• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Artistic Challenge 22 - Randomizer (Assignments Posted!)

Started by Pyroclasm, October 24, 2007, 03:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroclasm

It's that time of the month again!  Keeping it simple this time around.  This is pure Randomizer.

You name a character you want to draw.  Don't care where it's from.  It doesn't have to be a comic character.  You will keep this character.  On November 1st I will randomly assign one theme from the randomizer (see list at the bottom of this post) to each participant.  You apply the theme to your chosen character.  See? Simple.

Start posting as soon as your image is done.  There is no due date for the actual posting, so don't panic as it approaches the challenge's "end date".

IF you want to be told a random art style to attempt, please indicate so in your signup post. (This may include but is not limited to Kirby, Timm, Anime, etc.)  This is not mandatory, but some people may be gluttons for punishment. :D

This challenge ends on November 30th.  If you want join this challenge anytime in November, post here and PM me so I don't miss your post.  You can also sign up again if you did your first pic and want another go. After November 30th, I will not give out assignments.

Rules:
1) Virtually any style--  Drawing, painting, CG, sculpture, action figures/dioramas, etc.
2) It must be your art.  No reposting or plagerizing other people's art.  Obviously it's an honor system, but you don't wanna get called out on it and end up ruining it for others.
3) Nothing from Freedom Force or City of Heroes/Villains.  (Both have their own sections on FR.) If you make something (like a skin) that coincides with your art entry, you can link to the another thread.
4) Although technically not a work in progress thread, you can update the image in your post at any time.  You can also create a new thread featuring your work in progress and link to it.  I just don't want other artist's work buried under repeated postings of your progress.
5) Forum rules still govern subject matter.

Remember this is open to artists of all levels and all styles!

List of themes: (No one will get the same assignment)[spoiler]
(When you are given your assignment, you will get a name from the Avatar Permissions Thread and a number that corresponds to this list.)
1) Horror: Your character has been or is transformed into a creature of darkness.
2) Western: Your character came to be during the height of the Old West.
3) Ultimate: Reimagined for a gritty modern world.  This isn't your 616 kind of hero!
4) Child: Any age from baby to teenager.  Your character started his adventures at an earlier age.
5) Pirate: Forget modern times, your character existed durring the age of pirates.
6) Post-Apocalypse:  Some sort of disaster has ruined the world.  Despite that, your character continues to survive.  Conversely, perhaps the character came into being in this harsh new world instead.
7) Alignment Swap:  Good becomes evil.  Evil becomes good.  What would your character be like if he played for an opposing team?
8) Movie: Due to the success of a related comic character's movie, you've been given the task of redesigning this character for a mainstream movie audience.
9) Medieval Fantasy: Dungeons & Dragons, Lord of the Rings, Warcraft, etc.  You know the drill.  The character exists in a medieval world of magic & monsters.
10) Space Opera: Aliens, Space-age knights, Smugglers, etc.  Your character exists in a sci-fi fantasy universe or perhaps just a galaxy far far away...
11) Old: The character is just shy from living in the home of retired superheroes.  Perhaps this is at the tail end of the character's existence, perhaps how he/she would look on his/her last mission...
12) Robot: The character was built, not born.  It's abilities are completely artificial, perhaps being a robot, cyborg, android or other construct.
13) Next Generation: A new person has taken on the mantle of the character.  Maybe the character is related, hired, or perhaps just following in the footsteps of a legend...
14) Gender Swap: Make a female version of a male character or vice versa.  Not crossdressing but rather what if your character was born of the different gender?  Or what would someone else look like if they were mimicking the style?  Think Superman/Supergirl or even Captain America/American Dream.
15) Silver/Golden Age: Totally retro.  The character existed in comic's past.  Part camp, Part innocence, all hero.
16) Pet/Furry: Lycanthrope (Captain America as Wolf), animal hero (Underdog) or perhaps just the character's faithful companion (Krypto)...
17) HEROES: This is a world where the ordinary are extraordinary and vice versa.  Just regular people who come upon powers.  What would their job be like?  What would they look like in a world where the heroes aren't musclebound beefcakes and their identity takes precedence over their abilities?
18) Evolved: The character's abilities have been increasing and adapting.  Think how over the years some comic characters gain new abilities or mutate into new forms.  Perhaps their powers are forced into overdrive making them freaks among freaks...
19) Magic/Supernatural: All heroes in this world derive their abilities from a magical or supernatural source.  Magical items, deals with demons, magical spells, etc.
20) Pro Wrestler: The world has no superpowered people.  But the luchadors are the most popular form of entertainment.  When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room... It's for fun...
21) Historic: The catchall category for other historical time periods not covered in other categories.  Ancient Greece, the Rennascaince, Ancient Egypt...
22) Steampunk:  Victorian era sci-fi adventure ala Jules Verne, Alan Quartermain, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...
23) Megalomaniac: Not just a villain, but the uberpowered bast**d that destroys the world's supers for their cause.  If you get this theme and a megalomaniac, just try and push the envelope further.
24) Fascist: Cold and imposing.  Where heroes are enforcers and villains are dictators.  Everything you'd expect for a Cold-War Soviet Union, 1984, Logan's Run, V for Vendetta, Equilibrium, etc.
25) Failed Clone: Whether the result of genetic experiments, a duplication machine or a magical bolt of energy, the character was duplicated.  Only it didn't turn out so well.  The character may be underpowered, overpowered, or just plain ugly.[/spoiler]

