Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy 15th Birthday, Freedom Force!

Author Topic: The Marvel Thread  (Read 101582 times)

Offline Previsionary

• Mr. "Girl, please..."
  • Undead Slayer
The Marvel Thread
« on: December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM »
Consider this a spin-off of the X-thread courtesy of Murs.

Tis close to Christmas so Happy Holidays to all of you. New forum, new thread, and I guess, according to murs, we could condense this into a general Marvel thread. If you don’t agree, let me know and blame Murs. :P. It’s not a heavy X-week and I wasn’t planning to review anything else until next year, but there’s only one main universe X-book and I think I can take it. So, let’s jump in and start this off.

Wolverine Origins #31:

For the last few issues, the book has been in a minor crossover with X-men: Legacy to help flesh out Daken and Wolverine’s history, to alleviate Xavier of his retconned guilt, and to expand on Ms. Sinister and her new partnership with Shaw. As I said in the original X-thread, it’s a perfectly good read and since the trades come out in January, I urge you to check it out even if you don’t like Daniel Way, Legacy, Daken, or Wolverine. It’s a solid read and you don’t need to know anything about Daken, Wolverine: Origins, or Legacy to read it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was a very quick read. It was ok, but I feel a little let down after Original Sin. I’m not sure why exactly, but I think it’s because of the dynamic between Logan and Daken. It’s just a bit weird for me. It’s a 2.5-3 worthy book for me. I am glad to see that Daken isn’t completely smitten with Wolverine and that there’s some obvious tension. Other than that, I got nothing much to say about the book.

Ultimatum #2:

Last issue, a flood broke out and took out most of New York and other parts of the world. People died, latveria froze, and angst was at an all time high. In UFF, Reed attacked Namor and took off to find help and Ben joined up with the mole man. In UXM, Rogue rejoined Vindicator and went out to get her own revenge as the original class of X-men headed off to kill Magneto. In Spider-man…well…that tie in begins today and I haven’t read it, but we now know how Gwen got back.

Um…this book played to a lot of twists and shocks. Some were disturbing and some things didn’t really make sense. For example, in UXM and Ultimatum #1, there were several X-men left at the mansion, this issue they’re nowhere around. I suppose that’ll make sense in the next UXM issue since some religious zealots did attack the school, but Xavier seemed too nonchalant about it. I don’t know, it’s like I said before…all the different tones is making it hard to judge this event. This issue was ok…but without all the twists and all the plot jumping around, you’d easily realize that not a lot progressed and that Loeb just glossed over explaining some stuff he should have…and I’m sorry, but that Jan scene was disturbing. 2.5 out of 5. The art was very nice for the most part, so those extra points are for Finch’s work. Oh, Death Count this issue...3

And there ya go...let the reviews pour in if you got anything.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 11:22:40 PM by Previsionary »
My natural response to ugliness is to throw a vase, in the hopes that whatever it strikes is marred with its beauty.

Offline AfghanAnt

• The Once and Future
  • Incandescent Interstellar Insectoid
    • Freedom Force Universe
Re: The Marvel Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 02:11:32 AM »
I thought Ultimatum was utter trash and I really want my 3.99 back. I  mean oh my god was it bad. The deaths were stupid. I am really hating actual God of Thunder, Thor (why couldn't he stay just a crazy guy with a hammer). And the deaths, my God what a cheap way to shock the reader especially the whole people getting eaten.

Offline Previsionary

• Mr. "Girl, please..."
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 02:51:48 AM »
I thought Ultimatum was utter trash and I really want my 3.99 back. I  mean oh my god was it bad. The deaths were stupid. I am really hating actual God of Thunder, Thor (why couldn't he stay just a crazy guy with a hammer). And the deaths, my God what a cheap way to shock the reader especially the whole people getting eaten.

