Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy Holidays!

Author Topic: copying flexible mesh parts  (Read 142 times)

Offline seraglio

copying flexible mesh parts
« on: July 25, 2019, 04:55:50 AM »
The old instructions for transfering mesh pieces in Nifskope always say to delete the NiSkininstance. This is to prevent the mesh pieces from "jumping" all over the place. That works fine on hard objects like a gun or sword. But for a skirt or collar, I've found you need that block, otherwise it becomes rigid.

Is there a way to transfer flexible pieces over? I've tried recreating NiSkininstances from scratch with no luck. I still have several "workarounds" I can try, copying the whole mesh over instead of a piece etc. I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this dilemma and has a direct solution.

Offline daglob

• Shape-Shifting Silly-Putty Android
  • Da Glob
Re: copying flexible mesh parts
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 03:18:05 PM »
Someone with more expertise may answer, but you can transfer flexible pieces to another mesh, but it works best if the two meshes are based on the same mesh. There are pants legs on some meshes that you can transfer to any other Male Basic mesh, and the skirts from a female mesh will probably transfer to another similar mesh. You transfer them to the Scene Root with the Niskininstance intact. This may or may not still move around in the wrong way, or there may be a bit of clipping from whatever is underneath. I have one I've been fiddling with that I put the original mesh in Blender and removed all the parts from the editable mesh that clipped, and have yet to find a satisfactory solution.

Offline detourne_me

• Manipulator of mental motion sickness
    • Force of Paradox!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 04:34:11 PM »
Any pieces that have a nifskininstance are weighted to specific nodes. When you delete that, they become static objects.
I've tried to add the niskininstance to pieces before in Nifskope, but that has never worked out. I always had to add bone weight to the pieces in Blender.

Ideally, the best way to make a skope would be to build it in Nifskope without any nifskininstances as a static model. Then you could open it in Blender, combine all of the pieces into one editable mesh, and then copy the boneweight from the original .nif file, so all of the pieces are weighted correctly. This also solves the problem of mesh pieces floating around wgen using projected shadows.

Offline seraglio

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »
Thanks guys. Looks like this is a fairly common scenario with no easy solution in nifskope. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't an easy solution I just didn't know. I'll try some other more compatible meshes. Thanks again!

Offline Cyber Burn

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 04:53:44 AM »
If you look at some of Grenadier's newer Meshes, they actually don't have the NiSkinInstance on a lot of the Mesh pieces. It may be worth checking out.