Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy Holidays!

Author Topic: Crisis on Infinite Earths.  (Read 299 times)

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
Crisis on Infinite Earths.
« on: September 21, 2019, 01:32:01 AM »
So, for those who haven't been following the news on this... Ho boy this cast list. Beyond the usual Arrowverse suspects + Black Lightning:

-Tom Cavanagh (Harrison Wells/Eobard Thawne) as Pariah.
-Brandon Routh pulling double duty as Kingdom Come Superman as well as Ray Palmer.
-Kevin Conroy (!!!!!) as Bruce Wayne (an older one, rumored to be from a Batman Beyond world)
-Burt Ward as Someone (presumably Batman related)
-John Wesley Shipp once again returning as Earth 90s Barry Allen
-Tom Welling and Erica Durance reprising their roles as Clark Kent and Lois Lane from Smallville, with teases that we'll get to see some of what's happened since the show went off air.

This isn't even going into rumors that David Ramsey, the actor playing John Diggle will ALSO be doing double duty as Earth 90's Green Lantern.

I am so excited for this.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
  • May the Porg be with you.
Re: Crisis on Infinite Earths.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 10:13:09 PM »
Yes, I've been hearing about these. Shaping up to be quite the event. I've been saying it for years, but Arrowverse is truly DC's equivalent to the MCU. And with the finale to Arrow looming, there's a little bit of Avengers: Endgame parallels going on.

My fan speculation is that Pariah is going to be an alternate universe Wells who also happens to be Pariah. I'm not sure if I consider this a good thing or a bad thing, but I wouldn't be remotely surprised if they do that.

Speaking of Endgame comparisons...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:19:56 PM by Silver Shocker »
"I just love doing cameos!"
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline GhostMachine

• Flying through the sky, poking evil in the eye!
    • My Comic Art gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 11:07:03 PM »
I'm wondering if they'll get some actors that have been on Supergirl already, back in their old roles:

Helen Slater, Dean Cain, Terri Hatcher and Lynda Carter.

Tomato, it was already revealed that John Diggle is John Stewart, so wouldn't it be nice if he got a glowing green ring?

On The Flash front, Jay is supposed to be training a female Flash we haven't seen yet. Hopefully she shows up before Crisis. And since Jay looks like Henry Allen, how about giving us a Jay Garrick from another world played by Grant Gustin at some point?

Wonder if Brandon Routh will have blue contacts in again as Superman?

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 11:42:37 PM »
Speaking of Green Lantern, the creators have said that they would have liked to do GL in the Arrowverse, but opted not to because the special effects involved would be too difficult/expensive...which considering how sparingly Firestorm was utilized in Legends and how dodgy some of the special effects are during action scenes in Flash and Supergirl, (not to mention that the actual Green Lantern movie had less-than-well-received CGI) I can actually believe. It might also why the Ray did jack all in the Earth X crossover.

Having 90's tv show Flash say "Hey John, I didn't recognize you without your ring." is a lot easier to do than designing and producing a costume and doing the special effects ect (not saying that they're not actually going to do that), that's a little wink-wink-nudge-nudge to the fans.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 12:13:42 AM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 04:38:50 AM »
I do have to say this with respect to MCU comparisons: The MCU effectively changed the way Hollywood makes movies. Every so often we had characters go from one property to another, but it's generally been about a character, a cameo and not much regard to a singular coherent story. But to see characters from completely separate franchises all not just intermingle but also come together for a super franchise, well it obviously broke Hollywood records. We've never seen it before.

Now, of course TV is different and we've seen spinoff of spinoffs and spinoffs and characters show up on several shows(ie John Munch being on like a dozen different shows). But what the Arrowverse is doing isn't just spinoffs, but they're taking stories and characters from shows that it were not a spinoff of and making it part of their story. From across several decades and half a dozen other movies and shows. And this, like the MCU, is the kind of integration that comic fans have dreamed up when we actually started reading comments. We never thought this kind of stuff was possible. At least I did. I remember when Superman IV and Batman came out around the same time and desperately wanting to see them show up together. The MCU started what we want to see. What the Arrowverse is doing... that's next level entertainment!

I'm fully expecting others like Clancy Brown, Joe Morton, Stacey Haiduk, maybe an actor or two from the Titans... Maybe even Shaq.  :P :D

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 11:54:28 AM »
Oh I totally agree with you my man, that's why I've been saying for years that DC's Arrowverse is their equivalent to the MCU. They've been stumbling and struggling and experimenting elsewhere (the movies obviously, but also the streaming service shows and some of their animated stuff) but this they can be proud of forever. There was a quint time when I thought Smallville was the best we could ask for.

And then in season 1 and 2 of The Flash I thought Mark Hamill playing Totally-Not-The-Joker-In-Live-Action-But-Totally-The-Joker (aka Trickster) was the best it could get. But yeah, here we are. It's kinda bananas. I really, really hope Crisis doesn't turn out to be even a mild letdown, because the hype is just that real.