ASSIGNMENTS POSTED!

PS: Have an additional theme idea you want added to the list?  Have a non-randomizer idea you'd want considered?  Just head over to the Challenge Ideas Thread.

Cardmaster

Okay. I'm in. For real this time. I need something to draw.

Pyroclasm

Quote from: Cardmaster on October 24, 2007, 03:15:38 PM
Okay. I'm in. For real this time. I need something to draw.
Heh.  Then name your chosen character. ;)

Cardmaster

Sorry mate, it's been a while. ^_^

My character will be.... Green Lantern!

-CM

Carravaggio

UnkoMan

As always, I throw in my hat. Even when I'm barely around.

For my character, a favourite of mine... Madman.

daglob

Quote from: UnkoMan on October 25, 2007, 08:18:38 AM
As always, I throw in my hat. Even when I'm barely around.

For my character, a favourite of mine... Madman.

Y'know, I've got a Madsuperman and a Supermadman skin from the Madman Superman Hullabaloo. Maybe I should post 'em to Character Obscura...

...and I'd like to take The Shadow.

Mowgli

Pyroclasm

Will be handing out assignments sometime tomorrow evening after I've returned from Halloween clearance shopping.  If you want in, ya better sign up. :)

<shameless bump>

Pyroclasm

Ok, maybe I'll have a chance to do something.
I'll try my favorite video game character: Morrigan from Darkstalkers.

Pyroclasm

Just ran the randomizer.
Cardmaster chose Green Lantern and must do Western!
Carravaggio chose Superman and must do Steampunk!
Unkoman chose Madman and must do Space Opera!
daglob chose The Shadow and must do Post Apocalypse!
Mowgli chose IronMan and must do Magic/Supernatural!
Pyroclasm chose Morrigan and must do Pro Wrestler!

daglob

Man, can't you just see John Wayne as a Green Lantern? Or Jimmy Stewart!
And I'd love to see Madman in a Wally Wood Spacesuit...

And The Shadow as Mad Max!

Gonna be fun...

UnkoMan

Space Opera, eh? I've gotten that once before. I think it was on the last pure randomizer challenge. Good thing I love it.

Yeah, these ones are going to be exciting.

Cardmaster

Hahahaha, Western Green Lantern? MAN I have such a good idea! I can't wait to start! :D

-CM

Carravaggio

The Man of Iron! Strange Visitor from another planet! The Steam-powered protector of Metropolis!
This was my first idea for the steampunk Superman, A man who uses a electro harness to enhance his unique pysique a hundredfold, resulting in Golden Age Superman type power levels.

The second idea was a bit more thought out, and i would like to draw that as well, time permitting. In this the harness extends to act more like an exoskeleton, with large goggles/filters to provide the range of supervisions, a jetpack to provide flight and a servo harness to provide increased strength. Additionally this Superman would have a forcefield generator to provide the trademark bulletproof-ness.
THIRDLY i imagined Lex Luthor, in the Industrial Revolution getting ahold of Kryptonian tech and revolutionising mankind with it, extending the age of steam well beyond its tenure in history.
Unsatisfied at being the very height of technological advancement, Luthor looks to improve his own physical power, and to that end develops the "Superman Harness", a solar powered device designed to bestow increadible power upon the wearer. All Luthor's attempts to get the machine up and working fail due to an unknown X Factor. While pouring over war records he comes across one Clark Kent, who showed a unique bloodtype. Kent now worked as a miner (almost never seeing the sun). Luthor approaches him and asks him to don the harness. SHoudl i work Luthor would shut the harness down (he always has a failsafe/killswitch), capture Kent and study him to replicate his unique blood type.
Around this time work had completed on the new Luthor Building, a marvel of moren construction that far surpassed the highest buildings at the time. Luthor takes Kent to the building,which was actually designed to act as a giant solar battery. It has been absorbing solar energy since ots completion, with thousands of solar panels (the windows) drinking in yellow solar radiation.
Luthor hooks Kent up to the building/harness, turns it on, and naturally all that solar power kick starts Clark's long dormant Kryptonian power.
While this Superman gains his powers through the use of steampunk type technology, he eventually would become independent of it.
This accompanied a bunch of ideas for a steampowered JLA, with:
a tesla type Batman wielding a variety of kooky gadgets,
steam engined legged Flash,
a cyborg Wonder Woman (perfect woman 'built' or made by advanced society etc.)
a martian manhunter who goes under the name of John Carter and relies more on his psychic/astral projection powers,
a Nemo-esque Aquaman whose atlantean tech makes him one of the richest and most sought after kings of a nation, but his outlaw activities to protect the seas put him at odds with everyone else,
and a GL that was the fiirst man in space (using steam/atlantean tech!) and was exposed to green lantern energy. It disrupted his cohesion and turned him into pure willpower, which is contained in his deep sea diving suit like space outfit.
I'd like to draw all this, but again, it relies on time.

Pyroclasm

Very cool.  Glad the assignment spawned such creative ideas. :)

Cardmaster

Green Lantern of the West

Alan Scott was the finest, (and youngest) Sheriff that Emerald Valley had ever seen.
Every morning he would walk out, resplendent in Emerald Valley's traditional green sheriff's uniform, and breath in the morning air. He'd give a smile and a wave to all the passersby, always making sure to aim a wink at the young women, who all thought him to be the most handsome man in town.

One morning, though, when he came out of his office, something was wrong. The town was deserted. He looked around; an eerie chill creeping up his spine. It was as though something had come in the night and swept every member of his town out into the desert. As he walked the deserted streets, he couldn't find anything until he stumbled upon a strange set of footprints leading out into the hills.

With barely a pause, Alan began to follow the trail, pulling his holsters tighter around him. He kept walking and walking, going on for hours; only his willpower keeping him going.

As he followed the footprints, the winds started to pick up, blowing them away. Eventually, he was left with nothing to follow, all alone in the howling sandstorm. Squinting his eyes against the grains of sand, all he could distinguish was a strange green glow. He began to follow it, trying to find any place to get out of the sands. After struggling to get through the storm he finally came to a cave carved into the side of a cliff.

Finally getting to the cave and falling to his knees, Alan took a moment to recuperate. Looking around him, he saw that in the cave there were carved millions of ancient glyphs and symbols, obviously from a long-gone native civilization. The strange green glow came from somewhere in the back of the cave. Climbing laboriously to his feet, he began to walk towards the blinding light. When he arrived at the back wall, he found a tiny recessed cavity in the wall, where the glow was coming from. Sitting in the cavity was a small green ring, with an ancient glyph carved into its surface.

Curiously drawn to the ring, Alan picked it up. It felt strangely right in his palm, although he had never seen it before, and so he placed it on his finger.
Immediately he felt an incredibly powerful energy surge through his body. The glow in the cave began to pulse and shift, condensing into a vaguely humanoid shape, standing in the middle of the cave. A voice began to speak.

Alan Scott, the voice said You have on your finger the last ring of the Green Lanterns, an ancient race of guardians of these deserts. We were human, like you, but armed with great power provided by the spirits of the sands. It was our job to protect the citizens of the desert and the world, but it wasn't enough, and we were eventually wiped out by the same evil that has decimated your town. You have been chosen to continue this legacy, using the might of the Green Lanterns to track down this evil. With this ring, our greatest weapon, you can have power limited only by your imagination. You must use this power to help the weak and the helpless. For in brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape your sight. Let those who worship evil's might beware your power: Green Lantern's light.

And Alan did go forth to challenge any who worshipped evil's might, using the power of the Green Lantern on his never ending quest to find the evil force that wiped out his town and the Green Lanterns before him.

For he is Alan Scott: Green Lantern of the West!

Carravaggio

I like it Cardy, nice story too. When i first saw western GL i immediately though about him making his guns with the ring, glad to see you thought of something more original than that.

UnkoMan

I love the backstories on these guys. Backed up by some fine looking pictures, too.

Car, the cape/jacket thing is an interesting idea. I'd love to see you go further with the other idea, though. Steampunk JLA would be top drawer.

Card, that's a heck of a costume there. I like how you went with white and green instead of black and green. It really fits. Heck, I'd like to see this story progress too, actually.

Good jobs, guys.

BentonGrey

Those are both awesome!  I really like the pose you captured Card, nice work.  Car, I've always been a sucker for Steampunk stuff, and I have to say, I REALLY want to see that Nemo-esq Aquaman!

Carravaggio

Quote from: UnkoMan on November 08, 2007, 10:28:32 PM
Steampunk JLA would be top drawer.
Quote from: BentonGrey on November 09, 2007, 12:49:46 PM
I REALLY want to see that Nemo-esq Aquaman!
Its all in the works, Batman is almost done :)
It will be slow but i intend to design them all.

daglob

After “The Big One”, things were bad. The bombs kicked up so much dust that clouds covered the sun. Then came the rain. Someone said that a bomber was shot down over the polar cap, and all the nukes went at once. There may not be a polar cap left. Anyway, there were weeks and weeks of rain. In all the dark and wet, a lot of growing things died. A lot of the animals we used for food died.
   There was no government afterward; refugees say that Washington is just a big glowing hole in the ground. So are New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Norfolk, Charleston, Miami, L.A., San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, Galveston, and Pensacola. Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, St. Louis, both Kansas Cities, Denver, and New Orleans weren’t hit as bad, but they didn’t get off untouched.
   Things changed fast. At first, scientists and engineers were valuable commodities, things to be bought, sold, or traded. After about eight months, it was farmers. I’ve been told that there is still an abundance of dust in the atmosphere, and there isn’t as much sunlight reaching the ground. At the same time, the ozone layer is in tatters, and harmful rays have no trouble getting through. You farm at twilight and daybreak, and keep covered up as much as possible when you’re out in the sun.
   I find no consolation in the fact that the enemy is probably as bad off as we are.
   Some of the cities and communities have tried to organize, with varying degrees of success. Some have become dictatorships, some have become communes. Others have gone wild and are worse now than when the rains stopped. Then, like something out of a bad science fiction move, we have the Road Gangs. They took old trucks and cars and fixed them up like rolling forts, and they raid cities and farms for food, and wherever they can they steal fuel. One day that fuel is going to run out; I wonder that they will do then? Change to steam? Anyway, they are usually spaced out on some kind of drug or something, even methanol, or hallucinogenic mushrooms, or anything that will give them a “high”. Over time, the Road Gangs have become more organized. It’s said that they have taken over a few cities themselves, and maintain them with armies of slaves.
   They say he lives out in the Radlands, where no man can live, out among the muties and the “walking dead” that have absorbed too many rems to last long. He seems to come out of nowhere, in a car as silent as he is. At least he’s silent until he wants you to know he’s there. He always seems to know where he’s needed, too. He accepts no reward of any kind that anyone can see. No one knows just what he gets out of all this.
   The first time I saw him, I had a noose around my neck, and was being dragged of toward something that used to be a police paddy wagon. My mistake for going out early trying to get a little ahead of the game, and maybe not get so hungry this winter. Anyway, the guy that was dragging me, a hulking mass of steroids with a shaved head wearing little more than boots, a loincloth, and tattoos, stopped and asked “What’s so funny?”
   Then his head exploded.
   Once the pressure was off my throat, I could concentrate on something besides trying to breathe. Echoing around the little group of drugged out savages was a laugh. It seemed to go on and on and on, without pause for breath, and it seemed to be coming from everywhere. One of these bright boys said “Da Shadduh”, just before the shotgun blew away his middle.
So there he was, all dressed in black, hat jammed over his head, shotgun in one hand, a huge pistol in the other. You could almost see some kind of something like a bandage under the brim of his hat, but the glowing red eyes were quite clear. Some of the Road Gangers ran, but a few tried to fight back. They didn’t last. He holstered the shotgun in a contraption on his thigh, and pulled another one of those big pistols out from under his coat. I’ve been told they were Desert Eagles, supposed to really be some kind of weapon in its day. Every time he shot a ‘Ganger they fell down and didn’t get up. If the Road Gangers got too close, he’d hit them; he’d hit them hard and so fast you almost didn’t see him move. And he got hit. In one move, he trapped the ‘Ganger’s hand between his arm and side, holstered his pistol, and swung his own hand into a vicious chop to the ‘Ganger’s Adams apple. The twist of the guy’s neck was more like a mercy killing after that. Then some bright boy pulled out a rifle and shot the guy in black. It knocked him down, and he rolled over twice and came back to his feet. The guy with the rifle just stood there with his mouth open, making a perfect target for the bullet that killed him. Another brave soul jumped him from the rear and stabbed him in the back. The Shadow spun and caught the guy’s arm, twisted it so hard I cold hear the bones break forty feet away, then kicked him in the back of the head so hard I could hear the skull break too.
   Then all was quiet.
   The Shadow walked over to me, picked me up like I was a baby, cut the rope on my wrists and took the noose off my neck. He asked if I was alright, his voice kind of dry and whispery, clear, but crackly like it was over an old telephone at the same time. He suggested that I get few cuts and scratched I had suffered looked at, then walked over to his car. It was black, looking more like some kind of aircraft than a car. He climbed in and drove off. The only sound the car made was the sound the tires made crunching the gravel on the road.
   Others he’s saved have said other things, thing like seeing him fall over a hundred feet and get up; not just get up but get up, climb back up, and throw the guys who threw him off the building off themselves. Someone else said some ‘Gangers down south found an old anti-tank rocket and shot that car of his; blew it to a million pieces. Apparently they just ticked him off. And they say he went deep into a glow-hole to rescue a couple of kids before the rems got ‘em. Then he went back in after he got the kids out so as to get rid of the muties that had kidnapped the kids in the first place. He’s been cut, stabbed, shot, axed, clubbed, burned, run over, irradiated, crushed, and blown up. Nothing seems to stop him. He never gets tired, never seems hurt, no one has ever seen him stop for food or drink. As a matter of fact, he’s politely refused food and water when offered
   So the question in my mind isn’t so much “Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men”, as “what”.

