News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Freedom Force 3 speculation

Started by AFoxOfFiction, February 19, 2020, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFoxOfFiction

I have mused on many occasions what Freedom Force 3 might entail, and I'm curious what your thoughts might be.

Here are a few I have offhand.

The main villain would be a Kang the Conqueror/Thanos analogue from the distant future, with heavy influences from both the Dune series...and Handsome Jack from Borderlands, the alternate future Microwave hails from might be the past of this alternate future.

The game would begin with the sacking of the Domain by this future conqueror of Alt!Earth, who's doing so to seize the Domain's Energy X reserves, though Lord Dominion and his forces are ultimately annihilated, his daughter (who has been somewhat enhanced with Energy X herself, is more attractive than you'd expect from the daughter of someone like him, and is basically a Gamora analogue) was able to escape with the rest of it. History proceeds to repeat itself as her ship is shot down over Earth and a mass dumping of Energy X occurs.

It would be set in the seventies and incorporate some or most of whatever plot elements originally had in mind for 'Days of Freedom Past'.

Lord Dominion's daughter (not named at present) would start the game as an anti-hero whose goals align with Freedom Force's, and gradually become an actual hero over the course of the game, originally she was supposed to take the Energy X to Earth, the only realm that might actually survive the Future Tyrant and then establish a new Domain.

The Future Tyrant's whole future would turn out to actually have came into existence as a result of Freedom Force itself (and Microwave being sent back in time to destroy them would actually have been because of a misguided resistance cell trying to remove them from the equation), but the mass dumping of Energy X is shown to be capable of giving Earth (and the universe) a chance to avoid the upcoming dystopia, and the Future Tyrant really wants to try and avoid this.

There'd be one or more villain team ups in the game.

It'd be shown there's more hero teams than just Freedom Force, including a Japanese super-team consisting of 60s/70s manga and anime characters...and an analogue of Jotaro Kujo from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (essentially the Japanese team's Tombstone).

I'd want DLC after the main game is released, mostly for other 'issues' and mini-campaigns.
Some DLC would feature crossovers with characters from other series, most likely webcomics, other games, whatever I can arrange them with.

Gameplay would be based on controlling one character at a time, Marvel Ultimate Alliance style, and in five character squads, but with AI controlling whichever character you're not playing at the moment, along with separate but accommodating modes for multiplayer games. Naturally this game would be designed as multiplayer friendly, especially in the campaign.

I would want to have built in tools for it designed to accommodate the modding community for Freedom Force, and make it quite friendly for them. Including a tool designed to work with microphones to record the voices of the player's so they can give their characters whatever distinctive voices they want, without much trouble.

Any thoughts?

SuperPoweredYank

Don't change the gameplay. You can't fix perfection.

SuperPoweredYank

Also I would think the cliffhanger from  :ffvstr: would come into the equation, The cosmic entity Energy X and the final fate of Alchemiss.

As for the plot structure, we know from the concept art (https://irrationalgames.ghoststorygames.com/insider/from-the-vault-freedom-force/) that FF3 likely would've been far more similar to the first game then the second, involving the FF fighting various individual villains ending with a final villain, who would likely be Energy X himself, as he almost seemed like he had been manipulating events from behind the scenes since the beginning. I think Energy X must've secretly given the Domain see of his power eons ago.

Also, I would hope versions of the WW2 heroes would appear in some form, whether it be via time travel, or in aged, present day forms. Maybe Black Jack and Tricolour got together?

As for gameplay, I think that the energy system from the first and second games should be combined. I'm thinking 6-8 energy cells, plus the return of the overcharge/undercharge mechanics. Obviously certain elements types from FFX, such as shapeshifting and the mimic damage type, pulling attacks, being able to use multiple damage types on a single attack, etc.

SickAlice

I digress to my usual, everyone here should just put together. I mean collectively this sites membership is a full game programming team and has a better angle than anyone on what is needed and where. I understand rights and such but either make the company that owns it a solid pitch or come up with something that isn't copyrighted. Above all else like Yank says the structure is fine sans a few bugs here and there to work out else the visual components just need be updated to something modern and HD.

BentonGrey

The trouble at this point is finding out who has the rights and the source code.  My efforts with the Irrational successor company have met with one polite blow off and then silence.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

SickAlice

Yeah I suppose that would be. I ran into that problem with Hungry Hungry Hippos. Short version is I designed a new gameboard over the past decade, finished the prototype and all. The snag was it turns out the rights to that game are tied up in a web of litigation to the point no one actually owns the full rights to it yet no one can make changes legally to the original design. Legal system sometimes seems to make life harder when it's supposed to freeing us up so we can get back to work imo.

BentonGrey

Ha, sometimes?  Often, I'd say.

That's crazy that Hungry Hungry Hippos is in that much legal limbo!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

SickAlice

Especially with medical stuff and personally that really needs to be addressed I say. Our health should come first, not a rate. In mine the VP of MB actually emailed me back which was pretty cool of them. May as well tell the story, I'll try and condense it here. They liked my idea and thought they should talk to me personally for the initiative I took in my pitch, it was a zombie variant on the Hippos game btw. What happened was a guy invented the game and patented it. MB got a hold of him to talk about publishing it. However they went ahead and made the game without contacting him further nor doing the paperwork. Meanwhile he believed they had passed him over so he made a deal with a rival company, legally. They produced the game as well and also didn't file the paperwork nor obtain the rights. Came time to distribute and everyone was confused so it tracks back to the inventor except he passes away. So how this ends up is MB has the rights to make the game and sell it but doesn't have the rights to the property nor franchise. Added they cannot change the original design parameters in any fashion. It has to have the Hippo's, so on and so forth. And in all likelihood will always be that way since no ones alive anymore to turn it over. Hence why they had to shoot down my pitch. So yeah pretty interesting really, sucks for MB of course since they're sitting on a pretty good franchise that they can't legally expand.

BentonGrey

God Bless

SickAlice

Indeed. They did encourage me to make another pitch for another idea but the fact is I just never had another good idea for a board game. Still and circling around to the topic at hand I can understand where their may be some legal red tape around making another game given how the rights were handed off. Yet I do stand by the idea that this very community is ideal for making a full game. It's a matter of knowing how to make the pitch which in short is done by presenting a completed product as opposed to the idea for in draft. Companies respect that. Also there's always the option of another engine. While FF and FFVTR may in be limbo Netimmerse itself is still open and being used for new games, Cuphead I believe was the most recent. Though I still advocate using something more modern and cumbersome like Unity.