FFX 3.3 problem on GOG install: ffxedit2 not finding installation folder

Started by abenavides, May 28, 2020, 11:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abenavides

Today I went to run ffxedit2 as I've updated a bunch of things.
The "Install Dir" field is reading "C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich" (the folder used by CD version, I'm playing GOG version)
So of course, I now can't see any of the mod subfolders in the "Data Folder" list.

I must have messed up my install at some point fooling around with settings (I was able to use ffxedit2 this fine a couple weeks ago)

Anyone know how to fix? Is there an INI file or Registry setting somewhere?   FFXEDIT must be reading it from somewhere.

I even tried reinstalling FFv3R and ffx from scratch and still no luck.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

spydermann93

yeah, it happens all the dang time to me.

Here's what I do to fix it:

1) Uninstall FFX3.3

2) Click "Play" on FFvtTR (no mods!) and then exit the game

3) Install FFX3.3. Use the Browse button to find the FFvtTR directory

Works every time for me (I use GoG). I just have a copy of the ffx3 folder that I actually play out of so that I don't erase everything every time this happens.

abenavides

Thx for that , but it's still not working for me.
tried it a couple of times

I uninstalled ffx3, ran PLAY from GOG client , after FFv3R started, I exited and then installed FFX3.3 (selecting folder with Browse)
When I ran control centre, still get the wrong directory.

Second time I tried it , I did everything the same except I ran FFv3R from the shortcut and not the GOG client .

Getting late so I'll try again tomorrow, but not sure what else to try?

www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

spydermann93

hmm...

A few more things that you can check/try:

1. Do you have any other versions of :ffvstr: installed?

2. Have you tried just launching the game through the ffvt3r.exe file in your :ffvstr: directory? Maybe that will work?

3. You could try making sure that the ffx3 folder is deleted after installation, but I'm not sure that will matter.

Not sure why it works for me and not you. That's very strange.

abenavides

I tried those but still didn't work.
Just curious - did you install the GOG version from a local installer or just run the GOG client to install (I'm using the client)

I think I found a fix (kinda embarrassed as it's kinda obvious  :doh:)

I used a hex editor to check the EXE and the path I was getting is hard-coded in there. It seems to look for the path to use in registry entry: SOFTWARE\Irrational Games\FFVTTR and if it doesn't find it , default is what I was getting (I am assuming this as I am reading hex code and not source code, but it make sense)

For some reason, my gog version uses a different entry for the path. (Not sure how it ever worked now, unless GOG changed it recently which is possible)

Anyway, the easy fix is to hexedit the path in the EXE directly. I did this and it seems to be working now. I will add a few mods to make sure they show up (ffx3 did)
www.alexff.com

spydermann93

I used both in the past. I used to uninstall FFX3, uninstall :ffvstr:, restart my comp, install :ffvstr:, install FFX3, and then it would work, but I found that I didn't need to do the middle two.

Which hex editor do you use to fix the FFX3 issue? I would love to not have to reinstall and just have it point to the right place.

abenavides

I used HxD
https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Look for "irrational games"
you want the change the 3rd match you find
(the 1st one is for the hero files folder which you should leave as is, the second is for the registry key which can be ignored)

The 3rd one is:
C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich
which I changed to:
C:\GOG Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich

Don't forget to put in binary '00' for all bytes after that until you see the 'r' (don't change the 'r' or anything after it)

www.alexff.com

spydermann93

Awesome, it works!

This thread should probably be stickied since this issue comes up a lot.

abenavides

Good idea!
I may add it to my FAQ eventually too
www.alexff.com

spydermann93

That would be great, too

BentonGrey

Wow, I'm glad this hadn't happened to me yet, because I would have been completely lost, ha.  Yeah, this should definitely be stickied!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

stumpy

Stickied and topic title made slightly more specific.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg