News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Brand new scope help, Take 4-11/17/19...

Started by daglob, August 28, 2019, 10:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

I'm trying to give Spacehawk a different raygun. I've given Captain Swastika a set of Lugers and an MP40, and it worked, but Spacehawk here sin't quite turning out.

As you can see, the gun hides like it's supposed to in the first picture, and in the middle pic you can see it where it belongs. It is pasted to the original raygun. However, when he fires it, I get the third pic; the gun never moves from the postilion I have in Nifscope. It's also too shiny, but I think I can fix that.

Any ideas?

daglob

FF1. I'm guessing the gun is FF1, because my first choice wasn't, and Nifscope told me. I have been having good luck converting scopes since I to the newer Nfiscope, so I've been doing all the scopes in FF1 first.

I may try using Blender to convert the Ffv3R guns to FF1.

Or... I know how to import an object file, but I don't know if it will appear and disappear with the appropriate animation if I do.

Cyber Burn

Blender can import the (.obj) File into an FF1 version without problem. Some files import easier than others though.

detourne_me

Could it possibly be because you are using a Tommyboy mesh? He animates guns differently than other meshers. From what I remember, his guns are all pasted on the scene root and weighted with a skin instance. For any of my skopes where I used a Tommyboy base, I had to copy the bone weights for each gun I wanted to change in Blender. Look at my MAA_Hit-Monkey skope for an example. I could never just replace the gun in a Tommyboy mesh.

daglob

Quote from: detourne_me on August 29, 2019, 04:27:36 AM
Could it possibly be because you are using a Tommyboy mesh? He animates guns differently than other meshers. From what I remember, his guns are all pasted on the scene root and weighted with a skin instance. For any of my skopes where I used a Tommyboy base, I had to copy the bone weights for each gun I wanted to change in Blender. Look at my MAA_Hit-Monkey skope for an example. I could never just replace the gun in a Tommyboy mesh.

That may be more than I want to do. Still, I can always use the old gun, and I'm not sending this to Alex until next month, or the next. I'll look at Hit Monkey.

Thanks!

Cyber Burn

I've actually never seen that happen before. I'm pretty curious now. Could you please send him my way, I would love to check it out (not that I really have the time or anything, but I'm just really curious).

daglob

Cyber Burn

Ok, I just took a quick look at it, and I think it should be a pretty quick fix.

daglob

Okay, y'all remember this:

Does anyone know how to make it do that deliberately?

daglob

Is there any way to make the mesh with a bump map read maps in secondary skins, or will it always read the "standard"?

SickAlice

What do you mean by secondary? Bumps are like any other texture property, be it Gloss and Glow they read the texture they have assigned to them.

daglob

They all seem to read the "standard" bump instead of the one in the folder for each skin.

SickAlice

Can you screenshot or is it one of mine you can point to? They should just have a texture assignment same as anything else. You should also be able to change that in Nifskope if you like.

SickAlice

Wait I get you now. You mean they are reading from the standard folder even when the texture is switched to another. I'm going out on a limb and saying you're looking at  :ff: and it's CTool? Bump maps weren't implicated into the first game engine thus is why. It doesn't have code to handle the maps. Same as stencil masks and a few other features. The first game can't use bumps is the bottom line, only  :ffvstr:.

daglob

Apparently, then, the first game can use bump maps, but, like several other things, only for the standard skin.

Thanks!

SickAlice

It's probably confusing it as another texture type is my thought. It wasn't part of nif, really weren't used in games at all at the time so wasn't in the engine. That's the reason I stick with  :ffvstr:. I see it as the .2 version of the engine and don't understand a reason to use the first game.

If you want to use the part without having to change it in nifskope just set the bump to all black (#000000).

daglob

I added a bump  map to Male Basic Effects to see if I could do it. It worked pretty well, then I edited the map a little to exaggerate some of the features. Next... I tried to add some other characters and make bump maps for them. The individual skins will show a bump map, but only if they are re-named "Standard". I was really just playing around.

SickAlice

It's a good thing. You tripped on a need to know thing about the first game and Nif. I'm still in the experiment phase with bumps honestly, okay I'm lazy with them half the time. But yeah I was just saying like if a person wants to use a model that has assigned bumps but not use the bump map just black them out with a texture. The lack of stencil mask is what slays me with the first game, can't stand that "blank white field" effect.

daglob

Does anyone know if there is a tutorial about adding textures to a mesh piece that is presently colored in the materials block?

SickAlice

Could you post a screenshot? Skope settings are something I'm pretty good at. I can probably run you through it in a few steps.

Edit: I checked out Nick, downloaded form the Irrational group and see what you mean. I can't even load that sucker in Blender. I had an idea speaking of and I know not every mesh is available but I know most of the standard characters were converted at some point to include effects and uploaded to a Yahoo group somewhere. The more I think of it those where the ones I loaded in Skope.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: daglob on November 18, 2019, 01:30:32 AM
Does anyone know if there is a tutorial about adding textures to a mesh piece that is presently colored in the materials block?

I'll second the request for a screenshot, or if you send me a copy of what you're working on, I'm kind of curious about this now.

SickAlice

I think I understand but maybe not but what he's saying is the Material settings are set to a color. First you would change the settings to match anything else in the nif. Second you have to get rid of special texture properties.

daglob

I added texture references to the Blain mesh, but when I tried to do it on this mesh it didn't work.

I am looking at both Acroyer Beta meshes. I don't know who did them, but I was trying to make a skin for them (the meshes are basically the same, just different wings that show only in the 'fly' animations). The wings are red, and the color is in the materials description.