News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Patriot City Mod problem

Started by Ouflah, October 28, 2014, 10:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ouflah

Hey guys. It seems like I just keep having problems. I installed Patriot City to the  :ffvstr: folder, but it doesn't work. Help?  :(
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

Ouflah

Please? I think I here crickets chirping. Anyone? ...anyone?  :unsure:
-Mike Exner III

Cyber Burn

What is or isn't happening? Any error messages?

Ouflah

Well, I open  :ffvstr: and it's just like normal. The patcity folder doesn't have anything to click, if that's what it's supposed to do. *noob*

No error messages. It just acts like I never downloaded it at all.
-Mike Exner III

Cyber Burn

1.If there isn't Shortcut in the Mod Folder, then you can add one, just copy the Shortcut that you normally use to start the Game, and paste that into the Mod Folder.

2.Add a -(name of mod) and a -log to the end of the Shortcut's target E.g, "C:\Program Files\irrational games\freedom force vs the third reich\ffvttr.exe -log -ffx3"

3.Use this Shortcut to start the Game.

Ouflah

Okay, by name of the mod, do you mean the folder, or the mod itself? Because I put -log -patcity, and it still just launched as always. Does it matter where the folder is? Because it's in the :ffvstr: folder, FYI.
-Mike Exner III

Ouflah

Actually, scratch that. I forgot the quotes.  :banghead: Now, I'm getting an error message.  :doh: But whenever I try to add the quotes, it gives me this message:

The name 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich\ffvt3r.exe -log -patcity' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.
-Mike Exner III

Ouflah

Okay, this is interesting. This guy said not to put the quotes. But then it does nothing, for me.
I have no idea what to dooooooooooo
-Mike Exner III

Cyber Burn

Unfortunately, I don't have Steam, so I don't know how much help I can offer, but I did find the following thread that discusses what I think you need:

http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=54557.msg737684#msg737684

Hopefully, if this doesn't work, someone with a little more knowledge on the matter can help you out.

spydermann93

Quote from: Ouflah on October 30, 2014, 12:47:08 PM
Actually, scratch that. I forgot the quotes.  :banghead: Now, I'm getting an error message.  :doh: But whenever I try to add the quotes, it gives me this message:

The name 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich\ffvt3r.exe -log -patcity' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.

Assuming that the mod folder is actually called "patcity",

The target line should look like: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich\ffvt3r.exe" -game patcity -log (notice that the last three arguments are outside of the "")

and the start in line should look like: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich\patcity\..\"

Ouflah

Well, I tried what you linked to, CyberBurn, but that didn't help.

Also, spydermann93, I tried that too. No luck. And currently I'm 100% sure the mod folder's name is patcity.
Thanks for trying! It's kind of a bummer that I can't find anything to work.
-Mike Exner III

spydermann93

Well, there are two more things that I can think of:

1) (Assuming you have Windows 7) Do you have your User Account Control disabled?  If not, use "Help and Support" option in the start menu and search for "Turn off User Account Control".

2) What do you see in your "patcity" folder? There's a very slim chance of this, but the mod might have not installed correctly.

Also, are you able to run any other mods besides patcity?

Ouflah

I have windows 8. And isn't User Account Control kinda important to keep out viruses? I mean, can I just turn it on, go into Patriot City, then turn it off?

Two folders.  One says "manual", the other says "Missions". I installed it twice already and it was the same, so I bet it's alright.

I don't have any other mods, this is my first try at it.
-Mike Exner III

spydermann93

Quote from: Ouflah on October 30, 2014, 10:22:51 PM
I have windows 8. And isn't User Account Control kinda important to keep out viruses? I mean, can I just turn it on, go into Patriot City, then turn it off?

Two folders.  One says "manual", the other says "Missions". I installed it twice already and it was the same, so I bet it's alright.

I don't have any other mods, this is my first try at it.

There should be more that just those two folders.

Here's an image of what I have in my folder

As for the UAC providing protection against viruses, I am unsure about that.  I've disabled UAC on all of my computers (they were/are all Windows 7), and I've yet to ever get a virus.  If you don't feel safe doing it, then I would recommend that you DO NOT turn it off.

However, what I have found in my experiences with UAC is that when certain executables are ran (i.e. installers), some of the files that are created by the executable are placed in an alternate folder.  In most of the games that I've dealt with (mainly mods), this causes issues, such as incomplete installations and run-time errors.

Ouflah

Oh, I figured it out, and it was a really noob-esque mistake. I downloaded the bug fix, not the mod itself.  :doh:

Everything is good now. Thanks guys!
-Mike Exner III