News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Origin Subtitles

Started by BentonGrey, July 13, 2009, 10:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, a good friend of mine just took advantage of the Steam deal and picked FF up.  He's been enjoying it a lot, but he is a bit disappointed that the origin scenes don't have subtitles.  He is deaf, so, while the rest of the game is quite understandable to him, thanks to the dialog balloons, he feels like he's missing the origins of his team.  Apparently the option to turn on the subtitles for these doesn't work.  Does anyone know of a work-around?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Previsionary

There should be an option under the Sounds tab (options) that one can click to make captions appear at the bottom of the origin cutscenes. I know this is true for FFVTTR. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what else to suggest.
Disappear when you least expe--

BentonGrey

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 13, 2009, 10:18:17 PM
Howdy guys, a good friend of mine just took advantage of the Steam deal and picked FF up.  He's been enjoying it a lot, but he is a bit disappointed that the origin scenes don't have subtitles.  He is deaf, so, while the rest of the game is quite understandable to him, thanks to the dialog balloons, he feels like he's missing the origins of his team.  Apparently the option to turn on the subtitles for these doesn't work.  Does anyone know of a work-around?

Ohh Prev....and you accuse me of not paying attention.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Epimethee

The origin texts are located in data\lang\english\strings.txt. They're the lines starting with "ori_". Of course, unless your friend has already extracted the content of the *.ff archives, he'll have to open the lang.ff archive with a ZIP archive app.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

BentonGrey

Thanks Em, knowing the prefixes will let me put together a cheat sheet for him.  I scrolled through the strings file, but just couldn't find it amidst everything else.
God Bless

Previsionary

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 14, 2009, 03:26:46 AM
Quote from: BentonGrey on July 13, 2009, 10:18:17 PM
Howdy guys, a good friend of mine just took advantage of the Steam deal and picked FF up.  He's been enjoying it a lot, but he is a bit disappointed that the origin scenes don't have subtitles.  He is deaf, so, while the rest of the game is quite understandable to him, thanks to the dialog balloons, he feels like he's missing the origins of his team.  Apparently the option to turn on the subtitles for these doesn't work.  Does anyone know of a work-around?

Ohh Prev....and you accuse me of not paying attention.

You don't.

Quote from: Previsionary on July 14, 2009, 01:29:25 AM
There should be an option under the Sounds tab (options) that one can click to make captions appear at the bottom of the origin cutscenes. I know this is true for FFVTTR. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what else to suggest.

We'll have to work on that later. Though, there's no obvious reason why that shouldn't work unless all the origin lang entries are missing, renamed, or something else. Also, keep in mind that they're two options in the sounds tabs for captions, so suggesting the obvious... dork.
Disappear when you least expe--

AranhaRush

Has anyone already found a solution to this? i tried to work it out myself but i don't know how, still, i managed to find the origin lines in the strings file.
shouldn't they also be on the captions file?