Sword

Fantastic Image as usual, daglob. You should sell your work in poster form.

Carravaggio

Pure Gold
great narrative as well. i would read this if it were a comic.

Mowgli

Charged with the protection of the kingdom by the holy church, but denied their assistance... Sir Anthony of the House of Stark made a deal. In exchange for his immortal soul, he was granted the means to summon the spirit of armor...

... the Man of Iron.

His actions would be misunderstood for years to come. He would be branded a villain by the church and many who heard the story as it passed down for generations. But he cared not. Sir Anthony knew his sacrifice would protect the future of the kingdom and save the lives of all who lived there.

UnkoMan

The thing about Madman is... well, drawing him in a space setting is just so right. I guess I could have changed his costume more, but maaannn... I just like drawing Madman.

A young boy named Frank was obsessed with space adventures. Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, he dove into the stories of those folk with rabid enthusiasm, but there was one in paticular that he loved more than all the others.  Mr. Excitement, King of the Galaxy! His fondest wish was to be just like his hero, exploring the vast reaches of space.

It came as no surprise to anyone when he was abducted by aliens, in broad daylight.

What did come as a surprise, however, was the actuality of space. The aliens conducted horrible experiments on the boy, twisting and turning his body. Converting it into something else. Finally, years later, when they tired of him, they tossed a now young adult Frank into a giant freezer. There he stayed, in pieces, among other species the aliens had captured.

Millenia later, this same ship was found by a more benevolent race. It had long since crashed on some god forsaken planet. Somehow, Frank's body was still in good enough condition to repair... mostly. It was the same general shape, but was now a rotting blue hunk of flesh. Yet, even with the disfigurement his body had stayed strong and fit. In fact, it was more fit than any human had ever being. Not only that, but his experience with death had granted him a small degree of precognition and empathic powers. Of course, he had no recollection of his past, save a vauge memory of his old favourite adventure hero, Mr. Excitement.

Donning a costume somewhat similar to the one he remembered, Frank decided to stay with the friendly aliens who had rebuilt him, and join them in their space explorations. They christened him the Madman for his general enthusiasm in the face of danger. Frank, however, was just finally having the fun he always sought.

daglob

Cardmaster

We should do the other way around next time; pick a genre and get randomly assigned a hero.  ^_^ :P

-CM

Pyroclasm

Daglob: Still have mine to do.  I'll work on it when I'm finished with the calendar image.

Cardmaster:  Post that idea in the ideas thread so we can keep it in mind for the next randomizer.  http://freedomreborn.net/archive/index.php?topic=41424.0

Everyone: Those pictures all rock in different ways.  This turned out to be a really good randomizer this time around.  :thumbup:

UnkoMan

I really like that idea Cardmaster. I am in total agreance.

And yeah, this one totally ruled.