series (it was called "That's All I'm Saying") and it included Frankenstein. It might have been there. Unfortunately, I think those reviews were lost when Blip was shut down.

Quotebut without re-reading the book I don't know whether that made its way into the story or if that's just a "writer intent vs actual source" thing, aka a "JK Rowling".

Pulling a "JK Rowling". That's good. I'll have to remember that.
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

Just call him Casanova.
Casanova Frankenstein.  Ha ha ha.

I finished Doom Patrol today. It's clunky in places, kind of rough, but I got to say... I really love it.

I was iffy on why Cyborg was on it at first, but the way they did his character worked well in the context of the show. Nothing like any of the Cyborgs I've ever seen in other media, but whatever.

Silver Shocker

We've still got one more episode.
Speaking of which, despite Mr. Nobody saying we were going to get what we wanted all along ("A Superhero show!") the newest episode, while very enjoyable, does have me wondering if the series is trolling the fans again.

Spoiler
They make sure to namedrop the Brotherhood of Evil, the Brain, and even drop a reference to Mister Mallah, and then have the Doom Patrol run off to fight the Brotherhood of Evil at the end of the episode....and we don't get to see them! And then it turns out it didn't even happen. I mean, that rope-a-dope was pretty cool, but I find myself somewhat let down. I really wanted to see the Brain and Monseiur Mallah! Hmm, maybe in season 2?
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

Whoops! I'm so used to seasons of shows being so short now, and episode 13 was such a fitting season one end.
Ha ha ha.
But I for sure agree with your last note in the spoiler tag. Those characters are just as much a part of DP for me as the "heroes," so I am hoping they show at some point.