This...I agree with. I still think it's "2" worthy as there's some entertainment value in it if you don't think about it at all and the art was pretty good, but other than the shock value...it has nothing going for it. I mean, Magneto got a major power boost to do what he did, Spider-man's appearance amounted to nothing, and if Maggie could do what he did at the end of the issue so easily, then why did he have so much trouble with the X-men in the first place? Not to mention Reed's deadset mindset that Namor tried to hurt Susan...a lot of it just didn't add up.
===============

New Avengers #48:

Look, I’m branching out…and the book includes Wolverine so it still has ties to the old X-thread requirement. Hey, hey, hey. Fresh off the heels of Secret Invasion, the book finally returns to being a team book and not a partial backstory fill out. The team is BACK in action and this book is said to touch on quite a few open danglers that SI #8 should’ve touched on, but left open. It’s no secret that I don’t think highly of SI, but maybe Bendis can make me like him again as I do think he works better on a smaller scale where his decisions don’t change the course of the entire [Marvel] universe.

I was actually impressed by the book. It touched on a lot of things and revealed that people still remember Norman as the GG…but it doesn’t explain why they would put him in a governmental position so easily and quickly. Several of the Avengers get a story push, and oddly, Logan seems to be shown as a leader more and more these days. My only problem is that I don’t recall Bucky doing much at all…in fact, I don’t remember Spidey doing all that much either. Also of note, a certain comment Spidey made about Bucky seemed a little off to me, but I’m probably over thinking it. 3.5 out of 5.
My natural response to ugliness is to throw a vase, in the hopes that whatever it strikes is marred with its beauty.

Offline AfghanAnt

• The Once and Future
    • Freedom Force Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 03:26:10 AM »
This...I agree with. I still think it's "2" worthy as there's some entertainment value in it if you don't think about it at all and the art was pretty good, but other than the shock value...it has nothing going for it. I mean, Magneto got a major power boost to do what he did, Spider-man's appearance amounted to nothing, and if Maggie could do what he did at the end of the issue so easily, then why did he have so much trouble with the X-men in the first place? Not to mention Reed's deadset mindset that Namor tried to hurt Susan...a lot of it just didn't add up.

I thought the power boost was because of Thor's hammer?

I agree with you on New Avengers. I liked the previous two teams but this team works well and finding the baby works really well for me. The ending actually had me sort of shocked.

Offline Previsionary

• Mr. "Girl, please..."
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 03:42:50 AM »
I believe it is, but it's still a pretty major one, imo. I'd think a major rise in power like that with no practice or build up would be more hazardous than, "get what you want on the first try!". That hammer deal is another issue for me as I don't know why it'd provide him with said power boost. A lot of details surrounding it escape me, but I don't think Magneto would be deemed worthy to control or even manipulate that hammer. So...it raises more questions for me and I hope it's actually explained in the book and not months down the line.

Offline AfghanAnt

• The Once and Future
    • Freedom Force Universe
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 04:39:04 AM »
I believe it is, but it's still a pretty major one, imo. I'd think a major rise in power like that with no practice or build up would be more hazardous than, "get what you want on the first try!". That hammer deal is another issue for me as I don't know why it'd provide him with said power boost. A lot of details surrounding it escape me, but I don't think Magneto would be deemed worthy to control or even manipulate that hammer. So...it raises more questions for me and I hope it's actually explained in the book and not months down the line.

I didn't think there was the worthiness spell on this hammer. Also what happened to Thor? His hammer and costume changes and we are told why? Was his awesome costume before just illusion? There are so many plot holes in this universe lately.

Offline murs47

• DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 06:02:41 AM »
Ultimatum makes Rulk look good. There, I said.

Offline herodad1

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 04:23:27 PM »
this is why i dont collect comics anymore.i do buy the new thor books but thats it.the powers at marvel have destroyed the spirit of the marvel universe.i guess all the stories in the last couple years have been shots in the dark and drawing straws.writers are running out of GOOD ideas.

Offline Previsionary

• Mr. "Girl, please..."
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 07:07:15 PM »
I didn't think there was the worthiness spell on this hammer. Also what happened to Thor? His hammer and costume changes and we are told why? Was his awesome costume before just illusion? There are so many plot holes in this universe lately.

*shrugs* I expect plot holes and tons of errors from Loeb, so THAT'S not surprising. I mean, he did retcon the savage lands to tie it into Wanda's powers for no particular reason at all. As for the hammer, that's my point. Nothing about it has really been explained and nothing about Magneto and his plan has been built up to. I just hope it's all laid out somewhere "soonish" because if anyone can wield Thor's hammer that happens to be able to control magnetism (like Maggie and Lorna) or happens to be a "god"/"asgardian" (Valkyrie?), then it should be told before this event ends and not after in an annual. In fact, what Magneto did and how he did it so effectively and effortlessly should be shown either in UXM or Ultimatum before the finale of this "event", imo.
===========

this is why i dont collect comics anymore.i do buy the new thor books but thats it.the powers at marvel have destroyed the spirit of the marvel universe.i guess all the stories in the last couple years have been shots in the dark and drawing straws.writers are running out of GOOD ideas.

Appreciate your contribution to the thread, but I really want to avoid this becoming a bashing thread. Especially when you're critiquing the whole universe when GOOD stories are right within reach if you go looking for them and try something new. It's horrible, imo, that so many people bash the entire universe and its collective writers when there are awesome writers out there releasing great stuff but aren't getting noticed. Since I'm very partial to writing and they get the harder time and the sullied reputations, I'm just gonna stick up for them in this instance and say, "No, not all the writers have run out of great ideas, some people just blindly accuse the whole line of being worthless because they haven't experienced the writers or stories yet." Now, if it doesn't APPEAL to you, that's a different complaint and doesn't mean you throw down the whole line with the exclusion of what you read and liked. That's my opinion, of course. Feel free to disagree and such. ^^
===========

She-Hulk #36:

It really bothers me that this book is being canceled as I have been enjoying the ride. She-hulk isn’t like most female heroes and it’s sad that Marvel doesn’t have a lot of female solo/team books. At least DC has two or so female oriented books that aren’t lovey dovey, Marvel doesn’t now that Spider-girl and She-hulk are being canceled again. Anyway, for the last few issues, She-hulk and the Lady liberators have joined up to help a bunch of people in Marinmer who need aid but aren’t receiving it. The basic thinking is that if the women heroes do it, the government and higher profiled male heroes will also be shamed into being more helpful. Does it work out the way Shulkie planned? Are you serious…this is Jennifer Walters, of COURSE not!

I skipped a few good tibits in my review because I didn’t really feel like writing, but I have a quota to meet, holiday or not, darn it! It’s a good read and some interesting stuff went on, but a certain segment bothered me which I’ll detail below as an afterword or some such. Some interesting developments took place within the book between Sue and Jenn and Jenn having to struggle with morality is good stuff. The other Liberators did very little and Thundra, after a few big appearances in the other issues, didn’t even share a word this issue. In fact, I don’t remember seeing her at all outside of the cover and summary page…well, at least she was in Red Hulk…*explodes*. This book is a 3 for me. I gotta say that I liked the ending a lot. The way they dealt with the Pres. was pretty unique.
===========

AFTERWORD:

And that’s it…discuss? Disagree? Agree? No opinion? Ok then.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:28:28 AM by Previsionary »

Offline Talavar

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 11:18:10 PM »
Thor 12:  So it's confirmed:

Offline Podmark

• >tt<
    • Hero Force
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 06:07:28 AM »
I like that we've made this a general Marvel thread. Seems like a good move. I read Nova this week, but Christmas has obliterated the details. It was pretty good though.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline murs47

• DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 12:49:34 AM »
I read New Avengers, finally. :blink: It was a good issue, the ending was great. And I agree, the direction it's going in is promising.

What else did I finally read...I'll get back to that later. :unsure:

Offline thanoson

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 08:26:57 PM »
Latest She Hulk.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

Offline Previsionary

• Mr. "Girl, please..."
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 12:49:35 AM »
Latest She Hulk.

That happened in Hulk, not Shehulk. Also, you're talking about Loeb...continuity isn't his strong point as of late. *points to Ultimatum, Ultimates V3, and Heroes*

Offline thanoson

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 02:08:11 AM »
Oops. You're right. Still, it was the last issue.

Offline Podmark

• >tt<
    • Hero Force
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 05:28:39 AM »
I read some X-books this week:

X-Force 10:

I give this issue a solid 4/5 of the prev-o-meter.

I also read Young X-Men #9
I'll give this issue a 2.5/3 on the prev-o-meter. I did enjoy it, and the art is decent but it certainly has it's problems.

Also I think Cipher is:

Also of note Young X-Men is apparently cancelled as of issue 12. This has been reported to be in the print version of Marvel previews but has yet to be confirmed.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline Previsionary

• Mr. "Girl, please..."
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 05:37:21 AM »
thanks for reviews, Pod. No reviews from me as I won't get anything until tomorrow if even then. :P

From the sounds of it, I made a good decision to not read anymore Young X-men. Ink sounds like a vulcan to me...too much power, way too fast.

In other news...wasnt Mutant zero revealed this week?

Offline Podmark

• >tt<
    • Hero Force
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 05:50:45 AM »
In other news...wasnt Mutant zero revealed this week?

Yes. I haven't read the issue yet but hopefully will tomorrow, there was a mix up at the shop.
I pretty much knew who M0 was already and went ahead and spoiled that part of the issue to myself already.
She is:
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline Previsionary

• Mr. "Girl, please..."
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 04:09:09 AM »
X-men: Worlds Apart #3:

Doing some quick reviews as it’s what I do. Last issue, Storm and Nehzno escaped into the wilderness and had to fight for their lives. Meanwhile, Cyclops was en route to kill his lover, Emma Frost, thanks to some mental suggestions by Shadow King. Will Storm and Nehzno finally restore the King to his rightful mind? Will Cyclops survive being blasted out of the sky by a thunderbolt? Let’s find out!

Love it. I think I liked the Cyclops part more than the Storm part, but only because Cyclops wasn’t his typical self and actually addressing things no other book is at the moment. I can’t wait for the finale and it’s sad that it’s so close now as I doubt Storm and Nehzno will get this type of attention for quite some time. I love that Yost remembered some old details about Storm such as her keeping locks in her hair. After rereading the Phoenix saga recently, it was just nice to see it referenced in some capacity. But yeah, quite a few good scenes this issue and I highly recommend it. 3.5 out of 5.

Incredible Hercules #124:

I don’t know if I’ve said it here, but Hercules has become one of my favorite heroes of late and I always look forward to his book. For the past few issues, Cho has been trapped and trying to find a way out of his predicament and Hercules has been forced to work alongside Namor and his lovely cousin.

Action heavy issue. I enjoyed it. Namora and her wish kind of disturbed me, but I found almost everything in this issue enjoyable and I can’t wait for the next issue. There’s a certain Atlas scene that literally made me laugh out loud. Not many books make me do that. The only thing I would complain about is the opening pages as I don’t think I understood the relevance of them. That’s probably my fault for forgetting something, but it’s still a good book. So good, that it’s a 4 out of 5.

Magneto: Testament #4

This book sits firmly at a 3/average for me, so I’m hoping it can really push its way to greatness in the final two issues. As you should know by now, this book aims to flesh out and give a concrete look at Magneto’s past. Last issue, Magneto began to show his first sign of having powers just after his family was shot down around him.

Very interesting read that’s full of some powerful scenes, I think. Magneto having to witness so much at his young age and seeing the people that tried to help and protect him get taken away from him is a pretty powerful motivator for his later actions as a super villain. I really do think this book would be a much better read in trade form than in its monthly…well…whenever it’s released form, but this issue was fairly good. Will Murs like it…that’s the question. I give it a 3.2.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:33:04 AM by Previsionary »

Offline murs47

• DeviantArt
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 03:02:16 AM »
Will Murs like it…that’s the question. I give it a 3.2.

So that's the question is it? :lol:

Very interesting read that’s full of some powerful scenes, I think.

Absolutely. That pretty much sums up the issue without giving any details. I'm not sure what score to give it exactly but at least a four, if not a near 5.

Offline Zippo

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 06:59:35 AM »
As far as X-force goes, I actually quite enjoyed Warpath's little excursion. The inclusion of Ghost rider was just great. From what I hear Marvel is trying to include X-men more into the rest of the universe, and I really appreciate little things like this.
This book remains one of my most anticipated each month.

