Is it better to generate AIs before branding the characters or after?

Started by Jimaras8, January 01, 2020, 05:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimaras8

Which scenario creates a better ai? Generating one through the generator in the RR before the hero files is branded and added to the dat or after? I have been using the before method but i never really asked that question.

Also a follow-up to that, i have noticed that a few of my melee character pause between attacks for 3-4 seconds and that disrupts the flow of the fight since it's easy for me to cause additional damage. I have noticed that with characters like X-23 or Lady Deathstrike that i have added in-game. Conversely Benton's melee fighters like Sabretooth or Silver Samurai dont have that and provide a great challenge!

stumpy

I have not tested this. But, my guess is that branding should happen first.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

detourne_me

I prefer doing it after they are added to the .dat. then all the ai files are in one place and you can tweak them from there.

stumpy

I only meant that FFXEdit should probably be run before generating any custom AI. The reason is that the branding makes the characters easier to identify for the AI routines, as it assigns them a unique number. I don't know if that is strictly necessary, but it should avoid possible complications arising from the AI not connecting the right powers (particularly power swaps) to the right character.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Jimaras8

So i have figured out the issue. By far the best option is for the Ais to be generated AFTER the hero file has been added to dat. I have noticed that if you do it before characters that rely on melee attacks pause for ixexplicable seconds between attacks and it gives the opportunity to your character to land additional attacks. In addition, the special attacks dont work properly. I created a couple of martial artists with 300-percenter powerups and the ai never used them despite being in the top of their m25aidata.py file. When i deleted them and generated the ais after i added them all powers worked great.

I first noticed that because Benton's characters nhever had that issue and it was noticeable with my characters. So first add them to dat and THEN generate their ais otherwise the file will have some limitations.