News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Changing Concrete

Started by BentonGrey, July 20, 2019, 04:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy guys!  I'm messing around with balance in the DCUG, and I am intrigued by the hidden material type, concrete.  It is ALMOST a perfect answer to my invulnerability issues, but the extra resistance to crushing screws up balance.  Is there any way to change that?  I know we can't change regular material types, but I'm not sure exactly what the status of concrete is.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

spydermann93

Unfortunately, as far as I've dug around, I could not find out how to change resistances on materials.

It's agitating that it gives High Resistance to Piercing and no resistance to Energy. ACK!

daglob

Dunno... real concrete is actually a hydrated solid, and under heat or (I would guess) energy the water boils and causes pieces of the concrete to spall off. Some pieces spall off with a lot of violence, and I have a couple of scars to prove it.

spydermann93

Dang it, Glob!

Enough of your "reason" and "logic"!

I want a perfectly rounded and resistant material, dag nabbit!

daglob

It's neither reason nor logic, but hard won experience.

oktokels

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 20, 2019, 04:32:12 AM
Howdy guys!  I'm messing around with balance in the DCUG, and I am intrigued by the hidden material type, concrete.  It is ALMOST a perfect answer to my invulnerability issues, but the extra resistance to crushing screws up balance.  Is there any way to change that?  I know we can't change regular material types, but I'm not sure exactly what the status of concrete is.

Just wondering.... What type of defense are you trying to get? Have you tried combo attributes?

BentonGrey

Well thanks guys, I was afraid of that.  This rather throws my plans out the window, unfortunately. 

Ok: Yep, I've tried most things.  I'm looking for an alternative to my invulnerability model from the DCUG.  I use Physical Resistance and various levels Invulnerability.  The upside of that model is that it is very simple to balance.  The downside is that there is no way for characters to interact with that type of invulnerability like they can with material resistances.  I was hoping to find a material type that would let me have the best of both worlds.  Ideally, I want a character who is resistant to physical damage and has some damage reduction on top of that.  That way, their resistances could be overcome, say, by smart or scientific characters, etc.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Epimethee

Sorry, no known way to change resistances with material types. Yeah, bummer. The way IG implemented this (and anything related to damage type) isn't mod-friendly, alas. A workaround might be to use a material which does mostly what you want, but is weaker in an area, and compensate with a passive. Add a resistance attribute or two to the mix as needed.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Epimethee

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 21, 2019, 10:19:57 PMThat way, their resistances could be overcome, say, by smart or scientific characters, etc.
Something like the Scientist attribute in the Strangers? i.e., add a custom command on characters and objets depending on the situation. It wasn't implemented in FFX as it was very situational in Strangers, but something more limited but using the same mechanic could probably be done.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

BentonGrey

Epi, yeah, what I have done when I HAVE used material resistance is use stone or metal and then compensate with attributes.  The trouble is not being able to add resistance attributes to multi attributes means you're limited, and in my designs, attribute space is at a premium.  If I could create a multi attribute resistance package, that would solve the problem in 99% of cases. 

If I had all the time in the world, I'd love to do situational things like that in my campaigns, but no, I was just talking about Genetic Damage attacks, which I give to my genius characters.  Unfortunately, they're largely wasted because of the way I've built my tough and invulnerable characters. 
God Bless