Offline thanoson

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 09:22:35 AM »
Old Man Logan- Wow! So now we know why he won't pop the claws. I wasn't expecting that in the least.

Ultimate Hulk- So Power Princess is more powerful than Hulk? Who would have thunk? I liked this story. It was very fun.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:27:49 AM by thanoson »

Offline NeoDarke

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 09:26:05 AM »
Old Man Logan- Wow! So now we know why he won't pop the claws. I wasn't expecting that in the least.

Wow, that's a neat trick, when you take into account how powerful Wolverine's senses are.
I didn't do it!

What didn't I do?

Offline Previsionary

• Mr. "Girl, please..."
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 01:47:14 AM »
Cable #10:

This book is the epitome of slow in my eyes. This book has had 11 issues?over 260 pages to tell a story and we?re not very far into the story and we?ve learn very little about Cable, the girl, or his wife. It?s a struggle staying interested in this book as it?s so completely average. I hope the crossover provides the spark it needs because it?ll be a sad day if yet another Cable book gets canceled so soon. Anyway, last issue, Bishop tricked the X-men and took them out while X-force was miles away. In the future, Cable and his family were fighting bugs before escaping the city.

The book is sped up minimally and I didn?t care about a lot in the book. It?s just all there for me right now. This arc was mostly used to set up Bishop?s plan, limit Cable?s moving area, to name the little girl, and to set up the crossover. It took too many issues to get all that set up especially when most of it came in this issue. Talk about padding. 2 out of 5.

Offline Podmark

• >tt<
    • Hero Force
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 04:36:39 AM »
The girl FINALLY got a name? YAY!
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline Previsionary

• Mr. "Girl, please..."
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 07:24:22 PM »
Indeed, she did. It'll probably be changed again in Messiah War. :P
=========

X-men Noir #2:

Last issue, Jean Grey was killed and Peter learned that his father wasn?t so honorable. Meanwhile, the original Angel tried to meet up with the X-men and it all went to hell.

This is yet another good read. It?s full of X-men references, but no one in the story is a mutant. You see, they all get their nicknames through abilities that link them to their original incarnations. Let?s take, for example, Rogue. They brought a whole new meaning to her ability to absorb powers and personalities. In this universe, she?s basically a chameleon. She can fit in anywhere just by ?absorbing? the traits around her and using them to fit in with her crowd. It?s a very interesting idea. Of course, the Magnus/Xavier relationship shows up in this book and even the Wanda/Peter relationship gets touched on. This issue is slightly better than issue 1, but the art was a bit rougher. Xavier looked weird to me and he was mostly hidden in shadows. In fact, he didn?t look like he did in issue 1, iirc. It?s a very good read and if you don?t plan on buying it monthly, at least consider the trades. I say this early, but I have faith in the book at this point. If it falters near the end, you?ll surely know from me. Oh, the backup "script" focuses on Nimrod, sentinels, and Rachel. It's an ok read and brings in quite a few more characters such as the morlocks and Bastion. It?s a 3.5 out of 5. It loses points for the art.

Offline herodad1

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 11:28:22 PM »
dont read any of these books but interested in power princ. thing about being stronger than hulk? no one stronger than hulk!!!RRrrr!!!  :angry:

Offline Previsionary

• Mr. "Girl, please..."
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 07:33:08 PM »
Amazing Spider-man: Fear Itself:

I?m not sure what brought this about, but I?ve learned a long time ago not to question crossovers especially when it?s between a mostly unused character and a popular one. I?d have more of an opening, but I just don?t have much to say about a Spider-man/Man-thing crossover. Oh, this book takes place in the BND Spider-man verse though it does reference back to a very young Pete.

I left out some parts, but that small paragraph behind the spoiler tag IS the whole story. While I was reading this story, I wondered why this was needed?why was it made. Not only did Pete basically talk about Aunt May the whole issue and how he couldn?t bear to lose her (because these are things any Spidey reader knows), but Man-Thing was just one giant plot device the whole way through. Peter TOLD pretty much every plot development in this story and we didn?t get to SEE any of it really happen. Everything just seemed rush except Peter constantly going on about his Aunt May. I didn?t like the art much either, but it gave it a pretty good feel. Just not my cup of tea. I?m rating this a 1.5. You need to be really hardcore for one of the characters involved to even want to own it. I dunno if I?m the only one that thinks this but, what?s the point of having Doc Connors in the story trying to figure out something?if he figures out the problem and solution all in three pages flat? If this were a mini-series, it may have worked, but as a one-shot?no go.

Invincible Ironman #9:

Things have really begun to change for Tony Stark. His closest friends don?t all exactly trust him, he?s been replaced by Norman Osbourne, and he?s basically about to wage war with Norman because of the information he contains. Should be very interesting even if you don?t like the direction MOST writers wrote Tony in?because that?s ultimately the problem with his character. More writers (JMS) wrote him in a completely negative light than those that made him likable but with another point of view?one of many problems of Civil War. But that?s not the point of this issue. Last time, Tony was removed from power as head of SHIELD and Norman was ushered in. Tony may have been humiliated, but he made sure to get the last laugh by downloading all the registered heroes information into his head.

This is really just a set up book. It?s putting everything into place for future storylines. If Dark Reign continues to be set up like this, I might actually have a better hope in it succeeding  Fraction?s run on this book has been pretty good?you could say exceptional. If you haven?t liked Ironman since Civila War, this is a good time to pick up this book and test out this version. He?s not the jerk some writers made him out to be and he actually has a soul again. I like the Maria Hill fight scenes and it?s nice to see how far Tony will go to protect his fellow super heroes and friends even if they don?t know anything about his sacrifices. It?s a good read and I enjoyed it a lot. This?from a person that doesn?t really like Ironman in general. 3.5 out of 5.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:09:31 PM by Previsionary »

Offline Previsionary

• Mr. "Girl, please..."
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 02:17:08 AM »
Hopefully someone other than me reviews this week. :P

Captain Britain and the MI13 #9:

New thread, another opening to push Captain Britain into all of your lives. This has quickly become one of my favorite books probably just behind Incredible Hercules. It?s a very good book that does the Capt right. If you want to see him and his team in some nice adventures without referring much to Claremont?s?run, then this is for you. Over the last few issues, Plotka has been creating ?mindless ones? by trapping people in dream voids. The MI13 catch on to this and try to stop him only to be betrayed by an old friend. Meanwhile, Capt realizes he may not be with the real Meggan and his crazy brother might actually be there to help him.

This wasn?t as big of an ending that I was anticipating, but it was still pretty good overall. I LOVE that a certain character is coming back after she was sent off into limbo almost three-four years ago. I also think I might like this current line up a bit more once Cornell really starts to work on their dynamic. Unfortunately, Blade, Spitfire, Dane, and Faiza barely did anything and some parts felt a bit rushed or something. It?s a 3 for me. Still a good read, but let me down a bit.

X-Infernus #2:

Well, I?m straining to remember what really happened last issue and truth be told, I don?t REALLY remember anything of importance happening. Most of issue 1 was online on myspace, so I guess I should have went over there to look at it or grabbed the book from my shelf or something, but I?m kinda lazy sometimes. ^^. Last time, Magik found the location of her soul sword and went to get it. That?s the important information. Moving on.

So um?I want to like this book more, but it?s such an incredibly quick read with not a lot happening in it. I guess I just want more substance and not just a bunch of fight scenes. It?s adequate and it?s nice to see Colossus doing something other than mope about like he is in Uncanny. Not to mention that NC actually gets to lead a team again and some New X-men are included, but I just didn?t enjoy this as much as I probably should. I?m also a bit mixed on some characterizations, but it wasn?t a big enough deal for me to deduct any more points. 2.5 out of 5.

CW: HoM #5:

This has been a fairly good series, but nothing has been uber amazing as of yet. This is the final issue and I hope it ends on an incredible high note. I doubt it will, but I?m hoping for a big, amazing finale that?ll make the series a must read. Last issue, Magneto watched as Xavier passed away thanks to a co-ordinated attack by Bucky and his team and Wanda began showing signs of her uber hexing magic.

