Which version of Blender are people using?

Started by WyldFyre, July 05, 2020, 10:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyldFyre

Are any of the updates after Ewzzy's tutorial useful? Are there updated niftools for it?
I have used the tutorial by Ewzzy to change things in the past. And just used that version of Blender to make an FF compatible version of Bobby69's Blizzard over top of Iceman69.
Just wondering if any of the newer versions are useful.
For Freedom!

SickAlice

Curious myself, just got a new laptop up and running and using the old 2.49b but I know newer versions of Blender have much better options to play with like the hair generator and what not.

Cyber Burn

Since I don't really use it for much, I still use the old 2.4whatever it was that Ewzzy had suggested.

SickAlice

Actually if it's any help I would say check this around the Skyrim/Elder Scrolls forums. They tend to be using more current stuff though. Though note in export Freedom Force is fairly specific to it's game engine thus newer techniques might not be applicable, like the game engine does not actually use certain features of Netimmerse or see the difference between features the first and second game can and can't use, Stencil Masks or an example that are only used by the second game engine.

WyldFyre

I was just curious. The old 2.49b still works. Just didn't know if anyone was using an updated version.
For Freedom!

SickAlice

Well I'm reading and I guess one can install multiple versions of Blender without them conflicting, not sure if I actually believe that's 100% true though or more that it is on Windows end but if it's anything if that holds it would be that easy to just test it then. Like I said I'm curious so eventually I'll have to try it though I have a full plate right now as well playing it pretty strict when it comes to installs on the new laptop.

WyldFyre

I did try adding some of the later Blender downloads, but lost the ability to import/export nif files. I found upgraded nif import/exporters, but they didn't work correctly. So I went back to the originals.
For Freedom!

daglob

Quote from: WyldFyre on July 11, 2020, 05:48:03 PM
I did try adding some of the later Blender downloads, but lost the ability to import/export nif files. I found upgraded nif import/exporters, but they didn't work correctly. So I went back to the originals.

:thumbup:

SickAlice

Kind of what the tester said, the first person who was working on Niflib I think. Something about later versions being usable for making things from scratch but not for importing/exporting and modifying existing stuff.

windblown

Quote from: SickAlice on July 11, 2020, 10:30:15 AM
Well I'm reading and I guess one can install multiple versions of Blender without them conflicting, not sure if I actually believe that's 100% true though or more that it is on Windows end but if it's anything if that holds it would be that easy to just test it then. Like I said I'm curious so eventually I'll have to try it though I have a full plate right now as well playing it pretty strict when it comes to installs on the new laptop.

Yes, you can install both. The last version can't export to .nif, but it's useful to sculpt/edit other files and then you can export them to .obj and use them with the one that Ewzzy suggested.

SickAlice

Ah okay. Wouldn't be useful to me, I use programs outside Blender for sculpting as well texturing but maybe to anyone else. My curiosity is always something that offers a little more in the way of direct animation editing and doesn't strangle my OS like a vine in the way 3ds Max does. Sucks really, Max would be a top notch program if not for how it just adds so much other stuff and bogs down Windows really.

Cyber Burn

I was just reading something yesterday comparing open source programs to the likes of 3DS Max, Photoshop, and a few others.  I'll definitely have to try and find it again.

SickAlice

Imo and I've been involved on the Hollywood side a little here as well but Max is over-rated. It has nice features, I won't denote it there but it isn't leagues above everything. Mostly it just became an industry standard along with it's file format and about when Lightwave the previous standard was becoming problematic. That's the reason for it's accolades as far as I can see as well it's silly price tag. There isn't much I can't find another program for free somewhere and do the same as a I can with Max. Clay scultping programs additionally are ahead of Max in a big way and while tend to be pricey, like ZBrush, are still much cheaper and again provide more options for creativity. And there's always student discount or coverage when it comes to that price tag, or some other loopholes. That's how ended up with a version of Max anyways and likewise got Lightwave in it's top dog days. I digress, paysoft isn't necessarily the winners circle option and generally as promoted due to status and the shackles it brings in. Also there's a general trend where when a company becomes big based on niche it tends to be heading towards an inevitable fall, what goes up must come down and such hence the investment often isn't so much as an investment in reality. Meanwhile I've seen most freeware stand the test of time and remain 5 star rated.