Anyways, Clancy Brown already made it in the Arrowverse. As General Eiling. And a mind controlled General Eiling doing the voice of Gorilla Grodd. Which was great.  ^_^

I'd love to say he should play Lex Luthor in live action, because he was always just perfect voicing the character, but honestly he just doesn't look the part. I know it's easy to say all you need for a live action Lex Luthor is a bald head but Clancey just doesn't have the right facial structure IMO.

Anyway, my fanboy wish is for Micheal Rosenbaum to play Lex Luthor again in this. Especially if he was to play the heroic "Alexander Luthor" version. And maybe have him square off against the over-the-top-cartoony supervillain that is Jon Cryer's Lex.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 12:06:54 PM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 04:03:52 PM »
So I'd already looked it up before the conversation, so unfortunately I'll spill the beans on Lynda Carter: While she was in Supergirl multiple times, Marc Guggenheim has stated that DC/WB put the kibosh on her showing up as Wonder Woman in CoIE. Given the fact that they're allowing more access to the dcu (Batwoman getting a show set in Gothem, for example) I suspect that it's part of the same weird tv rights issues that prevented Donna Troy from appearing in the original Teen Titans cartoon or Young Justice.

Though that ban got lifted for both (ttg has Wonder Girl and yj had Donna in season 3) so it could also be DC's weirdo "wah, we don't want to dilute the brand by having tv shows AND movies" hangup.

P.S. I knew about the John Diggle is Stewart thing, but he'd have to take his step father's name, which he hasn't yet done even after finding out about his father, and which reminds me of "Garrick was my mother's maiden name" in that he may not be John Stewart in earth 1, but you can easily foresee a reality where he took his step father's name.

Also, yeah, as SS pointed out, making E1 John a GL would mean all the special effects. I can see that for the crossover, but after? Ehhhh. With Arrow ending they could make him a GL after the crossover (merge him with his E90 counterpart or something) and have him show up SUPER sparingly after, but that's just invite "but what about HAL?!?" nonsense.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:20:24 PM by Tomato »

Offline daglob

• Shape-Shifting Silly-Putty Android
  • Da Glob
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 04:21:11 PM »
So I'd already looked it up before the conversation, so unfortunately I'll spill the beans on Lynda Carter: While she was in Supergirl multiple times, Marc Guggenheim has stated that DC/WB put the kibosh on her showing up as Wonder Woman in CoIE. Given the fact that they're allowing more access to the dcu (Batwoman getting a show set in Gothem, for example) I suspect that it's part of the same weird tv rights issues that prevented Donna Troy from appearing in the original Teen Titans cartoon or Young Justice.

Though that ban got lifted for both (ttg has Wonder Girl and yj had Donna in season 3) so it could also be DC's weirdo "wah, we don't want to dilute the brand by having tv shows AND movies" hangup.

:cry:

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 04:26:50 PM »
Yeah. I was hopeful too (we're getting a Batman and 3 Supermen, was hoping to see Wondy get some love) but yeah, exact quote:

I had conversations with DC and Warner Bros. and based on those conversations, I dont think its going to be able to happen, the Arrowverse producer stated.

Not a "not ever" especially with SG around, but yeah... It sounds like probably not.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 11:13:35 PM »
Micheal Rosenbaum says he won't be in Crisis. :(

So MR says DC calls him up and offers him a role in it, but didn't give sufficient details or enough money, but needed him to say yes right away for it to happen, and he wasn't willing to agree to it.

~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 09:28:59 PM »
Tbf, I don't think there was that ever gonna be that much effort put into asking. Rosenbaum had a pretty strict set of rules to agree to come back for the Smallville finale (a series he dedicated years to and had a big role in concluding), and I can't imagine he'd be any less strict coming back for CoIE.

Plus, with Jon Cryer's Lex being a big part of the crossover already, I doubt they would have had space for more than a cameo during one of the scenes set in Smallville's universe. I suspect they only asked at all because they knew fans would be asking about him, and to not even ask would look bad on them.

Now, admittedly, Tom Welling was also pretty famously done with acting after Smallville, but the producers also REALLY wanted him to show up... So they were far more willing to negotiate with him than Rosenbaum.

Offline GhostMachine

• My Comic Art gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 12:22:09 AM »
Was Welling done with acting, or just with playing Clark? Because after SMALLVILLE, he was on LUCIFER as Cain. (Yes, THAT Cain.)

I personally never watched SMALLVILLE that much. The entire time it was on, I watched at most 4 or 5 episodes.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 02:01:36 AM »
Was he? Huh. Admittedly I hadn't really been following his career too much (and Lucifer wouldn't be my cup of tea anyway) but my understanding at the time was that he wanted to get more behind the camera time in. Could be that he just wanted to get a break after 10 seasons of shooting Smallville.

(For the record, I DID slog my way through all 10 seasons. Every time I gave it up, I'd hear about something happening and binge up to that point then give it up again, only to have watched 8 seasons of it and hear it was ending)

Offline GhostMachine

• My Comic Art gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 04:42:14 AM »
We might be getting an ARROW spinoff, but...its not good news, in my opinion.

