• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Aristic Challenge 15 Avatar Randomizer - View the Art!

Started by Pyroclasm, March 24, 2007, 07:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroclasm

Due to requests, here is an avatar challenge.  This month will be a theme randomizer much like Challenge 13, only you will be assigned a random avatar AND a random theme.  So to sign up, just post in the thread indicating you're in.

On April 1st I will randomly create assignments for each participant from the avatars posted in the Avatar Permissions Thread and the list of themes at the bottom of this post.  If you missed that thread, head on over and post your avatar so it can be included in this challenge.

Start posting as soon as your image is done.  There is no due date for the actual posting, so don't panic as it approaches the challenge's "end date".

NEW TO THE CHALLENGES: IF you want to be told a random art style to attempt, please indicate so in your signup post. (This may include but is not limited to Kirby, Timm, Anime, etc.)  This is not mandatory, but some people may be gluttons for punishment. :D

This challenge ends on April 30th.  If you want join this challenge anytime in April, PM me so I don't miss your post.  You can sign up again if you did your first pic and want another go. After April 30th, I will not give out assignments.

Rules:
1) It must be your art.  No editing of other people's art.  (This includes recolors, collages, sprite edits, etc.) Some have asked me to clarify: You CAN do sprite art, but it has to be your own base.  Obviously it's an honor system, but you don't wanna get called out on it and end up ruining it for others.
2) Nothing from Freedom Force or City of Heroes/Villains.  (Both have their own sections on FR.)
3) Although technically not a work in progress thread, you can update the image in your post at any time.
4) Forum rules still govern subject matter.

Remember this is open to artists of all levels and all styles!

List of themes: (No one will get the same assignment)[spoiler]
(When you are given your assignment, you will get a name from the Avatar Permissions Thread and a number that corresponds to this list.)
1) Horror: Your character has been or is transformed into a creature of darkness.
2) Western: Your character came to be during the height of the Old West.
3) Ultimate: Reimagined for a gritty modern world.  This isn't your 616 kind of hero!
4) Child: Any age from baby to teenager.  Your character started his adventures at an earlier age.
5) Pirate: Forget modern times, your character existed durring the age of pirates.
6) Post-Apocalypse:  Some sort of disaster has ruined the world.  Despite that, your character continues to survive.  Conversely, perhaps the character came into being in this harsh new world instead.
7) Alignment Swap:  Good becomes evil.  Evil becomes good.  What would your character be like if he played for an opposing team?
8) Movie: Due to the success of a related comic character's movie, you've been given the task of redesigning this character for a mainstream movie audience.
9) Medieval Fantasy: Dungeons & Dragons, Lord of the Rings, Warcraft, etc.  You know the drill.  The character exists in a medieval world of magic & monsters.
10) Space Opera: Aliens, Space-age knights, Smugglers, etc.  Your character exists in a sci-fi fantasy universe or perhaps just a galaxy far far away...
11) Old: The character is just shy from living in the home of retired superheroes.  Perhaps this is at the tail end of the character's existence, perhaps how he/she would look on his/her last mission...
12) Robot: The character was built, not born.  It's abilities are completely artificial, perhaps being a robot, cyborg, android or other construct.
13) Next Generation: A new person has taken on the mantle of the character.  Maybe the character is related, hired, or perhaps just following in the footsteps of a legend...
14) Gender Swap: Make a female version of a male character or vice versa.  Not crossdressing but rather what if your character was born of the different gender?  Or what would someone else look like if they were mimicking the style?  Think Superman/Supergirl or even Captain America/American Dream.
15) Silver/Golden Age: Totally retro.  The character existed in comic's past.  Part camp, Part innocence, all hero.
16) Pet/Furry: Lycanthrope (Captain America as Wolf), animal hero (Underdog) or perhaps just the character's faithful companion (Krypto)...
17) HEROES: This is a world where the ordinary are extraordinary and vice versa.  Just regular people who come upon powers.  What would their job be like?  What would they look like in a world where the heroes aren't musclebound beefcakes and their identity takes precedence over their abilities?
18) Evolved: The character's abilities have been increasing and adapting.  Think how over the years some comic characters gain new abilities or mutate into new forms.  Perhaps their powers are forced into overdrive making them freaks among freaks...
19) Magic/Supernatural: All heroes in this world derive their abilities from a magical or supernatural source.  Magical items, deals with demons, magical spells, etc.
20) Pro Wrestler: The world has no superpowered people.  But the luchadors are the most popular form of entertainment.  When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room... It's for fun...
21) Historic: The catchall category for other historical time periods not covered in other categories.  Ancient Greece, the Rennascaince, Ancient Egypt...
22) Steampunk:  Victorian era sci-fi adventure ala Jules Verne, Alan Quartermain, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...
23) Megalomaniac: Not just a villain, but the uberpowered bast**d that destroys the world's supers for their cause.  If you get this theme and a megalomaniac, just try and push the envelope further.
24) Fascist: Cold and imposing.  Where heroes are enforcers and villains are dictators.  Everything you'd expect for a Cold-War Soviet Union, 1984, Logan's Run, V for Vendetta, Equilibrium, etc.
25) Failed Clone: Whether the result of genetic experiments, a duplication machine or a magical bolt of energy, the character was duplicated.  Only it didn't turn out so well.  The character may be underpowered, overpowered, or just plain ugly.[/spoiler]

Assignments Posted!

PS: Have an additional theme idea you want added to the list?  Have a non-randomizer idea you'd want considered?  Just head over to the Challenge Ideas Thread.

captainspud

The Pwime

Count me in.  Avatars are definitely my thing.  ^_^

Protomorph

The Hitman

gdaybloke

Thunder

Cardmaster

I know I still haven't submitted for challenge 14 yet (it's coming, really!) but count me in for this one. ^_^

-CM

Reepicheep

I'll be in this one, so long as I don't get a worm again.

Uncle Yuan

I can't draw a lick, but can I nominate my avatar to go on the list?  Or is it limited to the artists' avs?

:mouth waters either way:

Reepicheep

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on March 24, 2007, 04:01:48 PM
I can't draw a lick, but can I nominate my avatar to go on the list?  Or is it limited to the artists' avs?

:mouth waters either way:

If you signed up on this thread, you're in.

Carravaggio

Pyroclasm

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on March 24, 2007, 04:01:48 PMI can't draw a lick, but can I nominate my avatar to go on the list?  Or is it limited to the artists' avs?
From the first post:
Quote from: PyroclasmOn April 1st I will randomly create assignments for each participant from the avatars posted in the Avatar Permissions Thread and the list of themes at the bottom of this post.  If you missed that thread, head on over and post your avatar so it can be included in this challenge.
This thread is for the artists to sign up to make art.  The other thread is to have your avatar included in the pool.  No one here will be included in the pool unless they are listed in that other thread.  Note: To be considered you need to have a complete entry in that thread.

UnkoMan

I'm in. I was thinking about maybe taking on a random style but nahhh... I'm not that masochistic.

juancho

if a micro counts as art i am in,
if not, i am not

Pyroclasm

In reference to micros:
Quote from: PyroclasmNo editing of other people's art... You CAN do sprite art, but it has to be your own base.

Glitch Girl

I'll give it a shot.  think I can squeeze it in (still waiting to see the rest of challenge 13 though)

Pyroclasm

Current Participant List (Just for my records.  Will update accordingly.):
[spoiler]Captain Spud
The Pwime
Protomorph
The Hitman
Gdaybloke
Thunder
Cardmaster
Reepicheep
Carravaggio
Unkoman
Glitch Girl[/spoiler]

If I misread your post, and your name should or should not be on this list, please let me know.

Pyroclasm

Assignment List (Cross-reference the number to the first post for the theme description.):

Captain Spud: The Hitman + Post-Apocalypse ( 6 )

The Pwime: Edgar Hammond + Pirate ( 5 )

Protomorph: Figure Fan + Silver/Golden Age ( 15 )

The Hitman: Kitt basher + Evolved ( 18 )

Gdaybloke: Protomorph + Historic ( 21 )

Thunder: Rick Battlemage + Failed Clone ( 25 )

Cardmaster: The Verdant Vowel + Space Opera ( 10 )

Reepicheep: Deanjo2000 + Horror ( 1 )

Carravaggio: The Phantom Eyebrow + Robot ( 12 )

Unkoman: Nymph + Medieval Fantasy ( 9 )

Glitch Girl: Spring Heeled Jack + Western ( 2 )

You can find their listing int the Avatar Permissions thread in General Discussion.  You can alter anything--their name, origin, etc. to make it work for the new design.  Good Luck Everyone!

gdaybloke

Historic Protomorph? Just how historic can I get? If I go too far, he'll be more Protozoa than Protomorph...

Pyroclasm

errr..I know I'm probably falling for the bait, but look at the first post.  Historic doesn't mean an earlier version of the character...

The Pwime

ok, sweet...a musket-wielding, swashbuckling, gold-looting Mr. Hamrick.

I've got some ideas alredy...I think I'll watch Pirates of The Carribean again for some extra inspiration  :D

maybe I'll make him some minions, too...

The Hitman

Super- charged Kit Basher... I already have ideas for this one...

gdaybloke

Quote from: Pyroclasm on April 01, 2007, 07:45:38 AM
errr..I know I'm probably falling for the bait, but look at the first post.  Historic doesn't mean an earlier version of the character...
Well, duh, but if I choose a prehistoric era for my historic age...

Pyroclasm

gdaybloke

s'why you love me. Well, that and the awesome combo of my sexy accent and cute tushie.

Figure Fan

Quote from: gdaybloke on April 01, 2007, 02:18:08 PM
s'why you love me. Well, that and the awesome combo of my sexy accent and cute tushie.

Riiight..that's it..exactly..yeah..we'll go with that..

A Silver/Golden Age me, huh? Sounds like it could be awesome!

juancho

Quote from: gdaybloke on April 01, 2007, 02:18:08 PM

:tmi :tmi :tmi :tmi :tmi :tmi :tmi :tmi
Seriosly, now i find a use for GG TMI smiley, quite a nasty one though, hahahahahah

Well good luck buddies with your asignments, i cant wait to see what u got in store for us

Pyroclasm

Quote from: The Pwime on April 01, 2007, 09:57:01 AM
Technically, his avatar's name is Edgar Hammond.

The Pwime

Quote from: Pyroclasm on April 01, 2007, 06:05:31 PM
Quote from: The Pwime on April 01, 2007, 09:57:01 AM
Technically, his avatar's name is Edgar Hammond.

i know.  I just said it like that because, well...I had no idea who Edgar Hammond was, and spent about 5 minutes trying to find out in the avatar permission thread.  :lol: