Cant get Alexs Nif Converter to work???

Started by qwert_44702, November 13, 2019, 10:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwert_44702

Everytime i try to install it,it says to install net and i try to but net tells me i have a newer version and everything stops
is there anything i can do?

blazemere

Sorry I can't be more help, but I just ran into the same problem (I'm using Windows 10, so I can't install the exact version it's looking for).  I'll post back here if I manage to get it to work.

daglob

What I have run into is that the security settings stop the conversion. I  created a folder on the desktop called "Conversion Folder" (easy to remember what it does) and I copy what I want to convert to that folder. So far, it works. I also copy the converted folder to FFv3R so I don't have to go looking for the conversion folder each time. this does mean that i have to periodically erase a few folders, but it is no big deal.

The problem is that every WX update, something else quits working.

blazemere

As far as getting the tool to install I went an extreme route and installed a win xp virtual.  There I could install the correct version of .net and then the tool would install.  This is not an easy route, but it works.  If you know how you can copy the files back and they seem to work.  Haven't done extensive testing though.

Cyber Burn

There's actually another thing to consider when installing the Nif Converter and that is with Windows 10, a lot of files are "Read Only". Because of this, you need to change that status before you install the Nif Converter.

Usually, you can just right-click on the Irrational Games folder, open up properties and uncheck the "Read Only" box. There have been times where I have had to do this a few times though. Occasionally, I've also had to do this with the "Program Files (x86)" folder as well.

SickAlice

Same stuff they said. I click on whatever folder the target nif and/or keyframes in first. I change the Security values first to allow everything for everyone. Apply then go and click the Read Only box to No and Apply that. Also like daglob I use a separate folder, one that's not in any Program Files nor Windows directories. Those tend to have extra protection on them. In my case the folder is on my desktop.

daglob

you might also need to set up Nifconvert to run as an administrator. One reason I convert them in their own folder is I have "ownership" of that folder.

SickAlice

Ah. Windows updates making life more convenient for everyone as always.

SickAlice

Question especially for the people that made the jump to Windows 10 (my first week using it here), what's the right method and order for setting up the required .Net framework. I searched and came up with way too many different ways and users arguing about it without a clear answer. I would like to get an outline before trying it myself and ending up with a mess. Thanks.

abenavides

Try using the new Ezhero 4 which has nif convert capability built in - it doesn't use net framework.

(it doesn't do batch conversions yet, though, but for one offs it's faster than the old eznif)
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

SickAlice

Awesome, jeez am I out of the loop. I don't use batch anyways so that's all good. Trying to contain how happy I am not to have a big process, forgot what I tedious thing it is to start with a new clean hard drive and get everything built back how it used to be. Thankee.

abenavides

No worries, man! As the original guy who labeled things "EZ" for FF, I'm always trying to make it simpler to pick up FF. (mostly since I screw up my Windows setup all the time  :D)

And it just released a few days ago, so you're not too out of the loop :)

www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

Cyber Burn

In regard to the .Net framework, since I use it for PaintDotNet, it was actually one of the first thins I installed.

Quote from: SickAlice on May 27, 2020, 12:58:23 AM
Question especially for the people that made the jump to Windows 10 (my first week using it here), what's the right method and order for setting up the required .Net framework. I searched and came up with way too many different ways and users arguing about it without a clear answer. I would like to get an outline before trying it myself and ending up with a mess. Thanks.

When I re-installed on my Desktop, which is Windows 10, I actually followed the same process that I did for my Windows 8.1 Laptop. This is what I posted elsewhere for someone else (And yes, I am that OCD, that I do keep a list of such things):

Quote from: Cyber Burn on May 22, 2020, 12:12:13 AM
I'm running Windows 8.1 on my Laptop and just had to re-install everything.  So because I needed PaintDotNet for work, I went a little out of order, but everything seems to work so far. Mind you, this is for the Disk version of  :ffvstr:

FFv3R (Basic):

01) DotNetFx (.NET Framework Version 1.1.4322) *If Neeeded/May Have Compatibility Issues*
02) DotNetFx (.NET Framework Version 4.7.2.)   *If Neeeded/May Have Compatibility Issues*

Paint.net.4.2.10.install

03) Base game (Disk Version)
04) FFvt3R Mod Tools (Alex's Site)
05) Super Hero TV
06) FFX 3.3
07) PFX 1.2
08) EZFX 6.0 (This was before I downloaded EZFX 6.1)

09) EZ Nif_V2.0
10) nifskope-1.1.3.36ebfdd-windows
11) python-2.6.6
12) blender-2.49b-windows
13) PyFFI-2.1.11.cefd181.win32
14) blender_nif_scripts-2.5.9.77b0815-windows

Every other extraneous add-on is a matter of merging Dat Files correctly. For example, Goggles' Map Pack, if you use it, uses FFX 3.2, but will still need EZFX installed into it if it doesn't already exist on your computer. Let's keep in mind that FFX 3.0 auto-detects, and comes with, Dat Files that are pre-configured to included EZFX.

Now there are still some things that I need to add to the list that I use, such as XNALara_XPS, Frhed-1.6.0 (Hex Editor), and while I don't really use it because it has issues with broken Skopes, NPI_Conversion_pack (But I didn't always find out until later).

SickAlice

Don't need to explain it to me, I'm not diagnosed as OCD but I'm anally retentive enough to be mistaken for it and there's a list of everything and a copied reorganized list of the lists lol. And thanks, I use a ton of old programs, no doubt I will need to deal with the Dot.net thing at some point.