News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

don't know if this goes here

Started by PrestonUie, June 13, 2019, 05:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrestonUie

OK so i have a question, why haven't anyone made any youtube videos on how to mod  :ff: and  :ffvstr: ? honestly it would really help, for example i'm trying to download voice packs, FX and sound effects. now to alot of you this seems like an easy task but for me its a nightmare. everything that is told to me i seem to be doing wrong and i don't even know what it is that i did wrong. some people tell me "put it in this folder" but i can't find the folder. also there are some things that a visual tutorial would really benefit the the person learning like how to use the mod tool or the character tool or how to fix a mesh or put a skin on a mesh or how to us the converter or heck anything when it comes to modding. the only 2 things that i seem to be getting right is downloading characters (which isn't 100% accurate) and how to run pre made mods (but it was only one mod so i still may suck at that).

I'm sorry to the people trying to help me, i know your doing your best but every thing you try to tell me ether goes over my head and i get scared and confused or it just didn't work. oh and thank you for putting up with me every time i say " i don't under stand"

PrestonUie

alright update on the sound update!! i'm an idiot , i didn't have winrar. but there is a part that i'm still not sure about

"2. Install the included Characters.dat and Objects.dat over your own. You can merge the objects.dat with FFEdit if you wish but it's best to start with a clean slate if you want to add more voice packs in the future."

i don't know how to do that

Cyber Burn

Honestly, I'be never messed with voice packs before, but as far as merging (.dat) Files goes (and I apologize, I'm doing this from memory on my phone, not my computer, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong ), there should be a button on FFEDIT that actually says "Merge Dats". But before you click on it, you want to copy and paste your original (.dat) file so that you have a copy of it in case something goes wrong. After you have made a copy, go ahead and click on the "Merge Dats" button. I believe it will ask you which file you want to merge to. So if you decide to merge your object.dat file with the one provided with the voice pack, you would need to click on your original object.dat. Then it should ask you what file do you want to merge from? In which case, there should be another object.dat file (Most likely with a different name) that you would want to click on. If I remember correctly, it will ask you if you want to merge the two (.dat) Files, if so, click "Yes". It may take a minute or two, but then you should receive a message stating that the two (.dat) Files were successfully merged.

Important:

Rule #1.)

Always back up your files before making any changes to them!!!

BentonGrey

Why aren't there video tutorials for all of this?  Good question Preston, and the short answer is that folks just haven't done them.  Youtube wasn't as ubiquitous in the heyday of  :ff:.  For the rest of us, this is a small community, and I suppose we forget how daunting it can be to get into all this.  :)

CB, I think your walkthrough is basically correct.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

PrestonUie

yeah i understand its just frustrating at times, i want to learn all this but i'm better with video teaching then reading but you guys have been very helpfull

BentonGrey

Well, once you sort all this stuff out, that might actually be a really wonderful way for you to give something back to the community, making some tutorial videos.  :)  If I had infinite time, I would make some, because you're certainly right.  Unfortunately, there just aren't enough hours in the day.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

PrestonUie

i couldn't teach a monkey how to eat a banana lol also i'm not even sure i know what im doing

BentonGrey

Haha, well, I wasn't thinking you might do this tomorrow, but a lot of folks, once they get their sea legs around here, decide they want to give something back to the community.  You don't have to, of course, but I think it's great for folks to find a way to add something to the legacy of FR.  :)
God Bless

PrestonUie

if anyone wants me to write a sweat story line for a mod thats about all i can do lol

BentonGrey

Well, I first tried to jump whole-hog into modding...and failed spectacularly.  Then I started making voicepacks because that was something easy enough for me to do.  I had to work up to the more complicated things. :)
God Bless

PrestonUie

i still don't understand voice packs