4! This book finally hit home with me. I enjoyed quite a few scenes and I loved the small character moments between Lorna and Magneto, QS and Magneto, and even Wanda and Magneto. That?s what I wanted from the beginning and it?s a shame it came so late.  I also loved how highly Magneto continued to think of Charles regardless of their beef throughout the earlier issues. The ending scenes and a few of the fight scenes were my favorite parts and I think I might actually have to reread this book all together. *gasp*. Anyway, if you want to see Magneto in a different setting, sane, fighting for a cause, and coming out on top?this is for you. If you want to see how Magneto and his kids get along, this won?t really be for you, but you?ll enjoy the ride anyway. :P

Deadpool #6:

I don?t like Way?s Deadpool, but people, like Murs, seem to love it. Wait, sorry, I forgot what role I was playing. REDO! I LOVE Way?s Deadpool and people like Murs seem to hate it. Loser. Anyway, last issue, DP fought off some huge breasted zombie women who didn?t like his taste. This issue ties into Dark Reign and features Tigershark.

The book opens with DP hallucinating something fierce. As he?s giving this fake interview with this fake interviewer, a kid pokes him in the eye with a stick. That?s it. You want more? FINE!

As much as I don?t want to say it, this issue was actually decent. Also?the final two pages actually made me glad. I?ll just say someone Murs loves returned. While I might have enjoyed the issue more than the last?um?5, I still don?t really care for it that much. 2. Too me, it just a whole bunch of nothing that continues to happen in the series in its current incarnation and this issue was a great example of that. Maybe the Thunderbolts crossover can turn Way around like he did in the Wolverine/Legacy crossover.
=============

In other news, I hear Psylocke will be in Uncanny X-men soon, so she effectively escapes Exiles! Yay. Also, I've seen people say that Messiah War is part two of a three part event...and that there's an X-men/New Avengers crossover. This year seems to be very busy and event heavy for Marvel's merry mutants.

Black Panther trailer -- haven't watched it yet. :P

Uncanny Annual preview

Dark Avengers #1 Preview
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:46:59 PM by Previsionary »

Offline Previsionary

• Mr. "Girl, please..."
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 07:03:45 AM »
BUMP! Did no one read anything this week or is the thread just dying? Anyway, the post above this one got a few reviews added + some previes, so check those out.

X-men/Spider-man #3:

This series is ultimately interesting minus some minor problems like continuity. It’s a team up between Spider-man and the X-men through several decades. When I say decades, I mean our time…it’s probably been…1.5 years Marvel time. :P. Last issue, Pete and the Australian-esque X-men (minus-Psylocke) joined together to figure out what exactly Kraven was up to and they battle the Marauders down in the Morlock tunnels. This issue, Ben Reilly returns.

Fairly quick read and it’s nice to see Ben again even though this issue revolved around more clones. I’m not really excited to read this book from week to week especially when I compare it to the last two things I read by Gage, but it’s still nice book to have if you want to see the X-men and Spidey interacting since it rarely happens. The art could be better, but it’s passable. I’d rate it another 2.5.

Amazing Spider-girl #28:

Sad that I’m starting to review this book so far down the line. I mean, it’s literally two issues from cancellation. Lame. Over the past few issues, the book has been toying with the clone saga, but this time, it’s not a mess of a storyline that dragged on for a while. It’s actually fairly good! Go figure. The clone from the 90s storyline has finally reshown itself and May is left wondering if she’s the real deal or the fake. Meanwhile, Peter is dealing with the same problem in his own way and MJ knows nothing. Eventually, May and Arana switch bodies and…know what? Just buy a trade. :p

This continues to be a good read. It was a little tough to start reviewing this in the middle of a complex arc…but I figured someone would find it interesting. This is looking to be one heck of a finale and it’s tying up several storylines. I’ve really grown to like May and her methods as Spider-girl, especially in this issue, kind of remind me of some of Peter’s classic methods…you know, when he regularly had to rely on his brains. Too bad it’s ending, but I’m sure the transition to “Amazing Spider-man family” will be almost as good…almost. 4 out of 5. Yay.

Secret Warriors #2 preview: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26519
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:31:29 PM by Previsionary »