News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Material Types

Started by drjudgebot, July 10, 2022, 11:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drjudgebot

I am curious how material types work in conjunction with things like ARMORED, SOLID SKELETON, etc and overall damage mitigation. I'm reinstalling all this for the Nth time and as I'm importing hero files, I'm seeing a lot of FLESH for characters I think should be METAL or something else. Superman and Iron Man are both FLESH materials in the files I'm working from. Man, Luke Cage is as well.

Anyone have a reference they can point me to or another thread where this is discussed? TIA.

:ffvstr:

spydermann93

So each material gives you a set of resistances (and sometimes weaknesses) and the resistance and weakness attributes alter those values.

For example, Solid Skeleton will increase your character's Crushing resistance. For a Flesh character, your Crushing resistance would change to Resistant. If your character was Stone, that would raise them from Resistant to Highly Resistant. You cannot ever go below Defenseless nor go above Highly Resistant.

More often than not, a character's Material will not affect anything other than their weight and resistances. If you have FFX3 installed, there are some attributes that may only affect specific materials, like Magnetic affects Metal. But other than that, there isn't much interactivity with a character's Material.

drjudgebot

oktokels

To add to what Spidey has said so well, material types don't just affect resistances to damage from crushing, piercing, energy, etc.

1) They also affect weight: a stone character will not be thrown as far by a knockback attack as a flesh character.

2) Material types also affect the sound effects a character makes when falling or from its footsteps. A metal character will make a metallic sound when it hits the ground.

3) Material types are also affected by genetic damage.

It's one of the reasons why my Superman will always be flesh, instead of metal. I don't want him to make metallic noises, I don't want him to not cover an adequate distance when hit by a knockback and most of all, I don't want Magneto to do whatever he wants with him because he will be affected all the time by magnetic powers. After all,  Superman is NOT made of metal, he is made of flesh, a very dense and resistant flesh.

For this and other reasons, I will always try to use material types that correspond to the comics, although sometimes I have been inclined to use the rubber material for some characters like Blob, who is made of flesh in the comics, just because the rubber material suits him very well (sound fx included). And also because it makes sense to me that he may be vulnerable to fire and ice attacks.

To avoid using material types for character resistances, I use passive defenses and attributes.

Cheers !

drjudgebot

Thanks for that input as well. I love thinking and talking about this stuff. Always neat to have little insights into how others approach it.

spydermann93

oh yeah! Forgot about the sound fx when characters are hit, even though I hear it all the time.

And just an fyi on Genetic Damage, drjudgebot: it swaps the resistances and weaknesses of its target. Resistant becomes Vulnerable, Highly Resistant becomes Defenseless, and vice versa. It's not that Flesh characters have immunity to Genetic Damage, it's just that they have no inherent resistances or weaknesses. If you give them Solid Skeleton or Glass Bones, for example, they'll be affected just as anybody else.

For some cool and interesting takes on some Hero Files, take a look at Oktokel's Hero Files here: http://www.freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=60029.0

He does some clever things with his characters.

BentonGrey

Hey, speaking of this, I've been thinking recently about the weights and material types.  I never realized that the material types affect the relative values in FFEdit for weight.  Spyder recently told me that a character that is flesh and has 100 for weight will weigh less than a stone character with the same value.  Does anyone know what the formula is?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

spydermann93

I don't remember, but Concrete will weigh twice that of Flesh.

Just found that out very recently.

An easy way to find out is just change the material of a character and find the ratio to Flesh.

SickAlice

There's a PDF floating around. Too many years for me to remember who and where but I remember reading that and was toying around with my Pee-Man character with it at some point. But someone here did lay out the equations.

mac402

I believe with EZHero (the newest ver) you can set mass and material without worrying about the multiplier.

spydermann93

Yeah, that's true for custom heroes, but when they're built-in, the mass and material will affect the weight of a character.

Omegaprime

170\520 lbs for metal, 3.059/1. i was creating a conversion chart and stumbled on the knowledge of Taskmaster X. I was lucky enough to recieve copies of version 1.3,1.4 from spydermann93 and ocktokels yesterday. :D. You folks rock! :D