The spinoff is likely to be the Canaries, from last season's future segments. If that happens, I won't watch. The future segments were the worst part of last season. I'd much rather have a spinoff about Diggle or the remaining members of Team Arrow.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 12:44:26 PM »
^Pretty much that. I completely agree, I don't mind it as it related to the ending of the season (the whole thing being a "waiting to rejoin my beloved" is a bit cliche, but I enjoyed it) but it was barely tolerable even there.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:50:50 PM by Tomato »

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2019, 06:08:22 PM »
I did end up watching every season of Smaillville. It was a very hit-or-miss show, even back then, and a lot of the superhero stuff has aged badly by today's standards, Welling was pretty good in it and MR is was a great Lex (still the best one we've had in live action, IMO, though I loved Jon Cryer Lex for the three or so episodes he actually appeared in.

As for Arrow, yeah, I was pleased to hear of an Arrow spinoff, but rather disappointed to learn it's more of the future segments from Arrow. My least favorite part of that season.

Anyway, here's something much cooler: Brandon Routh as Superman!

I love it.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline GhostMachine

• My Comic Art gallery
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 06:16:55 PM »
A few things I've found out:

Routh will be doing double duty, because he will also be appearing as Ray Palmer.

The Huntress from the short lived Birds of Prey series will be showing up.

They're going to introduce Ryan Choi at some point. Don't know if that will be during Crisis or when Legends returns, but Ray and Nora are leaving, and Ryan did take over as the Atom in the comics...

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2019, 06:50:45 PM »
Ashley Scott? Neat.

Be great if Dina Meyer showed up as Oracle but WB might not let it happen (even though Huntress is in the upcoming Birds of Prey movie)  :huh:

Man, they just announcing more and more neat stuff. It's like they're showing off. I hope the excitement hasn't worn off by the time the storyline asking premieres.

Was sad to hear Routh was leaving Legends but now that I hear Choi's showing up it would work out if he's joining Legends. I wasn't a big fan of the past season of Legends so if he joins it that'd probably be cool.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 06:54:32 PM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Online catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 10:29:48 PM »
I did end up watching every season of Smaillville. It was a very hit-or-miss show, even back then, and a lot of the superhero stuff has aged badly by today's standards, Welling was pretty good in it and MR is was a great Lex (still the best one we've had in live action, IMO, though I loved Jon Cryer Lex for the three or so episodes he actually appeared in.

As for Arrow, yeah, I was pleased to hear of an Arrow spinoff, but rather disappointed to learn it's more of the future segments from Arrow. My least favorite part of that season.

Anyway, here's something much cooler: Brandon Routh as Superman!

I love it.

Trunks!  I've missed the trunks.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 10:46:09 PM »
Dude, that costume is amazing. It's everything Routh SHOULD have had during Returns... Amazing color choices, speak look, a logo that makes his chest look Superman sized... It's a great look.

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 06:11:04 AM »
Okay, I started watching the new seasons and I have a few questions.

So I stopped watching Black Lightning midway through last season. Honestly, the show is pretty well made and I can tell the showrunners knew how to make the show they wanted to make. Problem is I'm pretty confident they've never read a comic book before, least of all a Black Lightning comic. But I made it a point to watch it. As I did with Batwoman, which wasn't bad. It seems they're going to use a Supergirl-esque formula(which means, I'm confident Batman will show up at some point too). But her costume was noticeably different than it was from Elseworlds.

So I'm looking at these shows and kind of wondering how are they weaving these together. I know in previous crossovers it wasn't critical-critical to watch ALL the shows to know what's going on. But with so much going on in this crossover, will it just be Cress Williams or others from the cast? Will they explain the discrepancy in Batwoman's costume?

Maybe my mind is racing too much in anticipation.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2019, 11:56:28 PM »
So I can say for Batwoman. I'm pretty sure the start of Batwoman takes place before Elseworlds. We're seeing her origin, one of the cast members said in an interview that there will be flashbacks spread through the show, just like Arrow, and the various advertisements seem to indicate that Batwoman starts out with the all-black costume before adding the red wig, red Bat symbol, ect.

Not sure how that's going to sync up with the crossover, but it might depend on whether it's going to be an episode of "Batwoman" or an installment of "Crisis on Infinite Earths". Or both.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 01:13:08 AM »
More updates:

-Picture released of Burt Ward walking a dog (Apparently Ward funded a dog rescue and adoption agency in real life; didn't know that). Likely Ace The Bat Hound. The shirt Ward wears references the colors on Robin's costume (red, yellow, green and black)
-Audrey Marie Anderson as her comic counterpart, Harbinger.
-pictures of Tom Cavanaugh as Pariah (along with AMA as Harbinger)

And this last one warrants a spoiler warning...for Flash S6ep1:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

~Stan Lee, 1922-2018